The MT-07 Forum

How to: Installing R6 Throttle Tube

Guest unknown

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

Exactly what I was looking for thanks.

At the end check that when you:

1) when you turn the throttle and then let go that it doesn't stick and the RPMs go back down to idle

and

2) when you turn the handlebars all the way left and right that it doesn't give the bike any gas (this can happen if It's too tight. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hi, new here. Joined to post a reply after discovering this mod for my 2019 MT07.

I just completed this mod and TL:DR - it’s awesome, highly recommended and I have no idea why Yamaha don’t fit this throttle tube as standard on the MT07/FZ07. It totally transforms the ride experience.

What I discovered doing the mod:

As posted by others, there is a difference between the Motion Pro 01-0094 tube and the genuine Yamaha R6 tube. I installed the Motion Pro tube purely because it was cheaper and it has made such a positive change over the stock tube that I’m happy with the results. I may one day try out the genuine R6 tube to see what it’s like.

Basically the cam on the R6 tube is larger than the Motion Pro one. The stock MT07 cam is smaller than both of them. So the Motion Pro is like a middle ground between the two. I can confirm the Motion Pro tube does fit inside the stock throttle housing without issue. No rubbing. I’m fact, I was also lucky enough to not require slacking off the throttle cable either, it was fine as is.

I can imagine - maybe confirmed by others - the R6 cam does not fit the stock throttle housing and the cable would need adjustment also.

As I mentioned, this should be a definite mod for the 07, it really sharpens up the throttle response, it feels more natural and I found I have a better control over the throttle input. It’s more precise. Maybe the reason the stock setup felt twitchy is because there is too much slack in the throttle control so you don’t get the response from the engine you are expecting when twisting the throttle. This totally changes that and if you don’t like the mod, it’s very easy to change back.

I fitted the motion pro throttle (before I realised the genuine Yamaha r6 was different), the throttle turn is reduced over stock but not as much I hoped.

If I were to do it again I wouldn’t bother with the motion pro.

• Global Moderator

I did the R6 tube as I suspected the Motion Pro one would not give me the difference I was looking for and I have been very happy with it.  I would not want the travel to be any more and would be happy it the tube was even a bit more aggressive. I only needed to adjust the cable at the throttle end.  

My newbie mistake that took me a while to figure out was I was adjusting the cable the wrong way.  Once I realized that you are basically getting more slack in the cable by shortening the housing with the adjustment it was easy.  I would definitely recommend this upgrade, but am happy I waited a while before I did it as I had not done much riding for years before getting my bike, so having a tamer throttle for a while was a good thing. 

• 7 months later...

Hi I did try to fit the r6tube but  the R6 cam does not fit the stock throttle housing  cos the diameter of the cam is about 42 mm and its too big for the stock throttle housing. I dont know how the others did 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, #26 George said:

Hi I did try to fit the r6tube but  the R6 cam does not fit the stock throttle housing  cos the diameter of the cam is about 42 mm and its too big for the stock throttle housing. I dont know how the others did 

It fits. Check your installation, that you've slacked off the throttle cables and that you've got the alignment dowel lined up with the dimple in the bars.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, #26 George said:

Chexck if you have the right throtle tube i think mine is 2009 model bike

On 2/2/2021 at 7:38 PM, Joaoduarte said:

Chexck if you have the right throtle tube i think mine is 2009 model bike

I think I got the wrong throtle tube is about 2 mm bigger 

• Premium Member

FYI: Here's a thread link to the R6 throttle tube part # :

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.