The MT-07 Forum

Sticky downshifts

russo

So my bike has 14 000 Km and after going out today I noticed that when I want to downshift through more than one gear (like 5-3) the pedal kind of sticks and doesn't return quickly. So if I'm in 3rd and come to a stop I can get to second but then getting to first is a pain, I kind of have to hit it a few times for it to reset and then go back down. Is this a common thing that just requires some adjustment or lubrication?

Quite common. Drag (release) the clutch a little after each downshift, just
the tiniest bit. It will help the transmission gears dog up easier. Otherwise you are asking too much of the gearsets by trying to slide multiple gears w/o aligning. Remember motorcycle trannies are sequential, if you don't shift a gear at a time you are trying to slide 1, 2, 3 or whatever many gears as a bundle. Too much moving, rotating, sliding massmojumbo.?

Quite common. Drag (release) the clutch a little after each downshift, just the tiniest bit. It will help the transmission gears dog up easier. Otherwise you are asking too much of the gearsets by trying to slide multiple gears w/o aligning. Remember motorcycle trannies are sequential, if you don't shift a gear at a time you are trying to slide 1, 2, 3 or whatever many gears as a bundle. Too much moving, rotating, sliding massmojumbo.?
Thanks. I know I should probably be riding like this but it did seem like a problem since it wasn't doing this before. I ended up taking the peg and lever assembly off and cleaned where the shift lever pivots because it seemed gummed up and hard to move. After cleaning I sprayed a bit of penetrating lube in there and now the problem is gone. 

I will try to drag the clutch for each gear though to be a bit nicer to the bike.

It's happened on mine more than once, even though I wasn't trying to down shift multiple gears at once, just a little on the quick side and the bike acted as though it were in neutral for a couple seconds and then suddenly went into the next gear down from where I was originally. E.G. 6th to fourth too fast - pause - into 5th. I try not to downshift too fast now to avoid that happening. Doesn't hurt anything, it just sucks when it happens. I still smile cause I know I could have a lesser bike that does the same thing. ;)

Beemer

Archived