The MT-07 Forum

keeping my fz-07 front wheel down

Guest ybcheese

Guest ybcheese

Now i am sure everyone wants to wheelie there fz-07. And from what I hear you can power it up in 3rd. Dose anyone have any advice or tips on how to keep the front wheel down?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest montana07

I'm a new rider so maybe I'm just a bit of a wimp on the throttle, but so far it hasn't been an issue at all. 150 miles so far

• 4 weeks later...
migglesworth

When I ride, I keep my index and middle finger on the brake at all times. This actually helps me to not dig into the throttle too much, since the more gas I give it, the farther my fingers are off the brake. I'm just braking in my 07 so I haven't gotten into too much trouble with the front wheel yet.

• Global Moderator

I lean forward when I accelerate hard. I have not had any trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground. Of course weighing 205 might be part of it.

Yea in all reality... I wish my front wheel came off more. 196lbs here

I found out that first gear easily picks up the front though ;)

If you lean forward enough the front wheel will stay down. I'm 155 lbs and I've full throttled my buddy's fz09 and kept the front wheel down.

• Global Moderator

I saw all those youtube with people doing wheelies on a FZ/MT and it got me worried when I took delivery. But I have had no issues with keeping the wheel in the ground. Maybe it's my body position or something. I have about 1500 miles on it felt light at the front only once. It feels planted, even when at full acceleration.

never had a bike get away from me
Throttle control

"It takes an idiot to do cool things; that's why it's cool" - FLCL

I was riding with a passenger and I unintentionally had the front lift up a few times, wasn't even full throttle. (I'm not a carless or reckless rider).

• Global Moderator

I can see having a passenger would make it a lot easier for the front wheel to come up. Moving the weight further back on the bike is going to make the front end lighter.

I have 900 miles on my bike now and have never lifted the front wheel. And i do get on it all the time. I've even tried to power it up in 2nd and I think it may have come up just a wheee little bit. But i do weigh 200lbs so maybe thats it.

• Global Moderator

I have not lifted the front wheel either. I always lean forward when I get on it hard as I want to keep the front wheel down. And I weigh 205.

The front end can come up through 3rd, just lean forward if youre going to hit it hard.

82 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim Black (Passed Away)
15 Yamaha FZ-07 White

I have not wheelied it yet but I have not snapped the throttle super hard. I did a small endo under hard braking once already though.
I have a Ninja 300 and the FZ requires a lot less pressure on the front brake.

Greenhound386

Hard to imagine anyone having issues with accidental wheelies on this bike. The torque required to lift the wheel seems to have a limited range (between ~3K - 6K RPM). If the wheel hasn't come up by 6K RPM, it's not coming up at all (at least for me).

2011 ZX-6R
2015 FZ-07

I had the same question about wheelies.
I'm trying to chose between a Honda CB500F and the FZ-07 for 1 hr rides around the rural areas where I live.
Since I am short and light (5''7" & 140#) I want a light weight bike that I can flat-foot, but I like the power of my cb650sc.
Thanks for all of the answers.

As long as you ave an ounce of common sense you won't get bucked backwards off the bike. Once in a while the front wheel might lift up off the ground barely but ya just back off for a second and everything right as rain. Or, ya just twist it a lil more and ride a big gnarly wheelie down the road while one handing waving at everyone. That works too!

• 5 months later...

I can power wheelie easy in 1st and 2nd, no matter how hard i try in 3rd it won't come up more than an inch or 2 when i try to power wheelie, I don't feel comfortable doing power wheelies though i feel more control of how high it comes up when i clutch, i can only wheelie in 3rd if i am at 40mph, sit all the way back in the rider seat towards the passenger seat, where my butt/lower back is actually touching the passenger seat, pull in the clutch, practically hit red line, then pop the clutch, oh and i'm 5'6 and 110 pounds LOL, i try for the life of me to gain weight, but i take after my mom, shes 50, 5'5 and 110 pounds...
Heres me at the snake on Mulholland Highway
4KQYLzm.jpg

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

scordiaboy515

If you don't want it to wheelie under full throttle, just keep your foot on the over the brake pedal and apply a little brake when you want the front end to stay planted...very simple but effective.
Back in the day...Doug Domocus aka "The Wheelie King" came up with this technique, he could ride wheelies for miles on end. He did it on street bikes, dirt bikes, atv's.  Road racers also used this to keep the front end on the ground under full throttle before traction and wheelie control was invented......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YINDOL7oOU

• 1 month later...
When I ride, I keep my index and middle finger on the brake at all times.
While it's not a fatally bad habit to get into, it really isn't the safety enhancer that you might think. Admittedly on an R6/R1 caliber machine using the "recommended" 4-finger (even 2-finger) brake could have you standing on your nose. But the FZ's brakes aren't THAT good. In fact your 3rd finger contributes a lot of force too which could be mighty important. Also when you split-finger it's not uncommon for you to end up winding on the throttle because you're trying so hard with the other 2 fingers. This freaks people out and they just "let go". I've dodged a few missles on the MSF parking lot...Good braking is simply a matter of practice, practice, practice. Collision avoidance is a matter of situational awareness and instinctively correct behavior. Roll off, reach, SQEEEZE (not grab).Now if we're talking about threshold braking in and out of corners on a race track, or making slight changes to speed as you maneuver past a slower liter bike on the outside, split-finger away.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived