The MT-07 Forum

How to: Installing R6 Throttle Tube

Guest unknown

Yep, I find that pinning the throttle wide open takes a lot of movement. This just shortens that distance so I don't have to put my elbow under the handlebars to hit WOT.

Not at the moment but I can put one together. I didn't take pics of my lever installation though. It's quite simple however, and I can do a non pictoral version if you would like :)

• 2 weeks later...

Did the quick turn mod and WOW! Remember to rotate the throttle housing as far forward as you can without interfering with the front brake lever (doesn't hurt to rotate the brake lever down as well while you're at it) for full effect. Oops my O2 sensor came unplugged too...????

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
SouthernSpeed

Nice write up, I have been wanting to do this, going to order parts now, thanks!

The torque on this thing is pretty addictive....

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered the throttle sleeve. This was something I didn't see as a problem at first, but I'm noticing it more and more lately. Seems easy enough to fix though.

• 3 weeks later...
pantheraleo

I just ordered the Motion Pro 01-0094 Throttle Sleeve.

Nice vid. Magsz

• Like 1

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

It's very worth it, and very easy. I'd classify myself as "mechanically challenged", and I even did it without issue.

• 2 weeks later...
pantheraleo

It is done. A great mod. I struggled for five minutes getting the short cable adjusted, but got it done.

I love the short throttle range. Much better.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
applekoolaid

Okay, I need some guidance. This did not work for me.

I bought the correct Motion Pro 01-0094 tube, but when installed it kept rubbing the inside of the housing and sticking like it was too thick for the housing.

I went back and forth 2 or 3 times between the OEM tube and MP tube and every time the OEM was fine (so I know I'm installing it right) and the MP tube rubbed the housing and stuck.

I checked off all the boxes to look for

1) nub in handlebar hole
2) cable routed correctly
3) cable adjusted properly
4) etc, etc, etc....

I thought I would be smart and take off a little plastic on the MP tube so it wouldn't rub the housing, but you guys know what happened then right?....

Yep, same range of motion as the OEM tube (the whole point of it being larger diameter)

S...M....H....

So.........what did I do wrong? Why did this not work?

Did you loosen the cable slack adjusters a whole lot before you installed the new throttle tube?

Well, there's the problem.

Since the cam of the new throttle tube is larger in diameter, it needs that done prior to install - loosening the cable slack adjusters and allowing lots of slack to give you the extra room with the cables needed for the install.After install, you set the cable slack to where you want it (not so much that there's too much slop, but also not so little that the throttle sticks).
There are slack adjusters at both ends of the cables.
My choice of throttle tube was the genuine Yamaha part first used on the 2006 YZF-R6V, part number 2C0-26240-00-00 .Quality part.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
applekoolaid

Thanks @yzetc  I'll try again using your advice.

Guest unknown

I had the same issue with mine. I had to adjust the cable slack to get it to work properly

Does this do anything to eliminate the lateral play (back and forth play along the length of the handlebar) ?

Thanks

Does this do anything to eliminate the lateral play (back and forth play along the length of the handlebar) ? 
Thanks
No.This is due to the throttle tube cam having clearance within the throttle housing, the 2-piece housing that clamps to the handlebar.I believe this clearance is there to be extra-certain things will not bind and cause a sticking throttle. Of course, things can still bind if it gets put together incorrectly or if the parts are damaged.

• Like 1

So there's really nothing that can be done about that? I didn't really think there was, seems like it's part of the design

So there's really nothing that can be done about that? I didn't really think there was, seems like it's part of the design
Unless you're going to have an over sized throttle tube made or a new throttle tube control housing designed..no, there is nothing to be done. 
I dont actually notice any of the lateral play when im riding, do you?