The MT-07 Forum

Leaning toward the Dobeck Performance EJK

device

Hello, recently installed the Akra ti system on my FZ, and have noticed it has become very sluggish and lost my low end torque, also, I would rather not dangerously lean out. After researching this site on other riders reviews, the DP EJK seems to be the best and cost effective route. The PCV require specific maps and time to download them and use a windows based computer, and flashing may void any warranties and just too confusing to me personally to unlock the ecu and mess with every single setting that I'm still a noob about. The Dobeck seems to keep things simple, and I am not worried about serious track times, just looking to add the correct amount of fuel to avoid damage to the engine. I am curious to know other people's settings on the Dobeck once I receive mine.

Stock air filter, will upgrade in future
Will remove snorkel later
Full akra ti, baffle in, cause ears and hearing are important and stuff

Also looking forward to dealing with their superior customer service that has been credited throughout this site as a supporting vendor.

• Premium Member

I have the Dobeck EJK and have no regrets, most now a days are getting the flash but I like the EJk.

I use an EJK and am supper happy with it. Ease of operation is simple simple simple , I like it most because you can tune where you want your power to be in a way utilizing where you set your lights on where fuel zones are located. Also I can tune "on the fly" with a simple stop because I've mounted mine on the outside of the bike. Also you can adjust for new air intakes or modifications... solid product and good quick response from the manufacturer from my experience.

• Global Moderator

I have the flash and am very happy with it. I do not think you can really go wrong either way though.

I have an ejk and now I wish I got the flash. Mostly because I want to get rid of the damn fuel cut on decel. For what it is I have absolutely no complaints with the ejk other than the fact that I have to ask the wife what color it's on every time I adjust it. Being partially color blind makes it hard to tell.

I have an ejk and now I wish I got the flash. Mostly because I want to get rid of the damn fuel cut on decel. For what it is I have absolutely no complaints with the ejk other than the fact that I have to ask the wife what color it's on every time I adjust it. Being partially color blind makes it hard to tell.
Same here, the fuel cut also seems to cause problems when taking off from a stop on rare occasions. Just when I think mine has stopped doing it, it does it again and I hate that. If your bike doesn't die on you when you take off then an EJK should be all you need. I still get some popping on decal when downshifting at higher rpm but I kinda like it. It usually just gives 3 quick pops back to back and that's it. Of course I could adjust that out if I wanted. 

Beemer

Mine has never died on me. The fuel cut annoys me when I roll off before a corner and then at the initial roll on it jerks and upsets the chassis.

• Premium Member

I was very pleased with my EJK, it was noticeably smoother and my exhaust popped less but I didnt bother to make any adjustments to work this out before I got excited for something new and swapped it out. People really seem to love the ECU flash too, I havent felt this is necessary due to the excellent results of my current config.
Currently Im running the stellar Hordpower airfilter and a PC-V loaded up with Hord's custom maps and man its something else! Like a new ride, so smooth and it keeps on pulling as far as I dare to take it. This is undoubtedly my permanent config until the bike either explodes or warps into some abstract time portal. :D Absolutely love it.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Dobeck is a very good choice.

Did you guys know that Mark Dobeck invented the Very first Dyno machine? He used to own Dyno jet. Yes, all those Dyno jet Dyno's were invented by Mark Dobeck himself.

Then, he sold the company, moved to beautiful Montana and launched the EJK Fuel controller system.

They were our very first supporting vendor on this forum and you cannot go wrong with a Dobeck EJK Fuel controller on any machine.

Did you guys know that Mark Dobeck invented the Very first Dyno machine? He used to own Dyno jet. Yes, all those Dyno jet Dyno's were invented by Mark Dobeck himself.

Then, he sold the company, moved to beautiful Montana and launched the EJK Fuel controller system.

They were our very first supporting vendor on this forum and you cannot go wrong with a Dobeck EJK Fuel controller on any machine.

Dobeck makes a great product, my complaints are with Yamaha's fuel management. They have absolutely nothing to do with dobeck :)

I have the EJK on mine, installed by the PO. Have not heard any popping from the exhaust. No running issues other than I feel power can vary a bit - somethimes it will power wheelie in 2nd gear, other times the front will stay down in first. Lots of engine braking, but the computer display say I only get 94 mpg on decel - weird if the fuel is really cut off?

The PCV require specific maps and time to download them and use a windows based computer, and flashing may void any warranties and just too confusing to me personally to unlock the ecu and mess with every single setting that I'm still a noob about. 
I have a PCV, it's very simple to use (a bit fiddly to install). It can adjust timing as well as fuelling (EJK only does fulling). 
The dynojet website provides numerous maps suitable for the 07 with various mods (and stock). You simply download the map suited to your bike and transfer it to the PCV via a usb cable. This is not the same as flashing your bike's standard ECU.

But yes, you do need a pc to use the PCV software.

If you were to compare features & potential, EJK would have the last, PCV in the middle and ECU flash for most. No surprise that the 3 options are priced accordingly, so it really comes down to the features that you personally need and your budget.

I use the EJK, the main reason being that in a few years down the road when I move on to another bike I plan on putting it back to stock and selling all the aftermarket stuff separately.

Dobeck makes a great product, my complaints are with Yamaha's fuel management. They have absolutely nothing to do with dobeck :)
Agreed, the EJK is doing nothing but good.  

Beemer

I personally like the engine braking and fuel cut it brings the front end down faster in case I roll past balance point too quickly additionally when "backing it in" that extra resistance lets the rear end break loose quicker and more controllable for me. Ejk can be set to run a little rich in the green zone to tame the engine braking by about 10-30% is what I feel.

This is strange to me; usually, rich mixture lets the engine rpm drop rapidly, while lean mixture will let it drop slowly. My old Volvo could be made to engine brake like an FZ07 by blocking off the leaning circuit on the carb, while with the circuit fully open it was almost freewheeling.

This is strange to me; usually, rich mixture lets the engine rpm drop rapidly, while lean mixture will let it drop slowly.
I think it's more like 'no mixture' under some no throttle conditions - no fuel is being injected hence the pronounced engine breaking.

No doubt related to emissions regulations rather than Yamaha's prerogatives.

• 1 month later...

I know this question has probably been asked a million times. But I'm running The Akrapovic TI baffle out as well, with aftermarket air filter, snorkel out, o2 disconnected with EJK tuner.

What EJK settings are you guys using to make the bike run top notch?

Anyone use SAFR to read the optimal settings for us using the Akra Ti?

Thanks.

Archived