The MT-07 Forum

Left side engine cover replace ( pics and How-To to follow )

atxjax

Hi all,

Looking for info on how to replace the left side engine cover. Mine has a couple of rash spots on it where the PO dropped it and I have a new cover to install. Is it just a matter of draining old ( waituntil next oil change ) 2utj287.jpgunbolting, removing the old gasket, clean up and reinstall with new gasket? 

Anyone have access to torque values?

Thanks in advance.

• Global Moderator

It looks like there is a bearing attached where that circular bump is above the oil filler. It also looks like the stator is attached to the cover. The manual is not overly clear but it seems to be a bigger job than I would have expected.

Hi all, 

Looking for info on how to replace the left side engine cover. Mine has a couple of rash spots on it where the PO dropped it and I have a new cover to install. Is it just a matter of draining old ( waituntil next oil change ) 2utj287.jpgunbolting, removing the old gasket, clean up and reinstall with new gasket? 

Anyone have access to torque values?

Thanks in advance.
here we go. there is a bearing back there. just gotta make sure it lines up. shouldn't be hard. cover_bolts.jpg

So best off just to get a new bearing instead of trying to remove the old one.

is the generator / stator bolted to the inside of the cover also?

EDIT..........

Answering my own question here. It looks like this inside and the stator is a wet stator. So Green is where the stator is attached. Blue is where the wires come out for the stator and Yellow is where the bearing goes. I'll save this for the second oil change.1scneg.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, pretty std. affair these days. The stator is bolted to the case, so be very careful with the harness and note its orientation.The bearing will supply support for the starter gear that drives the flywheel ( that's also the permanent magnet for the the alternator) thru the sprag clutch.

Screen_Shot_2017_06_19_at_6_28_50_PM.png

Thanks for the service manual pages Rick. Doesnt seem to bad but Im a bit confused. So does the tiny [HASH]13 bearing get fitted to the cover as well?

or does one of the shafts I pointed out with the red and green lines  fit to the cover indicated by the red arrow? Below.

1zvvbs9.png

ap92qq.jpg

Thanks for the service manual pages Rick. Doesnt seem to bad but Im a bit confused. So does the tiny [HASH]13 bearing get fitted to the cover as well?
Here's another page. That looks to be a roller bearing. Looks like it's in the motor and supports something called a "torque limiter" #12 Have no idea what that does - yeah it limits torque, lol.  
There are 2 dowel locators #9. Those things are usually pressed into place and don't fall out, but --

BTW, that big permanent rotor magnet is gonna try to hold onto the poles of the stator inside the cover. Once the gasket is broken free - that might take some plastic mallet taps - it might take a bit of a tug to pull the cover away from the motor.

Screen_Shot_2017_06_19_at_9_29_15_PM.png

good image hosting

This is not rocket science.

lean bike to right side, or drain the oil
Disconnect Stator wiring
Pull Case
Take out stator
Attach to new case
(If you do not have or never have put a bearing in a case have it done professionally)
Put case back on with new gasket
Easy peazy

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Not rocket science - true that.

But there are details in the picts that you'd not know w/o those picts and details - for instance - only the bottom 2 case bolts get thread locker. And I'll bet there are guys who've done this swap and wished they'd used thread locker on the 3 stator bolts.

Asking questions never hurt no one. I have an older brother @70 who continues to enjoy getting in my face when I take a bit of a shortcut on something to tell me "there's never time to do things right, but always time to do it over"

• Like 1

I appreciate evryones input on this. I can certainly handle constructive criticism. I think I see whats going on now. So gear [HASH]12 shaft goes into the bearing [HASH]8. Then the shaft I marked with the green line goes into the other little hole in the cover.

I just gotta be carefulwith a couple of things.

When pulling cover off make sure the starter gears dont fall out and get damaged on the floor

and like you said use locktite on the 3 stator bolts , the stator wiring holder clamp and those two outside bolts.
1zvvbs9.png

Not rocket science - true that.  
But there are details in the picts that you'd not know w/o those picts and details - for instance - only the bottom 2 case bolts get thread locker. And I'll bet there are guys who've done this swap and wished they'd used thread locker on the 3 stator bolts.

