The MT-07 Forum

Maintenance

sniperelite

sniperelite

Hey guys,

Most of my rides i take my buddy with me with this ducati hypermotard, at 30k km's (18miles) his bike needs a 'desmo service', which costst about 1100 euro (1200dollars). They adjust the valves and the chains in the motorblock itself, is this needed on a FZ-07 aswell ? if yes, at what mileage ? I can't find any information about this.
seems a bit crazy to pay 1/6th of the value of the bike on 1 maintenance. (ofc ducati-dealers charge more than yamaha but you know what i mean)
Thx in advance

• Premium Member

Many of the valve adjustments are around 26k plus miles (the exhaust seems to get a little tighter by a tick hair, but the debate is probably due to oil choice), spark plugs around 15k miles...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Ducati's are very maint. Intensive. They have timing belts and valves that need adjusting constantly.

FZ-07, check the valves at 26k miles.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Ducati's are high maintenance, you keep a lot of nuts and bolts around and with you in the travel pack. The Owners manual for the FZ is a free download at any continents Yamahas main site. Download it and do most of the mainteance yourself.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

NOW, aren't you glad yours DOESN'T have desmodromic valve actuation? Hehehe!!!

There's a good reason we buy Yams and not Ducs
For me it was more to do with the Ducati dealer being 400kms from where I live, and less to do with the maintenance that they require. 

Desmo valves have to maintain extremely tight tolerances to function properly since they do not use valve springs. With a Desmo system the valves are physically opened and closed with the cam. If they are out of adjustment even .001" the valve will not seal properly on the valve seat. This makes adjustment extremely time consuming and tedious.

Man, you have to remove the gas tank just to change the battery on the monster.

• 1 month later...
firstyammerha

Just did my first service(600 mile) today at the dealership, $412.00 U.S. Best thing is now my redline is 6000 rpm which will make me more competitive with the semis and four wheelers out there.

Archived