The MT-07 Forum

RIght hand falling asleep..

roosterxp

Guys after a while 40+ miles on my bike i notice that my pinky finger on my right hand starts to tingle.. then my ring finger.. eventually all my finger start to fall asleep.  I am not gripping the bar hard and there isnt much vibration.. (left hand does just fine.)  I have to let off the throttle and dangle my hand, shake it then im good for a bit but this keeps happening..  any one else experience this?  Could it be just that it is a new bike and my body is getting used to it?  

2017 Yamaha FZ07 Black on Black. Akrapovic Carbon, 2WDW tune. Punisher Rad guard. National Cycle windscreen,

It could be them damn handle bars if they are stock, they suck. Riding position is everything. Here is what I know from experiance I am no Dr so take it from that.
When I have experianced any tingling or numbing of digits it is due to something further up, neck, back elbow wrist. Has nothign to do with the digit. Tingling is a nerv falling asleep (Non Medical Term). Thus the intial responce of Bars and riding position. It could be gear, your gloves mainly I have had gloves do this to me that cut circulation off. Here is my experiance from a cars perspective we race 24 hr LeMons. I take care of whom is strapping me into the 6 point harness, one member over dose it and causes my my back to crunch and within 30 minutes of my 2 hour time slot in the track my right arm starts to go numb (Not Good) I have a compressed disk between my blades so the down force on that 6 point kills it. From a bike perspective, I have shattered bones more than I have digits, right arm has been rebuilt a few times, the FZ stock bars irritated the right wrist and fingers hated those bars, opted for a set of Flat Track bars and its all good. My R1 is different, I have to keep the weight off my hands, so I uses stomach muscle, if I tend to get lazy my hands pay the price (Body Position)

To summerize: Gloves, make sure your gloves are fitting well and not to tight at the wrist. I suggest getting a new set of bars, search the forums people seem to very in like and dislikes but it really is about how comfortable the bars feel to you. Grips as well, I love Spider grips IMO the best I have ever used, but you may need to get something different. Last See a Dr if it is bothing you that much....

• Like 3

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Could also be carpal syndrome or a similar issue up at your shoulder that may or may not need operation. Back in 1990, my then Honda CB1100F vibrated so badly it took 8 days for the last of my fingers to stop tingling after a 350 mile day ride. And that was despite me letting go of the bars as often as possible. I had and operation on the right hand and after that I'm much better, but not entirely cured. The left hand is just as bad, but here I can just let go of the handlebars when I feel it sneaking up with tingles.

For me, some heavy vibrations (like that of my Z400 twin) barely bothers me, whereas some minute tingles (like that of my Z1300) could kill my hands within minutes. I find that the FZ-07 starts to annoy me around 5000 rpm because its high rpm vibrations are more similar to that of a multi rather than a single or twin.

Another issue for me is temperature. If my hands are cold or just a little chilly, I hardly every notice any tingling in my hands, but the warmer my hands are, the more sensitive they become. Rather surprisingly, I am more bothered with a loose grip than when gripping the handlebars firmly, presumably because it alters the frequency of the vibrations.

In general I recommend experimenting with engine rpm (if possibly avoid the troublesome periods), handlebar shapes, grip strength, grips themselves (soft/hard/thin/thick) and bar end weights (different weights will alter frequency and magnitude). Or fit a barsnake http://www.barsnake.com/

• Like 2

Hard to tell what's causing it from where I'm at but it sounds like a possible problem with circulation. Are you on the computer a lot? You a gamer? I've had all kinds of trouble with circulation over gaming and computers. I would do wrist curls with light weights and get some circulation going. Even just squeezing a rubber ball for exercise can be helpful. 

Beemer

Hard to tell what's causing it from where I'm at but it sounds like a possible problem with circulation. Are you on the computer a lot? You a gamer? I've had all kinds of trouble with circulation over gaming and computers. I would do wrist curls with light weights and get some circulation going. Even just squeezing a rubber ball for exercise can be helpful. 
Squeezing boobies works too 
  • Like 2

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I have the same.
No real medical explanation, however, I figured clasping hands for hours on ends, could be the reason.
Some blood flow gets restricted when the hands aren't free (an pressure is on the skin).
Try putting your head on your hand, resting the elbow on bed. It pretty much cuts off supply in the whole arm!

