The MT-07 Forum

keeping my fz-07 front wheel down

Guest ybcheese

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Honestly, as weird as it sounds, I found practicing my wheelies really taught me how to control the bike better and I know the threshold of the bike by instinct now. So when I want to take off fast and keep the wheel on the ground, I know exactly where the throttle and my body should be instinctively. This also saved my butt when a guy did a burnout next to me and I throttled it to get away. I knew how to deal with the wheelie, rode it out and smoked him while looking good doing it.   8-)  Turn your weaknesses into strengths and you'll be a better rider for it. 

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first wheelie was accidental. Since then I can keep it down, and do.....mostly. It is fun to pop up the front wheel every so often.

I wheelied in front of a cop once (accidentally), but he let it go. I'd like to think he thought it was a good one...

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Global Moderator

Now I am getting more time and confidence in the bike I find the front wheel coming up when I excelerate hard. I try not to...most of the time.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I have felt my front wheel "get light" but never come off the ground. I think I might panic if that happened! Someday I might give it a try.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Ypu should just practice wheelies on your Husband's FZ-09. He won't mind, right? :)

I have felt my front wheel "get light" but never come off the ground. I think I might panic if that happened! Someday I might give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

With any bike always grip the throttle with the wrist bent so it is low than the center line of the grip, if you are thrown back in your seat throttle will naturally be rolled off as your wrist straightens out, also relax no death grip is needed to ride. Practice a smooth roll on and keep the rear break covered. The rear break will always drop a wheelie.

• Premium Member

Sit forward, lean over the front end, and be very slow with the throttle. That should keep you out of "wheelie danger"! :)

Why can't left turners see us?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
crazycracka501

I did notice when my wife was on the back (100 pounds at the max) did make the front end very light. She likes to go fast so I really have to be careful with throttle control. Just another reason to actually practice wheelies  8-)

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• 4 weeks later...

i cant actually power wheelie the 07 and i have tried to ( but maybe i'm just being a wuss on the throttle or my 190pounds is holding me back )
however this thing does endo's so easy that i'm actually somewhat worried about flipping her over in a panic situation.

i cant actually power wheelie the 07 and i have tried to ( but maybe i'm just being a wuss on the throttle or my 190pounds is holding me back ) however this thing does endo's so easy that i'm actually somewhat worried about flipping her over in a panic situation.
You are definitely being a wuss with the throttle then.. Haha I'm about 205 lbs and I can wheelie in the first 2 gears not problem and sometimes in 3rd as well.

Now i am sure everyone wants to wheelie there fz-07. And from what I hear you can power it up in 3rd. Dose anyone have any advice or tips on how to keep the front wheel down?

Lean forward & rotate the throttle slowly to WFO to keep it down.

Or, lean back & time your handlebar TUG with throttle WHACK! Off you go dancing! :-)

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1zA1q2AeMw]

Catfish ...

i cant actually power wheelie the 07 and i have tried to ( but maybe i'm just being a wuss on the throttle or my 190pounds is holding me back ) however this thing does endo's so easy that i'm actually somewhat worried about flipping her over in a panic situation.
You are definitely being a wuss with the throttle then.. Haha I'm about 205 lbs and I can wheelie in the first 2 gears not problem and sometimes in 3rd as well.

Wait so help me out here, am i supposed to roll on the throttle steadily but fast or just snap it open? Cause snapping it open just feels wrong :D

Wait so help me out here, am i supposed to roll on the throttle steadily but fast or just snap it open? Cause snapping it open just feels wrong :D
Well, it all depends on what you want to do.. Lol If you want to do a wheelie while accelerating, you roll the throttle steady but fast, with maybe a small snap to get the wheel up in the first place. If you just want to do a show-off wheelie that only lasts about 10 feet, snap the throttle and try to ride it out. remember to keep your foot covering the rear break and be prepared to slam the front down if you feel yourself starting to 12 o'clock. Another method that takes some practice it pulling in the clutch, revving the engine up to about 5000 RPM or so, and releasing the clutch. It's more complicated than that, but that's the general idea. You can search the YouTube for videos regarding this technique.

Yeah i don't think i will be trying to clutch my way into a wheelie anytime soon
:D
so i geuss ill just drive down to the parking lot and try to grow a pair :D

I'm no wheelie expert by any means. Love watchin them now. Skin don't grow back so good when you get old.

I used to accelerate in first gear .... close the throttle .... and snap it open. You can sit back as far as you can and/or pull back a bit. It all depends on the bike.
Clutching from a standstill is real dangerous.

I've fooled around with my 07 and it lifts with just hard acceleration in first so go easy on throttle snapping.

Wheelies are awesome!

pantheraleo

Wheelies are, in fact, awesome.

Doing a power wheelie from the start isn't hard. You gotta get her rolling just a bit and then whack the throttle. Practice a little harder each time until you get it.

I don't go too far with 'em, cuz the (stock) front suspension doesn't need to be abused....and slamming the front from 11 o'clock certainly will do just that.

Careful out there, guys.

BTW, stoppies are fun, too.

cherenkovblu3

Heres my go at it, sry in advance for crapy mic quality and how excited I get

[video size=large" src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhPeDdx6fcE&feature=youtu.be]

pantheraleo

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhPeDdx6fcE&feature=youtu.be" size="large]
Nice!

Not bad at all. First wheelies typically generate this response....next time, hold it longer, and very slowly ease off the throttle to slowly bring that front down.

Also, be careful rolling your wrist "up" like that. It can really create issues with throttle control. Try the F6 throttle tube mod, so you don't have to wind up your wrist to whack the throttle.

Nice road, too. Reminds me of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

cherenkovblu3

Thanks for the advice Panther! Definitely want to try the throttle tube mod in the next couple week. That may or may not be the Blue Ridge Parkway :P During the weekends it can get a little busier up there and they may or may not be running radar, during the week its not so bad.

I love how this thread went from how to keep it down to how to keep it up. I brought it up once in second on a hard shift. And I can say it's one of the most thrilling things I've done outside a racetrack or bedroom. :P

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhPeDdx6fcE&feature=youtu.be" size="large]
thanks for the vid! i'll give it a try once the weather clears up :D  loved the reaction too, OOOOOH YEEEAAAH xD 

edit: judging from the video it seems my problem is the lenght of the throw on the throttle. but i'm not really that commited to wheelies to go buy myself a throttle tube ( well that and ive allready spent waaaaay to much money in a short amount of time ) 

pantheraleo

thanks for the vid! i'll give it a try once the weather clears up :D  loved the reaction too, OOOOOH YEEEAAAH xD 

edit: judging from the video it seems my problem is the lenght of the throw on the throttle. but i'm not really that commited to wheelies to go buy myself a throttle tube ( well that and ive allready spent waaaaay to much money in a short amount of time ) 

The R6 throttle tube cost me under 15 dollars shipped and took 20 mins to install...its one of my favorite mods, not just for wheelies.

maybe i should have also mentioned that i'm a newish rider ( on big bikes ) and i feel a mod to give me a more agressive throttle response might not be the best thing for my health and safety right now :D 

• Premium Member
phicurious86
maybe i should have also mentioned that i'm a newish rider ( on big bikes ) and i feel a mod to give me a more agressive throttle response might not be the best thing for my health and safety right now :D 
Smart thinkin', and frankly you don't need the throttle mod to get that front wheel to shoot skyward.

If you really crack the throttle starting out in 1st you'll have a hard time keeping the front end down, stock throttle or otherwise.

Archived