The MT-07 Forum

When did the addiction start

r1limited

In reality motorcycling is not an addiction more of a connection between spirit and the world.  From my experiance those who ride "really ride" understand a basic truth about it and that is IMO this
"It cannot be explained other than it is how I breath and stay alive"

Motorcycling started for me when I was about 6 or 7, I was in the back of my moms baby blue ford station wagon when I looked over to see a dude in a Triumph twin.  It was at that moment the fascination started and the pestering began.  I was never allowed to own a bike as long as my mom had a say in it, but I bouhgt my first bike at 9 for $10.  The bike was a step through CT50 just like the one in You met the nicest people on a honda add.  But mine was in parts in boxes and I learned the term basket case.  I put that bike together by myself and got it running and road the shit out of it.  My mom was so pissed when she saw it and me riding it... The rest is history.  My next bike a Honda S90 or Super 90.  Knobbies, 40 foot wide MX bars (Back in the day that was normal to make a bike steer) 51 years later I am still riding, raced flat track road race and hare scrambles, built my own racers, owned a few dozen bikes, broke a lot of bones met a lot of nice people through the years and not one regret.  My wife asked me once why I married here knowning she hated motorcycles?  I responded with, why did you marry me knowing motorcycles is my first true love?

Well thats the short story as it started with a guy looking like Marlon Brando on a Triumph twin and me looking at this guy like some sort of hero then yelling MOM MOM MOM I WANT A MOTORCYCLE

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

For me, the beginning was a small tin-toy wind-up motorcycle, a racer with sidecar. I got it to my 2nd birthday in 1966 and since then motorcycles have occupied the majority of my thoughts. Nothing is more important.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

For me it started when I was a wee little girl of 5 or so. My older brother and his friend made a mini bike type of thing and he took me all over the hills on dirt trails. In high school my then-boyfriend had a vespa and we rode that all over the place. By college my then-boyfriend had a motorcycle and we rode on that. A few years later my hubs had one and we rode on that. He sold it after graduating college. Fast forward a few (ahem) years and I get this wild idea that I want to get a motorcycle licence and ride one myself. Signed up for a class, barely passed, and got a bike. That was five years ago and I wish I had done it earlier. Hubs' interest was rekindled by mine and now he rides too.

Illegitimi non carborundum

My father had ridden bikes and I got interested in 1955, aged 15. I got an Ariel 350cc ex-War Dept. despatch riders bike -in khaki- which was pushed home and needed a strip down. With my father, that was my opportunity to learn how they worked. It was working before I reached 16 (then riding legal age) and off I went. After 2 years I moved onto cars. However, 50 years later, I was back in with a Kymco Venox 250 and later adding a TDM 900. Two years ago, the MT- 07, and long may it last.

Just do it! 

[div][video src=https://youtu.be/Wc5MqJKVZtI]  Mine started with Johnny Quest.[/div]

Beemer

kriptikracing

Started when I was around 8 years old and saw my very first Kawasaki Ninja up close. Truth be told though, I think at that age I probably was more fascinated with the name "ninja" as much as seeing a motorcycle. After that, every motorcycle that looked similar was called a ninja lol. You would think my first motorcycle would be a ninja but it ended up being a Yamaha yzf600r.

When I was aorund 9 or 10 I got into dirt biking and my parents always kept me on bikes under the agreement that I would never ride a street bike til they were dead. Well about a year ago I got a wild hair and decided it was street time, and I finally broke our agreement. They're not too mad though.

• Premium Member

My father was a car-dealer mechanic since my earliest memories. I recall being around mechanical devices, many of which were racing and high-performance (such as that was at the time--very early '50s), all my life. About the earliest recollection was of my dad leading a dirt-track "jalopy" race, his first, into the last corner, being hit in the rear, and tumbling end over end past the finish line. My mother later proved to be the more successful racer, as her trophies on my shelves prove--none for dad, ironically.

Thus, it has never mattered to me if the contrivance had two or four wheels, I've loved them all and still have more of both than anyone with any sense would ever need, hehehe!!! Wouldn't have it any other way.

When i was about 10 i saw a new kawasaki ninja zx-12 (the red one with that cracking/lightning pattern thing) and instantly lost my mind. Since then its been all about 2 wheels

Archived