Also, when the muscles are tense, they may use up all their oxygen supply, as well as their temporary oxygen storage within the cells.
Hands are created to provide short amounts of kinetic energy, not a continuous long pressure (even if the energy exerted is very little).

Best remedy is to now and then (at stop signs or so), let go of the throttle.
If you can't do that, what helps, is breathing in and out deeper for a few minutes (hyperventilating).
If not, just sit it out. Before your hands die, you'd have to lose all sensation in them, and before this happens, pins and needles feeling will be so bad that it'd hurt doing anything with them.

So if it is a blood circulation issue, you should be good for a few hours on end throttling!

When a nerve is pinched, it feels like instant pins and needles, or just about the most excruciating pain your body can hold.
Believe me, I have a pinched nerve in the shoulder, and it can pop out from time to time, and hurt so much I don't know if I should vomit, or scream, or cry like a little bitch; just about anything to make it stop!

A pinched artery or vein, can restrict oxygen flow to a limb, and is most of the time the cause of the pins and needles feeling.
The nerves are deprived of oxygen, and send these signals to the brain, but these softer pins and needles signals are definitely not from pinched nerves!

News to me, but you may be correct. At least I know it's a nerve issue for me as both laboratory tests have shown and that I am fine when blood circulation drop from getting cold, leaving more room for the nerves in the process since everything shrinks. Carpal tunnel syndrome is very common among riders.

Squeezing boobies works too
I totally agree but lets do a test. which booby would you, the viewer rather squeeze? Booby #1 or booby #2? 

boobybird1.jpg #1

boobtbird2.png #2

• Like 2

Beemer

Neither I would first saute' them in a red wine with mushrooms then roast for aproxa 1 hour

(.)(.)

I went to a doctor years ago for carpal tunnel in the right wrist from gaming too much, holding my wrist in the same position for too many hours on end. The huge needles they stuck into all nerves in my hand weren't worth (extremely painful) it since I was simply told to stretch/bend/move my hand periodically while gaming to deal with it. It's the same with holding my wrist in the same position on the throttle for hours. I have to shake, bend, open and close my hand to keep the tingling at bay or make the tingling go away. I do have a pinched sciatic nerve in my lower back but it doesn't give me the tingles, it just hurts and aches there.

Beemer

ninjaiceberg

I've had this happen to me the last few months. I started widening me grip on the handle bars. That helped a lot. So I might look into wider bars.

Grip puppies. http://a.co/6BMXpdE

Have used these on every bike since 2010.

Trim to length. Mix a couple drops of liquid dish soap and a cup of water. wet the inside of the grips and they slide right on. They will not move once dry. Easy to remove by peeling.

Search for grip puppies. Two benefits.. Bigger diameter grip and vibration reduction.

Good luck! @ $10, its worth a try.

Kirk

Grip puppies. http://a.co/6BMXpdE 
Have used these on every bike since 2010.

Trim to length. Mix a couple drops of liquid dish soap and a cup of water. wet the inside of the grips and they slide right on. They will not move once dry. Easy to remove by peeling.

Search for grip puppies. Two benefits.. Bigger diameter grip and vibration reduction.

Good luck! @ $10, its worth a try.

Kirk
How cold I have forgotten?! Yes, Grip Puppies! I have them, they work as mentioned! I can just lay my hand on the throttle for cruising speed and the throttle doesn't move, giving the hand a big break. My hand goes to sleep a lot less because of them. BUT, there is one drawback to them that I've experienced and I mentioned in an earlier review about them, they can grip when you don't want them to and cause an accident. If you release your grip to change it and drag any part of your palm or fingers over the grip puppies it can accidentally and abruptly turn the throttle. If you get a pair, do a test of that before you fire up the engine and you'll see what I mean and know what not to do with them. I about wiped out at low speed because of their ability to grip to a glove so be careful with them.  

Beemer

True, a larger diameter throttle does help a lot!
I also believe the FZ handlebars are okay for a 4-5" midget, but taller people will have their wrists bent outward.

