The MT-07 Forum

Replacing Air Filter

rhino

Need to replace my air filter soon; with the bike stock (ie no aftermarket exhaust or ECU flash) is there any point in using a aftermarket air filter (such as MWR, K&N, DNA)?

Thanks

If you don't plan to do an aftermarket exhaust and ECU flash or not looking for performance gains then another stock air filter is fine.

My thinking is if I'm already going to be opening up the plastics and getting under the gas tank, might as well take out the ECU to be flashed and put a better air filter which then makes me feel compelled to upgrade the exhaust.

This motorcycle hobby is addictive, I tells ya!

You do you and I'll do me.

• Global Moderator

Personally I would not spend money on a fancy air filter. I wold get the ECU flashed, even with a stock system. I have a stock exhaust and 2wdw flash with the snorkel removed. It makes a huge difference in power delivery and smoothness. You will not be disappointed.

As I understand it, replacing the stock air filter with aftermarket (without any other upgrades) will provide little/no performance boast. Is that correct?

Will it cause any issue, such as running too lean?

No, the bike's ECU can compensate for that just fine.
It's the bike's exhaust that can give lean issues when swapping it out (for a less restrictive one).

No, the bike's ECU can compensate for that just fine. It's the bike's exhaust that can give lean issues when swapping it out (for a less restrictive one).
That was my thought, that the engine would only draw in as much air as needed but wasnt sure.

It would not hurt to get a K&N hey are Reusable easy to clean and yes they do make things breath. Its an upgrade not a mod

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived