Sign in to follow this  
groobie85

Dosent Shift into neutral when warm...

groobie85
I just notice that after going on a 30-1.30 min ride. When I go to park and shift into neutral I can't ...even with the softest touch. The only way I can get it into neutral is to turn off the bike in either 1st or 2nd then turn on and shift it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bugeyes
Try an oil change.

ddog
Have you changed the oil recently? What oil are you running? Have you messed with your clutch at all recently? Swapped bars or adjusted the cable or lever position? Does shifting otherwise feel normal?

ralph
Clutch adjustment is favorit.

jmacas87
+1 check clutch slack. next up is oil.

CarGuy7a
First off. Why are you parking with it in Neutral? I can see if you are clicking it in N to walk it back into a parking spot but not leaving it parked in N. Should always leave it in 1st while it's parked, at least I do.
  • Like 1

r1limited
I just notice that after going on a 30-1.30 min ride. When I go to park and shift into neutral I can't ...even with the softest touch. The only way I can get it into neutral is to turn off the bike in either 1st or 2nd then turn on and shift it.  
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am not sure of your riding habits or if you a clutch abuser, so I will state it this way.  [ol type=decimal][*]How many miles on the bike
[*]How many miles since your last oil change (DO NOT USE OIL WITH FRICTION INHIBITORS)
[*]When was the last time you adjusted the clutch cable?
[*]Are you the original owner
[/ol]
There can be several reasons why, clutch cable is out of adjustment, oil ((Though this is a nessasesity your complaint is very distinct and suspicious of other than a over due oil change))  Could be a bent shift fork (Worse Case) clutch itself is in need of repacment (With Springs) or it can be something as simple as oil change and clutch cable adjustment.

• Like 1

groobie85
Gotcha. Thanks.

Bike has 9800 miles on it. Change the oil at 9550 to mobile 1 synthetic and k&n filter. I have never adjusted the clutch cable. I'm the second owner and have had the bike about 2 months.

r1limited
Gotcha. Thanks.  
Bike has 9800 miles on it. Change the oil at 9550 to mobile 1 synthetic and k&n filter. I have never adjusted the clutch cable. I'm the second owner and have had the bike about 2 months.
9800 is a few miles, did the original owner do maintenance? Personally, if it were me, I would pull the clutch apart and measure all the plates or just plain do a clutch job on it.  I would replace that clutch cable to start, they stretch and it is a low cost maintenance item to do.... 

rick
Have a look at the shift linkage and make sure the clamp (aluminum) on the splined gearbox shaft (steel) is tight - and staying that way after the bike is hot.

Before opening up cases, have a read in the owners manual and make sure the free-play on the cable is to spec.
  • Like 1

groobie85
Ok. I'll start by checking the shift linkage and making sure the free play is up to spec, then I'll move on to cable replacement and clutch job if needed.

R1limited I've done a clutch job on my jeep before it this something I could do myself or is it too time consuming , tetious and involved?

Thanks again

rick
Guess it's possible that the PO wore out the clutch in less than 10k miles, but the clutch would misbehave - it would chatter if it got overheated (maybe warped) badly or slip if the friction material was worn out.

If you've done a car clutch as in (pull the axle/s, pull the gearbox (or in some cases the motor and leave the gearbox) and then have a centering arbor to reinstall the new clutch, getting a clutch apart on a bike like this is a walk in the park. You'll just need to remove the lever, the case cover, and then unbolt the bolts (4?) that have springs behind them putting pressure on the pack. Unlike the car's clutch with one friction disk sandwiched between the flywheel and pressure plate, there will be a pack of steels and friction disks, something like 8 or 9 each. Just say attention to order.

Start with the simple/easy stuff

jbone
Just out of curiousity , does anyone know of any good "how-to" Youtube videos of clutch replacements that use the same process as the FZ? Preferably Yamaha models.

norcal616
Im hoping the proper oil was used during the oil change...

ralph
Befor you start ripping it to bits make sure the cable is adjusted correctly,
all the 07,s I have ridden have needed the clutch pulled right in and not
have excessive free play to fully disengage, as it got aftermarket levers
if so are they limiting the movement, are they adjusted to close to the bar,
is the oil level to high but on the 07 it would likely have to be quite a
bit to high to effect the clutch.