Asking questions never hurt no one. I have an older brother @70 who continues to enjoy getting in my face when I take a bit of a shortcut on something to tell me "there's never time to do things right, but always time to do it over"
I get it and I understand, tus the comment on a service manual.  What my statement is is simple, people make more of something than what it is.  Back yard mechanics, forum know it alls etc etc blah blah blah all have a opinion.  It is my experiance that owning a service manual is the first tool to buy for any motorcycle from there it depends on what you want to do and how confident you are.  Asking questions, getting clarity and direction is always welcomed as well as the outcome of smart ass answers or humer answers and r diliberate answers such as this is not rocket science. 
The manual is a guide, it is not a step by step or buy a clymers :)   Anyhoot, mistakes are made, and many are fubar, but that is part of learning.  Rebuilt my Astro, new piston in hand, dropped it and it shattered, yea that taught me not to drop a 100$ piston.  I buttoned up my TR3, started to bump start it when I looked at the rpm gauge, CIR Clips stitting right there, yea that would had hurt.  So it is called measure twice cut once :)

@atxjax
You will be fine, you started by asking the right questions.  My only concern would be on the new bearing.  If you have never dropped a bering in this should be done by a pro.  If it is just a drop out and drop in (I do not now) you should be good to go, but chances are it is a press fit as this is part of the starter system.

There are easy ways of doing it like freeze the bearing a few days, use a butain toruch to heat the circumfrance case where the bearing for a few minutes then if done rigth the bearing will drop right in.  I do not recommend this, I do it,

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

@atxjax
You will be fine, you started by asking the right questions.  My only concern would be on the new bearing.  If you have never dropped a bering in this should be done by a pro.  If it is just a drop out and drop in (I do not now) you should be good to go, but chances are it is a press fit as this is part of the starter system.

There are easy ways of doing it like freeze the bearing a few days, use a butain toruch to heat the circumfrance case where the bearing for a few minutes then if done rigth the bearing will drop right in.  I do not recommend this, I do it,

I've done this once on a 93 FZR600 that I owned since 1997. This was a long time ago. I remember having to freeze the bearing and heat the mount with a butane torch a bit. It dropped about 3/4 of the way in and the rest I tapped in with a wooden dowel and a malet.

This bike is much different than the FZR which is why I want to be super duper careful. 
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Im starting to gather the items to do my cover swap. Below are some pics of the bearing part number. The cover and the bearing pressed into its seat and flush.

2z3xq8z.jpg9a3ea1.jpg5u1l4y.jpg2e0mvzl.jpg

• 1 year later...

Did this job. Was easy. Take the shifter link off, take the sprocket cover off, take the engine cover off and swap it over. Didn thave any issues at all. If I can do it you can too.

• 2 years later...

I recently replaced my stator so I wanna share my experience.  I'm not a mechanic so right or wrong I'm just saying what I did.  Take this with a grain of salt.

1) I bought a new gasket and gasket sealer (not to confused with gasket maker).

2) I didn't see any dry threadlocker on the bottom 2 cover bolts. But I did see yellow threadlocker on the stator bolts as well redish / maybe orange threadlocker on the bolts that hold the electrical component in place.   I'm only familiar with red and blue threadlocker so I just used blue. 

3) I took my sweet time scraping the old sealer off with a razor blade and a clean rag.  I went especially slow around the hoses next to the front sprocket.  

4) IF you disconnected the stator wire from the regulator/rectifier then don't reconnect it until after you've put the cover back on or you'll end up having to hold the damn thing with with your left hand while having to do everything with your right hand.  Ask me how I know. 

5) Don't put sealer on the gasket until you're just about to put the cover back on.  I was taking so damn long getting everything put together I felt like the sealer was drying up.  I know you're supposed to wait a little bit for it to get tacky but I only had one free hand (see above). 🙄 You might even wanna do a dry run first making sure you got the 2 dowels in place.  No pun intended.  

6) Tighten the cover bolts back on in a star pattern just a quarter turn at a time. Torque as you see fit.

7) Don't forget to put oil in your bike before starting.  🤣

• Like 1