The MT-07 Forum

What - you are THAT old?!?

faffi

• Premium Member

Our "cell phone" culture doesn't have to learn problem-solving or learn from experience in general since it is far easier, convenient, accepted and taught to simply call and ask for help/rescue/guidance/instructions/etc. We shall never be better as a species nor society for this. It is not necessarily a bad thing to not expect to see much of what we have wrought run to its logical and apparently oncoming conclusion.

Len Vale-Onslow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Len_Vale-Onslow

This guy was still riding at 102, but here in the UK
it is very noticeable that motorcycle riders are getting
older, not helped by our weather and the trouble and expense
of getting a licence, bikes have gone from a means of transport
to a Sundy toy ride a modern bike in winter and it will dissolve
in front of your eyes, mudguards have been overtaken by fashion,
You can find many bikes here at 3 years old with less than 2000 miles
though some do have big mileages scooters probably due to their weather
protection and ease of use often have higher miles.
Me I will ride on till I cant through the leg over the bike hopefully a few years
yet, my bikes will likely get lighter and smaller but ride on as they say.

Speaking of coming at age - a couple of months back I read about a British gentleman who compete in trails every weekend, year round. Not only in England, but also on the other side og the canal, on mainland Europe. He'll be 85 this summer!

Born 1992 here.

Just want to say it's awesome to see the FZ-07 bringing together people of all ages into such an excellent community. You all have helped fuel my obsession with what is my first motorcycle, and inspired me to learn every detail I can about the bike.  :)

Dang, much respect to you old geezers still riding at 50+, hopefully motorcycles still light that fire in me when I'm that age. I can't even imagine what bikes will be like when I'm 50.

only 1 born in 1951 .all alone again.
wait a minute its not alone again.oh well
I've been riding bikes since 1968 ,started off on scooters till I turned 21 and bought my 1st proper bike a Suzuki T350 rebel.
nearly killed myself. open the throttle on a scooter put put put but did the same on the rebel and the buggers shot off like a scolded cat.
down the back alley behind the shop f%ck F%ck wheres the f%%ing brakes straight onto the main road.lucky nothing was coming either way.
dont remember having skid marks in ma pants but wasn't far off.lol

Dang, much respect to you old geezers still riding at 50+, hopefully motorcycles still light that fire in me when I'm that age. I can't even imagine what bikes will be like when I'm 50.
Likely still recognisable as a bike but electric and even less practical, but still a bike. 

They will probably be electric. As long as someone figures out how to make a battery that can get 200 mile range that is lightweight.

I test rode a zero, they are great bikes but the rnage is the only thing holding them back right now.

who you calling' a geezer? oh, yeah, never mind. Thanks, but some day you'll find out that even 60+  don't mean yer dead.  
Wonderin what bikes will be like when yer 50, that's ironic. I'm glad bikes were nothing as fast when I was 25 as they are now. Even with today's  far better tires, brakes and suspensions, the need for speed  as a young'n back then would have been far more life (or at least license)  threatening. 

only 1 born in 1951 .all alone again. wait a minute its not alone again.oh well
I've been riding bikes since 1968 ,started off on scooters till I turned 21 and bought my 1st proper bike a Suzuki T350 rebel.
nearly killed myself. open the throttle on a scooter put put put but did the same on the rebel and the buggers shot off like a scolded cat.
down the back alley behind the shop f%ck F%ck wheres the f%%ing brakes straight onto the main road.lucky nothing was coming either way.
dont remember having skid marks in ma pants but wasn't far off.lol

You've got 2 years on me.  
My 1st real bike was a 1965, CB72 (aka 250 Hawk) Honda, bought in 1970. Today, if it was in the same condition as when I sold it in 1973, I'd be afraid to ride it any further than to the end of my driveway..

• Premium Member

"Dang, much respect to you old geezers still riding at 50+" Someday son, with luck, 50 will seem quite young to ya. (rofl) (rofl) (rofl)

Born 58 and age doesn't matter a bit when on the bike as long as I can get myself on it.

Although I am 77, my natural age is (still) 19. As to necesary lighter bikes I am glad there is an MT-03, though not for a long time I hope.

Just do it! 

age is just a number well thats how I look at it.
you think riding a bike at that age ya wanna see me wiv me grandkids.lol
its the only time I can get away without some grumpy old buggers shouldn't be doing that at your age.
running around looking like a fairy.lol
toothfairy.jpg
[/img]

SLUG said, "Dang, much respect to you old geezers still riding at 50+, hopefully motorcycles still light that fire in me when I'm that age. I can't even imagine what bikes will be like when I'm 50."

That reminds me of the reaction I get when I walk into the local skateboard shop. 
   I'm over 50 and I was skating before the kids behind the counter were born. Some of them ignore me somewhat, others ask how old the kid is that I'm buying gear for. Once they realize that I actually still ride my long board they usually warm up to me.

Ten days before i was born Sputnik was beeping in Orbit

2017 Yamaha FZ-07
2014 Yamaha BWS125

1953 for me.
AGE is NOT just a number. I can still do every thing I could at thirty, but it is slower and hurts more. I can do MORE things than I could at 20 though.
Used to race triathlon and race MTB's since I was in my thrities. Somewhere around 55 things stop maintaining themselves and you start getting slower and more injured. Since then, power and endurance has definitely dropped off ( now 64). Did a tough 50km MTB training day yesterday ( real mtb not road or bike paths). Everything aches. Always does. Still, 50km mtb race in the rainforrest in 3 weeks.
So for the youngies, you can still do everything , it just hurts afterwards for longer.
My reaction times on the motorcycle are slower though. Not much , but there. Raced ( road track) until I moved 4 years ago. When Jack Millar comes around the outside of you like you are standing still ( even though your knee puck is making scraping sounds on the inside concrete), you know you ain't fast anymore. Of course I was on a 125 commuterlite ( stock engine) and he was on a 450 supermono. That's my excuse anyway...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator

Suuuure..... @gregjet that was the issue ;)

1990 for me... im a youngin apparently in this crowd.
Oh well the bike is fun/freeing who cares what age you are

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived