The MT-07 Forum

New helmet lots of wind noise

roosterxp

I have a Bell Revolver helmet, I really like it and am putting a SENA communicator in it.. however I get a ton of wind noise in it.. While im riding if i shrug my shoulders up to my helmet it really quiets it down.. what can i do to best cut the wind noise and be able to hear my speakers and stuff...?

2017 Yamaha FZ07 Black on Black. Akrapovic Carbon, 2WDW tune. Punisher Rad guard. National Cycle windscreen,

Rig yourself up some sort of baffle for the neck. I think there are a few companies that sell them... Or never use a highway.

• Premium Member

I started wearing ear plugs a while back. Recently I went on a 5 minute ride without them and it was painful. I can't imagine the amount of hearing damage people get without them. Also, you hear better with earplugs (I've got facts to back this up.)

Just sayin' ?

first the vents right behind the ears I used to cover with tape and it would cut the wind noise. this was on the Bell Vortex which is close to what you have.

Try an arai

WHAT!!!!!

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

I used to have a Bell and found it very noisy also. I have upgraded to a Shoei and while it is not perfect it is night and day better than the Bell. I too will be trying ear plugs but I have yet to find some that either don't come out when I put on my helmet or stay in my ears when I get it on. 

• Premium Member

AVG K5 is a great helmet...only gets a tad louder if I open chin vent...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

If you're looking for a quieter helmet, you'll most likely be looking at a helmet with smaller/less air vents. Chin skirts definitely help. I've actually made one by cutting up an older shirt and tucking it into my helmet. Might get a little warm tho since you're blocking the wind.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I've never come up with a way to make a helmet much quieter than it already was. Chin curtains help some, but never enough for me. I ride with ear buds hooked to my Sena. They cut out most of the wind noise without blocking traffic sounds too much and make the Sena sound much better than the speakers. If you're worried about hearing stuff around you, try 1 ear bud in one ear and an ear plug in the other. I use cheap Ifrogz or Skullcandy earbuds from Walmart and just cheap foamies for plugs. If the ear buds keep coming out of your ears, put them in so the cord points up and wrap it over and behind your ear, or get a sweat-wicking skull cap.

I cannot use earplugs. So, I have a slip of leather that goes over my head and covers the ears (like earmuffs). It has a foam pad for each ear. I make up paper tissue pads for putting into the ears. It looks ridiculous to everyone, but then helmet over it and it all stays nicely in place. Wind noise with vents open on my new AGV K5 is good and safe.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member
Where do you guys get earplugs? Any specific type? I saw some people got big bundles off amazon.
Give this place a look-see. I havent ordered from here but they do have a few decent looking trial variety packs...  
http://www.earplugstore.com/

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Be forewarned on ear plugs depending on what country and evil state you live in. But here in the US especially Cimmiefornia ear plugs is a crime punishable by flogging and having to watch Fienstien get buck stark necked

But we is rebels with pseudo cause ;)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
Where do you guys get earplugs? Any specific type? I saw some people got big bundles off amazon.
Home depot has the 80 pack of 3m orange earplugs for $15. This is what I've started using lately and it's the best. You can usually find some at any major sports store or rite-aid too.

You can find earplugs at any hardware or sporting goods store or a place like Walmart. Surefire makes some good ones for around $15 - $20, usually in the sporting goods section, foamies are cheaper (that's what I use), but you may have to try several types before you find some that stay comfortable for longer periods. Amazon is also a good place to look.

• Global Moderator
Be forewarned on ear plugs depending on what country and evil state you live in. But here in the US especially Cimmiefornia ear plugs is a crime punishable by flogging and having to watch Fienstien get buck stark necked 

Ear plugs are legal in Washington state but in-ear speakers (ear buds) are not. 

Ear plugs are legal in Washington state but in-ear speakers (ear buds) are not. 
Good to know thanks.  I for one even racing wont use plugs.  For street I want to hear everything in my mind its a safety thing.  Racing its a engine and hearing what it is doing and what I am doing 

I feel ear plugs allow me to hear the vital things while eliminating the less important stuff. In addition, I get less tired when I do not have to listen to all that background noise. Only regret is that I didn't begin wearing them the moment I started riding instead of waiting 20+ years. I'm sure my hearing would be better today if I had.

I feel ear plugs allow me to hear the vital things while eliminating the less important stuff. In addition, I get less tired when I do not have to listen to all that background noise. Only regret is that I didn't begin wearing them the moment I started riding instead of waiting 20+ years. I'm sure my hearing would be better today if I had.
Yup, I feel all that indoor races was my demise so it don't matter to much now.  I mean all that back ground noise cancels the ringing in my ears ;) 

• 1 year later...

Old thread but I've been getting horrible wind noise with a Shoei GT Air due to my windscreen forcing air up and under my helmet. It wasn't your typical wind noise and the tone of it was horrible, even with ear plugs. It was unrideable with the windscreen so I put the cowl back on.  With the cowl, the helmet was perfect. 

I was looking at the NOJ Classic and decided to make one from an old t-shirt and throw the windscreen back on to see it it would help any. Well it did.  It worked very well and I tested it without ear plugs. 

IMG_1006.JPG

Instagram: @jayparrington 

topazsparrow

I always ride with a neck gaitor for the same reason.

Thicker is better, but when the weather gets hot you want it thin for sure.

Archived