Sign in to follow this  
atxjax

M4 install problem heads up.

atxjax
So I go to install my M4 slip on today. Instructions say just cut old pipe off just above the old muffler and slip new one on.

Much to my surprise look what awaited me. It was welded together up the pipe about 2.5 inches.

359y649.jpg

I had to use a angle grinder and be ever so careful to just cut into the welded part. Aftermath of separation is this.

vpkkee.jpg

After smoothing the welded part off with a grinding wheel was able to fit onto the M4. And when testing it it has a small leak. I took it back off and gooped up the M4 and the pipe itself with that high temp transmission silicone gasket maker to see if it seals it up. The whole process took me about an hour being careful not to eat into the pipe itself.

Just a head sup for those wanting to get the M4 exhaust. Check to see if your pipes are welded together up from the muffler.
  • Like 2

myrcode
Same thing happened with my install. Had a leak also and had someone weld it together.

Edit:. Just saw pictures. My weld wasn't that bad. There was just a lot of it holding the headers together.

r1limited
Are you the original owner of that bike? That weld is amateurish and whom ever did it had no clue how to weld stainless. Just by the looks it appears to had been a stick. but the grind shows how cold that weld was anyway.

mjh937
That definitely looks like someone was repairing it.  Here is my stock weld for comparison. 

IMG_0571.jpg

atxjax
Are you the original owner of that bike? That weld is amateurish and whom ever did it had no clue how to weld stainless. Just by the looks it appears to had been a stick. but the grind shows how cold that weld was anyway.
Im the second owner but thats how it came from the factory. The bike is only 9 months old and the PO didnt mess with the exhuast.

Beemer
That doesn't look like a weld, it looks like cinnamon coated Captain Crunch.

r1limited
Im the second owner but thats how it came from the factory. The bike is only 9 months old and the PO didnt mess with the exhuast.
I am sorry but that did not come from the manufacturer like that.  If it did then I am wrong but I am pretty confident that that is a human fubar of epic perportion :) 

bbsteinnewyork
That what you get when you go the cheap route. You'd be better off all stock

jhn17843
Looks like the previous owner installed a M4 exhaust and welded the factory one back on before it was sold to you. Definitely not a factory weld.

Mr.Puss
Yikes! "Someone" wasnt being straight with you on this one. Regardless, nice job separating that mess into something functional.

aruba1
Glad to see that the problem was not with the M4 but it was with your exhaust. Good job in correcting the issue. How do you like the M4? I am thinking about getting one.

ducttapewd40
Mine were welded together too from the factory, just not nearly as much or as ugly. It was a pretty quick fix with a band saw up the middle and cleaned up on a grinder.

atxjax
Glad to see that the problem was not with the M4 but it was with your exhaust. Good job in correcting the issue. How do you like the M4? I am thinking about getting one.
So far I like it. I am running it with no baffle right now but it's getting too loud now that it is breaking in. I think Im going to place the baffle back in.

bbsteinnewyork
So far I like it. I am running it with no baffle right now but it's getting too loud now that it is breaking in. I think Im going to place the baffle back in.
I tried reinstalling the baffle and it ran poorly