The MT-07 Forum

Wheelie monster

dankwhoolies

dankwhoolies

First lets talk about 1st gear. Holy hell. It scares me every time. Comes up way to quickly and does not want to stay up. 2nd gear I have to try and I can chase it all day, I can never keep it up where I want it. 3rd gear forget about it. I could never clutch up properly, but I've seen people do it on this bike and I didn't know if it was a power wheelie or clutch up. Is this just my throttle control or does anyone else get this? I'm putting the r6 throttle tube on when it comes in and I'm looking at going up 2 on the rear sprocket. I think that might be overkill though. Any opinions or personal experiences with this combo? I bought this thing strictly to do some dank whoolies fyi.

• Premium Member

stock bike you can do some DANK WHOOLIES. You need throttle control and practice, practice, practice!!!!!!

You can ride em for a country-mile in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Clutch up is the right way to wheelie. Power wheelies are there in 1st, and 2nd, but not proper technique. 3rd is my favorite.

The r6 throttle tube helps some, but less than you might think. Sprockets are totally un-necessary IMO to get this bike up. I have a buddy I ride with that went down 2 teeth in the back and I can still wheelie easily. The stock gearing is perfect for this bike IMO. I would only go up one maybe 2 teeth if it was a track only machine and you want a bit more drive out if the corners.

just my .02
~Pete

'16 FZ07

dankwhoolies

The throttle tube is happening. I don't like the way I have to crank it to open it up. And I don't expect it to be a fix all but it'll help from what I've read. I love the power wheelies in 2nd it just feels right but I know I need to use the clutch to really get it up in 3rd but 4th? I'm going to try that.. Just kinda worried I'm gonna 12oclock it in 2nd. That's what I did the first time I tried on my gsxr 600, after that I've tried but never got it right. I just spin the rear tire or rev it like an idiot

dankwhoolies

I could only ever wheelie properly on my dirt bike. Too easy but a whole different playing field. This thing feels similar but it's got so much more punch and the engine braking is ridiculous that every time I bring it up it brings itself back down

I'm putting the r6 throttle tube on when it comes in
I saw your earlier post (deleted?) about the motion pro R6 throttle but didn't get around to replying.  
The short: don't bother with the motion pro #01-0094, the difference is barely noticeable over stock throttle. If you want a quicker turn throttle you need the genuine Yamaha oem R6 item, explained on page 4 of this thread:
https://fz07.org/thread/828/installing-r6-throttle-tube?page=4

Stock throttle tube is best for wheelies in my opinion, gives finer control with it's larger range of movement, YMMV.

So you don't do to your Yamaha what you did to your Suzuki, get a super cheap dirt bike and practice wheelies in the dirt before you destroy your nice bike.

Beemer

Don't be talking about 1st gear being too crazy until you've gone +2 on the rear sprocket like I have.... sheeeet

Archived