I usually prefer handlebars that are dead straight when viewed from right above, but I for whatever reason have no issues with the MT-07 bars.

• 1 month later...

I have stuffed discs in my neck that cause both arms to have the same problem. Mountain bike accidents.
But the most common problem with hand numbness is the 3d angle of the grip /bar grip area. It needs to be the natural angle of the grip area of you closed hand. Everybody's is different. Even your left and right can be different. Changing body and feet position changes it. Shoulder tension changes it.
Basically sit on a level bike in your riding position. With your hands where you want the bars to be , grip a handgrip/ bar sized rod. You will find that it has a natural angle . Usually uptowards the middle line of the bike and inside pointed towards at the front area of the bike . That is the correct even pressure angle for your bars. This will be the most comfortable for the longest time.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
Yeah Im a PC gamer and I get a sharp annoying pain after an hour or so riding on the inside right elbow. I can only assume its due to sh*tty posture on a non-ergo friendly comp desk, pressure points etc.  
Still, just for starters I bought some Renthal ultra-lows (to replace drag bars) hoping they might help a bit.
Now Im sure my wife wouldnt protest but for some unknown reason Im placing your clearly invaluable boobs exercise as a secondary measure. Must be getting older.

• Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Mr Puss has a point. My right arm has issues because I am a gamer. Makes my neck problem even worse.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

If you have can borrow or make changing the bar end weights can help.
I have never had a problem with the 07 but a BMW I had would sent
my fingers on the right hand to sleep, even though I could not feel
any vibration.

• 3 weeks later...
benechaotica

This is something I used to run into growing up, when I was riding dirt bikes. Lots of good reasons above, but sounds to me like poor circulation. For me, it was how I gripped the throttle, with my wrist slightly pre-bent so that if the bike started getting away from me and I clamped down on the grips and extended my arms, the bike would stop accelerating and I'd start coasting. But on trail rides where I might be going for an hour or more at a consistent speed, my hand would get numb after a while.

If you're not getting sharp, stabbing pain, then usually that means it's circulation, your muscles start becoming oxygen starved, and that produces the tingling sensation. Like people said, check your gloves and look at handlebar options. Gloves are the first thing I'd check, personally. If you're right handed, then chances are, the muscles, veins, and arteries on your right arm, even as far down as the hand, are a little bigger, a little thicker, and so if you're doing up both gloves to exactly the same tightness, you might just be gently pinching your veins and arteries, reducing blood flow. That's what fixed it for me back in the day, was just loosening up my right glove ever-so-slightly. The other big possibility is with your riding posture and your grip on the throttle. Find some quiet roads that you can go for a while on, long enough that you'd feel the tingling, and take a few laps, adjusting your grip a little bit for each lap. If you find a grip that doesn't give you tingly's, it could still be the gloves, and the new position doesn't pinch your blood vessels, or, it could be the actual riding posture itself, and in that case, worth looking at some different bars. While the test doesn't rule out the circulation problem, if you loosen up your glove significantly for the test, you can be sure it's not the gloves. If the test works, and you still get tingly's, but you find a grip position that doesn't give it to you, take some time to figure out what changes to your bars would help make that grip position more natural while still keeping a safe position on the throttle.

• 4 months later...

OK Its Christmas and I wanted to say this since I first saw the thread

Use your other hand, dont stop until you need glasses :)

Merry Christmas everyone,

Edited by r1limited

Since someone blew on the ashes of this thread and got a fire going again I will say that for my local rides my grip puppies have been great for keeping the numbness away but I have to always try and remember when cruising to just lay my hand on the throttle to keep a steady speed and not grip it but it's not always effective after having ridden for awhile. For longer trips I recently invested in a throttle lock. It was suppose to arrive yesterday but didn't because of the holiday madness. Tracking tells me now it will arrive Thursday. They should help a lot. So much so I should be able to take all day trips now. Miami, Key West, here I come!! 😎

GO CRUISE/2wheelride gca1bk universal Acelerador Lock

by Go Cruise

$31.30

https://www.amazon.com/CRUISE-2wheelride-gca1bk-universal-Acelerador/dp/B00ERXG4TM/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1514209759&sr=1-5&keywords=throttle+locks

image.png

Beemer