The MT-07 Forum

How to: Installing R6 Throttle Tube

Guest unknown

I just installed the motion pro part number, salvaging the stock grip and reuse is very easy to do. The motion pro tube is closed on one end with just small hole so anyone wanting to use a bar end will need to open it up.

BUT THEN I GOT TO THINKING...

If you just lop it off with a saw you'll have a slappy loose fit just like the stock tube on all bikes. So I drilled it out, little by little, increasing the bit size. Then once i got close to the 7/8th's bar size I switched to a hand file and 120 grit sand paper to finish the hole. Turns out the end of the tube has a little lip there to reinforce the end cap closure that you'd normally hack off. So that lip is now in tact and snugly fitting the bar FAR better than any stock tube. You have to go by feel, little by little. Eventually it will slide on tight, then sand it some more, it will twist snugly, sand it more, then you have a freely sliding slipping tube with ZERO slap in it. Yes it will wear over the years but so do all throttle tubes and they develop more slap and play. You should feel how smooth, easy, and precise the throttle feels now. Total time wasted here was about 20 minutes.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just did the Motion Pro one. Good mod.!

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• 1 month later...

I just want to clarify for those of you that apparently struggle with math.

360° is 1 turn.

Therefore...

1/4 turn is 90°
1/5 turn is 72°
1/6 turn is 60°

Switching to a 1/6 turn throttle doesn't change wide-open to 80°... 360/6 is 60. ;)

- - - - -

Just did this mod using the Yamaha part (Amazon Link; PartZilla has it cheaper, but I have Prime and live next to an Amazon Distro (aka - next day delivery, sometimes even same day); it comes with an R6 grip on it, making things a bit simpler for a quick try, in case you're not sure you'll like it. Plus I'm a fan of OEM quality on certain parts.

My synopsis on the part change is that is makes a world of difference when you're twisting it to the moon... but it's not much of a noticeable difference for your basic stuff (leaving lights/signs, traffic, easy cruising, etc). Meaning I didn't have to adjust my driving style at all, and that's including rev matching for downshifts. It's a 33.3% difference; so if you wanted 15% throttle before, you had to twist 13.5°, whereas with the 1/6, it's only 9°. The more throttle applied though, the larger that degree difference becomes.

Cliff Notes: If all you ever do is putt-putt around, you don't need this. If you're someone that enjoys twisting the throttle and feeling the fury between your legs, this should be one of the first things you get. Took me 15 minutes from start to finish; with 10 of those minutes being me adjusting the slack.

Nice work.... however, like me, many took the Motion Pro 01-00944 'replacement' as a duplicate of the Yamaha parts (2CO-2624-00-000= 1/6 throw throttle tube (superceeded) - 5SL-2624-01-000= 1/5 throttle tube (2003-2016 YZFR6 models). Unfortunately the Motion Pro part and the Yamaha parts are *not duplicates in form or function. The diameter of the throttle cams on the Yamaha parts are larger, and therefore faster, than the smaller cam on the Motion Pro part. Motion Pro has a 'replacement' part yes, but it is not the replacement part we are looking for..... The parts are advertised on Amazon and other places sold by various dealers.  Let the buyer be ware.
Now that I know, I will be sure to make sure I am getting the "genuine Yamaha part" I need and the not the 'replacement' part made by Motion Pro in this case...  Returning items to a vendor is a PITA, and often just not worth it. Good luck. A few folks on this forum already figured it out and list the cam sizes of the various part numbers. [see posts from YZEtc; Quixote; USMC ,,,; and others]

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me the actual outside diameter of the R6 tube used? I measured the stock tube at 1.25" or about 32mm.
OOPS,
just back read found it, but my stock measurement is slightly different.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought one of these from a local guy who didn't need it, brand new never installed, I already had ordered the motion Pro version, but I figured a bird in hand ... so now I can experiment, with this version no need to remove and reinstall the grip so really a 5 minute switch to try it. If it's too much I have the motion pro coming someday if the DHL people get their act together after the holidays.
by the way this measures exactly 41mm not 42 as previously reported, and my MT07 stock cam is 32mm not 34mm. Whether the FZ07 is different, I don't know.

IMG_20161219_143707.jpg

IMG_20161219_153310.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, what a difference,
I have to say honestly, I was expecting a radical maybe too aggressive change in throttle management. As it turns out using the larger diameter Yamaha 41mm tube was a good move, for me at least. It transforms the bike into what I think the throttle should be, it is not overly sensitive, not hard to manage inputs, and does not result in wheelies all over the place. Essentially it gives a more precise and crisp throttle response, and the big one for me, not having to twist my wrist so far around the quadrant. It took me all of 30 seconds to adapt to it.

