The MT-07 Forum

Looking for better sounding exhaust

roosterxp

I have been watching YouTube and stuff looking for a different exhaust for my bike. Some guys are needing ear plugs after install of new exhaust... Way too loud for me... Im looking for exhaust with a little more aggressive sound that is louder than stock but not too loud. Whether it be a slip on or full exhaust. Also if it needs to be full on exhaust is it mandatory to get a fuel programmer? Im not looking for much HP gain just a little better sound.

2017 Yamaha FZ07 Black on Black. Akrapovic Carbon, 2WDW tune. Punisher Rad guard. National Cycle windscreen,

There are no "slipons" for this bike in the traditional sense because the entire exhaust system is one single unit. The widely available slipon (involves cutting your stock muffler off) for the FZ is the M4 which is considered one of the loudest popular exhausts for this bike.

For the most part, most full exhausts have a similar loudness and/or sound for this bike. The closest thing for what you want is the Akrapovic Titanium with baffle inserted BUT I will warn you it isn't much louder than stock. I mean, it is louder than stock, but you will probably be underwhelmed greatly- and especially the fact that it is one of the most expensive full exhausts for this bike (or maybe it is the most expensive?).

To be fair, full exhausts on this bike aren't "way too loud". But then, I've been wearing earplugs since day one for wind noise protection. IMO, harleys or straight pipes are way too loud, and a full exhaust on this bike doesn't reach those levels.  TBH, what you seem to have in mind aftermarket exhaust-wise, I'm afraid does not exist for this bike.

EDIT:  Actually, now that I think about it, your white whale will be the Akrapovic Titanium with a MODIFIED baffle.

Fuel programmers/flashes, aren't mandatory perse, they never are mandatory, but most people will tell you it will greatly benefit you on several levels. For one, your bike will run optimally, run less hot, and in the long run, wear and tear on the engine will be less (due to less heat). You will eliminate most backfire (or all, if it is an ecu reflash) unless you like backfire. If you get a reflash, you will eliminate fuel cut so you get a much smoother throttle. You will recover lost torque.

So, do you need a fuel programmer/flash? For the average joe, not really, but will it make your bike run better and be more enjoyable? Yes. And it will theoretically make the engine last longer.

topazsparrow

Akrapovic TI and Carbon with the baffles in are a very reasonable volume. They're not much louder than stock but still have a nice deep rumble to them.

If it's too quiet, just mod the baffle with a drill or cut the tubing a bit short internally.

I've got an IXIL LXB or whatever the name is now. Baffles in. It's not too loud, but louder and deeper than stock. I can still take short trips without ear plugs at max of 50mph, and I have pretty sensitive hearing so I'm told. I've got a video on YouTube with the sound compared to stock:

I rode without touching the fueling for several months, and it rode fine. I did notice a little improvement after I installed the EJK unit (got some low end torque back and some MPG gains). Not a huge difference, but a small one. So, I think you could get by without a fuel controller if you preferred not to do that. But, if you decide to add it later, like I did, you will see some small improvements. I didn't care about about HP gains, either. Just wanted a better sound. :)

I think for a lot of the exhausts if you just leave the baffles in you'll be all right.

AlbatrossCafe

Even stock, I would still wear earplugs if I am gonna be in the highway for a long time. Wind noise sucks.

Any exhaust with a baffle will achieve your goal. Just pick the sound quality/style you like best.

You guys make some good points.. I think I'm going to go with the akrapovic carbon/carbon exhaust. Maybe a fueler upgrade later. Thanks guys!

2017 Yamaha FZ07 Black on Black. Akrapovic Carbon, 2WDW tune. Punisher Rad guard. National Cycle windscreen,

Akra ti w/baffle in is nice n quiet but mean sounding. MIVV's oval carbon also with baffles in makes a nice tame rumble noise

I run the Akra Titanium no baffle, and it's not necessarily how loud the exhaust is, it's just the drone you get at holding a steady throttle position. I let my father take a ride on my bike because I wanted to hear the exhaust from a different perspective and it's really not all that loud compared to what I'm used to hearing actually riding it. At steady speeds low rpm it's actually quieter than I thought until you crack into it.

Will you need a fuel programmer. Yes. Anytime you alter the amount of air going into or out of an engine fuel needs to be compensated for whether it be ECU flash or a PCV or EJK. On a side note, Akra claims that a re tune is not needed with the Titanium system if the baffle is installed.

hugson2wheels
I run the Akra Titanium no baffle, and it's not necessarily how loud the exhaust is, it's just the drone you get at holding a steady throttle position. I let my father take a ride on my bike because I wanted to hear the exhaust from a different perspective and it's really not all that loud compared to what I'm used to hearing actually riding it. At steady speeds low rpm it's actually quieter than I thought until you crack into it. 
Will you need a fuel programmer. Yes. Anytime you alter the amount of air going into or out of an engine fuel needs to be compensated for whether it be ECU flash or a PCV or EJK. On a side note, Akra claims that a re tune is not needed with the Titanium system if the baffle is installed.

I run the same. Akrapovic titanium exhaust no baffle but with an ECU tune. I think it's loud as hell! I had my woman ride my bike so I can hear it and it's definitely loud even from third person perspective. Sounds sick though! Not to mention downshifting for a high speed turn and listening to that rumble as you go down from sixth gear to fourth. Music to my ears :P

If god created us in his image, does that mean god is an egomaniac as well?

Archived