The MT-07 Forum

Got Hit

worty

Well it happen to me on Tuesday morning going to work.  Going through a roundabout and a lady in a car didn't even look and smashed into me sending me flying across the road while she ran over the front of the bike.  I had full gear on so no road rash but i did end up braking my collar bone in 2 spots so i had to spend the day at the hospital getting pins and plates in my collar.  Its is very sore right now but i think it would have been alot worse if i wasn't wearing all my gear.  The bike itself is in bad shape.  loads of scratches, leaking oil and the forks are bent pretty good.  I'm hopping they write it off so i can get a new one instead of repairing it.  had less then 6000km on it.  loved that bike.  Now i'm off work for the summer with no bike and couldn't ride one even if I had one.  The lady was charged with careless driving thanks to the 4 witness that stopped.

here is my xray of my collar bone.  when i go see the doc next week i will get a picture of the repair.

collar_bone.jpg

Well it happen to me on Tuesday morning going to work.  Going through a roundabout and a lady in a car didn't even look and smashed into me sending me flying across the road while she ran over the front of the bike.  I had full gear on so no road rash but i did end up braking my collar bone in 2 spots so i had to spend the day at the hospital getting pins and plates in my collar.  Its is very sore right now but i think it would have been alot worse if i wasn't wearing all my gear.  The bike itself is in bad shape.  loads of scratches, leaking oil and the forks are bent pretty good.  I'm hopping they write it off so i can get a new one instead of repairing it.  had less then 6000km on it.  loved that bike.  Now i'm off work for the summer with no bike and couldn't ride one even if I had one.  The lady was charged with careless driving thanks to the 4 witness that stopped. 
here is my xray of my collar bone.  when i go see the doc next week i will get a picture of the repair.   Only take a split second for this kind of crap to happen.. Hope you heal fast.. 
valvestem  

collar_bone.jpg

ducttapewd40

Yikes, good thing it wasn't any worse. That break looks almost identical to the way a buddy of mine broke his last summer and apparently it heals best that way. Plus from the damage, I'd bet they'll total the bike like you want. Not much consolation there but there's worse things than laying on the couch doped up on pain meds for a while.

Ouch! Happy it isn't worse! I swear I think road rash is worse than a broken bone. Thank goodness for good gear. Good luck with the healing and getting the bike back.

Dan

Wow, so sorry that this happened to you man. Good job being geared up or this could be alot worse.

I have always thought that careless driving for cagers who hit motorcyclists is a pretty weak charge. It should be a higher charge when you run into some body wth your car.

But, you now have a big legal opportunity to sue her and her insurance company. Do not sign freaking anything without having an attorney read it first. Attorneys take a portion of the money, but a good one can seriously increase the amount of money that you receive.

Get a good injury attorney, don't sign even your insurance companies paperwork without the attorney. You are off work and probably will have future pain and suffering and mental distress from this. You are certainly experiencing post traumatic stress disorder and that can effect your relationships and total mental well being for the rest of your life.

I don't want to sound like Saul Goodman, but get a good attorney and get compensated. You will certainly need the money more than you can imagine right now. She was charged, your legal door is wide open but closes the minute that you decide to just let the insurance companies "work it out" on their own.

Wow, so sorry that this happened to you man. Good job being geared up or this could be alot worse.  
I have always thought that careless driving for cagers who hit motorcyclists is a pretty weak charge. It should be a higher charge when you run into some body wth your car.

But, you now have a big legal opportunity to sue her and her insurance company. Do not sign freaking anything without having an attorney read it first. Attorneys take a portion of the money, but a good one can seriously increase the amount of money that you receive.

Get a good injury attorney, don't sign even your insurance companies paperwork without the attorney. You are off work and probably will have future pain and suffering and mental distress from this. You are certainly experiencing post traumatic stress disorder and that can effect your relationships and total mental well being for the rest of your life.

I don't want to sound like Saul Goodman, but get a good attorney and get compensated. You will certainly need the money more than you can imagine right now. She was charged, your legal door is wide open but closes the minute that you decide to just let the insurance companies "work it out" on their own.
Thats sound advice Cruizin!   

Thats sound advice Cruizin!   

My buddy got hit three yearsa go. Turns out the lady that hit him was on the clock in her job, coming back to the office from a meeting, and crashed into him.

Three years later, he has a new house, new truck, new RV, new boat and a bunch of money in the bank.

She hit him, she was found at fault, a decent attorney will jump out of his shoes to take this case and go for blood.

This is the first i've ever been in. 26+ years of driving so im pretty green dealing with insurance companies. I'm not sure if I can sue or not being from Ontario, Canada but I now intend to do a little research to find out if i can get anything for my pain and suffering while she is relaxing nicely at home. 
Thanks

This is the first i've ever been in. 26+ years of driving so im pretty green dealing with insurance companies. I'm not sure if I can sue or not being from Ontario, Canada but I now intend to do a little research to find out if i can get anything for my pain and suffering while she is relaxing nicely at home. 
Thanks

In Ontario Canada:

you can sue the other driver for compensation for both present and future loss of income and earning ability, if you can prove that his or her negligence led to your loss. There is no requirement that your injuries be serious or permanent. Compensation for loss of income is limited to 80% of the net income you lost, starting seven days after the accident and continuing until the end of the trial. After the trial, compensation may be based on 100% of your gross future income loss.

But yeah, no pain and suffering lawsuits in Canada unless you are paralyzed.

Get well soon and there are lawyers that do free consultation to answer your questions. GL!

Beemer

• Premium Member

Sorry about your accident glad you are ok for the most part.

If the bike is a loss its give you a chance to get a different bike like a speed triple or a monster. Not telling you not to get another FZ because it is a good bike but its something to think about.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Sorry to hear. This may sound cold, but the bike is replaceable. Glad you weren't TOO badly hurt, but surgery sucks regardless.

Hopefully you can find a nice recliner to sleep in for a week or maybe 6, while it heals up. .

here is the damage to my Helmet and backpack.  My sena 20s came off the mount and its lost now to.  They had to cut my jacket to get it off of me so the hospital has it.
Is the Helmet any good after a crash?  I'm pretty sure insurance is replacing everything anyways.

20170630_174519.jpg

20170630_174615.jpg

Sorry to hear. This may sound cold, but the bike is replaceable. Glad you weren't TOO badly hurt, but surgery sucks regardless.  
Hopefully you can find a nice recliner to sleep in for a week or maybe 6, while it heals up. .
thanks.  pain isn't too bad.  sleeping is another story.  I've been a stomach sleeper all my life so now i have to sleep on my back.  still trying to adjust.

• Premium Member

@Worty As I understand it any helmet that's been in a crash should be replaced. Even if there's no visible damage since damage (permeant compression)can still be done to the foam which is what helps protects your brain from damage as much as, or more depending on the circumstances of the crash, the hard outer shell.

Glad you escaped with no permanent injuries.

Have you figured out if there was anything you could have done different to avoid the collision? I realize sometimes you're just screwed.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

thanks.  pain isn't too bad.  sleeping is another story.  I've been a stomach sleeper all my life so now i have to sleep on my back.  still trying to adjust.

Toss the helmet. Every helmet manufacturer will tell you to toss it and not because they want the repeat business.

Testing proves that impacts damage the internals of the helmet, even if there is no exterior cracks or rubs.

I go even further. I dropped a $600 helmet on the concrete once, and then I threw it away. I didn't sell it, because if it it isn't good for me, it isn't good for someone else either.

That may sound crazy, but I am kinda of fond of my brain, my motor skills and my ability to wipe my own butt.

I'm really into gear. There is a thread in the forum "close out pricing on gear". Search for it above and take your pick of quality discounted helmets and gear.

I toss my helmets after two seasons or less. I have had many accidents on my dirt bikes, head first into trees, into boulders, even off a cliff once. I ride crazy off-road. And no brain damage yet.

My wife would probably disagree with that last statement.

I really hope you get proper compensation. Sometimes it doesn't work out and it's not right. Ticks me off.
You'll get back to riding soon but it's a miserable time now. Yeah, don't use that helmet.

I used to sleep on my left side. Then i launched myself from a ladder and snapped my left femur, just behind the ball. 16 years later, still with 3, 90mm long screws in there, I still don't spend much time on my left side. it'll take some patience, but with some luck, you should be able to go back to belly sleeping in time.  
Hate to say it, but that nice Shoei did its job, time for new - besides, it should be on her dime, not yours.  

@worty As I understand it any helmet that's been in a crash should be replaced. Even if there's no visible damage since damage (permeant compression)can still be done to the foam which is what helps protects your brain from damage as much as, or more depending on the circumstances of the crash, the hard outer shell.  
Glad you escaped with no permanent injuries.

Have you figured out if there was anything you could have done different to avoid the collision? I realize sometimes you're just screwed.
There was nothing i could have done.  I was only going around 30 to 40 km/hr around the roundabout since it was a cool morning and my tires where still cold.  the guy that was behind the lady that hit me says he was doing 60 km/hr and the lady passed him just before the roundabout  and didn't hit the brakes till after she hit me.  I was right where she merges into the turn.  I got body slammed out of the way.

I really hope you get proper compensation. Sometimes it doesn't work out and it's not right. Ticks me off. You'll get back to riding soon but it's a miserable time now. Yeah, don't use that helmet.
My insurance is great help right now.  they told me my gear will be all replaced.  they still haven't looked at the bike.  if they write it off i will take a little hit on that cause i don't think I had where you get what you paid for the bike but used ones are only a few hundred cheaper but i could be wrong.  The big thing is my lost wage.  I think i'm going to have to get a lawyer depending on what her insurance says when they call me next week.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Sorry to read about your accident. Hope you heal quickly and are properly compensated.

Archived