Some tech pics for those who like that kind of thing.

IMG_20161220_090601.jpg

IMG_20161220_090514.jpg

IMG_20161220_093647.jpg

IMG_20161220_095608.jpg

5mm difference in travel at hand grip diameter.
IMG_20161220_124630.jpg

upload pic

R6 tube reach first two pics, last is the old tube reach

IMG_20161220_094707.jpg

IMG_20161220_094713.jpg

IMG_20161220_094751.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

"Did the quick turn mod and WOW! Remember to rotate the throttle housing as far forward as you can without interfering with the front brake lever (doesn't hurt to rotate the brake lever down as well while you're at it) for full effect. Oops my O2 sensor came unplugged too...????"

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/828/installing-r6-throttle-tube#ixzz4Xs7g29eO

Isn't your "check engine" light on?

"Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy".
Benjamin Franklin.

• 1 month later...
pineappleunderthesea

Installed the OEM R6 tube/grip (2C0-26240-00-00) this weekend. Like others in this thread, had to loosen the slack on the throttle body side almost as high as the top nut would go, but that's all it took for the throttle to operate perfectly.

I have Rhinomoto bar ends with my CRG mirrors, and it interferes with the R6 grip when you tighten down the bar end (throttle stays open). Took my dremel took with a sanding head and removed a bit of the grip rubber that interfered, and all was well.

In terms of riding, things are definitely more responsive. I was afraid it would be too "nervous", but not a problem once you get use to it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Tried both tubes, Motion Pro an R6 Yamaha OEM.
Prefer the R6.
Totally recomended mod!
Now I can get WOT easily without hurting my knee with my elbow!!!

Take the old one off put the new one on very simple

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

On 4/4/2017 at 3:43 AM, pineappleunderthesea said:

Installed the OEM R6 tube/grip (2C0-26240-00-00) this weekend. Like others in this thread, had to loosen the slack on the throttle body side almost as high as the top nut would go, but that's all it took for the throttle to operate perfectly.

I have Rhinomoto bar ends with my CRG mirrors, and it interferes with the R6 grip when you tighten down the bar end (throttle stays open). Took my dremel took with a sanding head and removed a bit of the grip rubber that interfered, and all was well.

In terms of riding, things are definitely more responsive. I was afraid it would be too "nervous", but not a problem once you get use to it.

Isn't the length of the two tube/grips the same?!

pineappleunderthesea
22 hours ago, digitalsteve said:

Isn't the length of the two tube/grips the same?!

They are basically the same, but the rubber at the end of the R6 grip seems to be more...rubbery.  It was just enough to cause slight interference.  Frankly this is something Rhinomoto could have avoided by shaving a bit of metal off the radius of their bar end, but OK, wasn't a big deal shaving some rubber off.  Just be ready to have fine rubber powder on your hands and bike !

On 14/09/2017 at 11:53 AM, pineappleunderthesea said:

They are basically the same, but the rubber at the end of the R6 grip seems to be more...rubbery.  It was just enough to cause slight interference.  Frankly this is something Rhinomoto could have avoided by shaving a bit of metal off the radius of their bar end, but OK, wasn't a big deal shaving some rubber off.  Just be ready to have fine rubber powder on your hands and bike !

I don't have this problem at all

• 1 month later...
firstyammerha

I did this swap this morning using the oem R6 throttle from BikeBandit. Nobody has mentioned pricing but the oem was $28 and Motion Pro about $8.00. I wonder what the local dealer would charge? Anybody know? I liked the oem grip which doesn't exactly match the FZ07 grip but it's close enough for me. In hindsight,I should have re-read the post on adjusting throttle cable slack before I jumped into action. It would have saved me some time. I hope this will help my rev matching. It drives me buggy. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
1 hour ago, phanomenal07 said:

Yamaha 2C0262400000 Grip Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C59NO2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_aFowAbWFG1VVZ

so I failed at installing this yesterday. Adjusted the cable and everything and it still doesn’t work. Seems like it is rubbing inside the housing.

was it getting stuck?

i had the same issue and it was due to me not adjusting the cable loose enough. you have to open up the cable way more than you think.

23 minutes ago, i28 said:

was it getting stuck?

i had the same issue and it was due to me not adjusting the cable loose enough. you have to open up the cable way more than you think.

How did you do it? Just from adjusting the cable at the handlebar or did you have to adjust the cable at the throttle body too

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

How did you do it? Just from adjusting the cable at the handlebar or did you have to adjust the cable at the throttle body too

Both. I adjusted down at the throttle body to get more slack and then fine tuned it near the handlebar.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

Anybody have instructions and pics of how to adjust the cable near the throttle body?

There are also some pictures in the service manual, I think, so try and get that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1