The MT-07 Forum

How to: Installing R6 Throttle Tube

Guest unknown

Has anyone tried the R1 throttle tube. I'm a little wary of the 1/6 turn of the R6 tube, and I heard that the R1 tube is 1/5 turn (FZ-07 stock is close to 1/4 I believe).

I want it to still be streetable, but have a little better access to WOT.

pantheraleo
Has anyone tried the R1 throttle tube. I'm a little wary of the 1/6 turn of the R6 tube, and I heard that the R1 tube is 1/5 turn (FZ-07 stock is close to 1/4 I believe).  
I haven't tried the R1. I, like you, had some fears about the R6 short stroke. For me, it was no big deal at all for my throttle hand to adapt. I love the R6 mod now.

Try it. If you don't like it you can switch back...its a simple switch out.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member
The stock tube rotates to wide open at 90 degrees and the R6 (MotionPro 01-0094) tube rotates to wide open at 80 degrees. The MotionPro tube delivers a very noticeable increase in throttle response and a linear increase in power. Well developed throttle control skills are pretty much a pre-requisite for this mod. 
I have the R6 (MotionPro 01-0094) throttle tube and feel that it should have been the stock tube on the FZ-07. It really wakes up the low and midrange response...Sweet!
I'd guess that the Yamaha YFZ-R6's 42mm cam diameter is just a little bit quicker than the MotionPro's 39mm cam.

The stock FZ-07 throttle tube is 34mm in diameter at the cam.

MotionPro's 01-0094 (R6) throttle tube is 39mm diameter at the cam.**

Yamaha's YFZ-R6 (2C0-26240-00-00) is 42mm in diameter at the cam.**

**These throttle tubes fit properly on the FZ-07 and normally require INCREASING throttle cable slack during installation due to larger cam diameters.

• Like 2

Thanks for the details. The motion pro tube sounds lie a good medium sensitivity. Since its cheap, I'll give it a try.

bmwpowere36m3
Do you use any kind of glue on the grip when you install it on the new tube?

Hair spray, spray paint or grip glue...

• 1 month later...
bmwpowere36m3

Did some riding today after the R6 throttle (Yamaha part) install... Awesome! This is how the bike should have came from the factory. Less throttle rotation and slightly stiffer. I think some of the ON/OFF jerkiness is also subsided, but not gone.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well I'm looking at doing this mod.. Does anyone know if there is any differences with the r6 tube throughout the years?

2C0-26240-00-00 matches the FZ-07 grip and would be ideal for the swap as you wouldn't need to swap your grip to the new tube.

**Well found out that its the same as the R1 at 1/5 turn.

You want the late r6 tube in white, which is 1/6 turn
Yeah, figured that out and ordered one. Had the motion pro one ordered originally, but looks like it was only 1/5 turn. 

bmwpowere36m3

I ordered the 1/6 turn R6 tube, grip looks a little different... but I haven't bothered to change it. Eventually I'll replace both grips with Pro-Grips when I install the Renthal bar.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

So I put this mod on the bike yesterday and just a couple of little things I'd like to mention in case anyone in the future gets in the same predicament.

1. I have the woodcraft clip ons, you'll just need to pop out the bottom of the R6 throttle tube. No big deal.

2. I had to adjust the slack in the return cable; NEVER done that before so it took me a while. So for the noobs like me, the adjuster is on the line itself--I did not mess with the adjuster at the end of the cable on the other side of the bike. You're using two 8mm wrenches and adjusting the left nut. In my instance, I had to bring the left nut closer to the right. For about 30 mins I was fiddling with it; not knowing which direction to go, adjusting then reassembling, etc. I realized that I should assembly everything together THEN adjust the cable and VOILA. Got it nailed down in less than 2 mins. That could be a gimme for seasoned wrenchers but I had no freakin' clue, glad I started thinking of different ways to fix the issue.

Rode today to work, nice change. It feels right, downshifts come easier and smoother with less work/thought and it feels tighter. Love it.

• Like 2

all you need to do is cut some PVC pipe and araldite it to the throttle tube where the cables wrap around. did this with my fz8 and turned it to a 1/4 turn throttle. all it cost me was some araldite and a $1 piece of tube. Will need to tape off the bit of tube you wrap around it so the cable wont snag.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

After riding around for a few hours with the R6 tube, I definitely like it over the stock. I did notice the little bit of play (when you start to turn the throttle before it engages) that you have with the stock tube is gone. Is that suppose to happen?

- xCarbonSteelx

• Global Moderator
After riding around for a few hours with the R6 tube, I definitely like it over the stock. I did notice the little bit of play (when you start to turn the throttle before it engages) that you have with the stock tube is gone. Is that suppose to happen?
Yes, you need a little bit of slack to prevent binding and accidental acceleration while turning.
there is a thread around here somewhere that shows how to re-adjust your throttle cable.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

Yes, you need a little bit of slack to prevent binding and accidental acceleration while turning. there is a thread around here somewhere that shows how to re-adjust your throttle cable.

Sorkyah,

I've read the adjusting throttle cable thread. It doesn't matter how much I adjust it, at the top or at the bottom there is no play. As soon as I twist the throttle by any little amount it engages the engine. I've tested turning the handles left and right and the engine does not rev up.

- xCarbonSteelx

• Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

Ok I lied... I was adjusting the top part by the right front brake and I was adjusting the slack on the clutch...

I went back out and there is slack on the bottom (I applied minimum pressure to the cable) see pictures:

Handle bars full right:
e25cca0f4643d0af6ce7b83cb65eee77.jpg

403e4f735bb587d96a60f6ec8139bec8.jpg

Handle bars full left:
964fef3eb868e0d3e4ac96bc47e115ed.jpg

a215f76935ec22fe92278ac3a2182a5e.jpg

• Like 1

- xCarbonSteelx

• Global Moderator

the adjuster up top is for fine adjustment... there is a nut on the bottom throttle cam to adjust the main slack

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

Thank you Sorkyah. I was able to adjust to my liking. At first I gave it too much slack and test drove it and didn't like it. Made another adjustment tighten it a bit and love it.

- xCarbonSteelx

• 4 months later...
603nytroxtx

Thanks for the write up. Quick and easy. 2 beer job! I was lucky and didn't have to adjust cable at all. ;)

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

Fearedbynone

just did mine, here is a tip that made it easier to install.

i undid the top nut on the lower adjuster, the one on the throttle body. i slipped the cable out of the bracket so there was no tension on the cable.
installed the tube, buttoned up the tube housing. then i set the cable tension. took a few tries to get the bottom nut in the right spot, but now i have no slack and the throttle closes with no resistance.

Dave

Guest 2wheeler

I just put the R6 tube on (not the Motion Pro), and all I can say is that is a heck of a cool personality change for that bike!

First stage of the Hooligan arising!

• Like 2