The MT-07 Forum

What inspired the FZ-07?

faffi

I'm not convinced the letters F or Z qualify as words but OK. ;)  I'll play along.
F is Spelt Eff So yes is a word Z is spelt Zee So yes it is also a word

Phonetics is fun Fan  Faneticks is Phun

DERP! Silly me. Of course, so the dumbed down masses can understand. O_o   ;)  

Beemer

"But if you ask me, there should have been a 400-500cc lower version of this bike, with a slightly larger tank, windshield, and side pannier mounts (and a little more upright seating position)."

I'm thinking if it were smaller, thinner and lighter I would like the engine (sized down or not) stuffed into a super motard style bike since it has a wild nature. (but keep the low seat height if at all possible)

Beemer

Yamaha should had made two versions of the FZ IMO a FZ07R with updated suspenders, better brakes, out of the box mapable ECU Etc, Etc. I believe people would had paid the extra $$'s for a more robust bike.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

"But if you ask me, there should have been a 400-500cc lower version of this bike, with a slightly larger tank, windshield, and side pannier mounts (and a little more upright seating position)." 
I'm thinking if it were smaller, thinner and lighter I would like the engine (sized down or not) stuffed into a super motard style bike since it has a wild nature. (but keep the low seat height if at all possible)

I would have loved to see a cheaper competitor to the BMW touring bikes. Those are more my thing...

I would have loved to see a cheaper competitor to the BMW touring bikes. Those are more my thing...
A light, flickable touring bike would be nice. My old Yami Vision had a big 5 gal. tank and I loved it. It was a 550 so it was rather small compared to a BMW but it was comfy on long trips except for the slight buzz in the bars but that could've been worked out. Maybe, some day, we can have both bikes. :D 

Beemer

Did you have the fairing on it also? I don't think it appeared until 1983 in USA, but could be bought separately in Europe and Japan also in 1982. Even had the choice of warm or cold air to the shins.

Fz07 design was certainly influenced by the Vmax. The air scoops anyways.
The VMAX was the first with the scoops but it could've also been influenced by a bike of it's own size with scoops. Has this bike been totally forgotten? No one talks about it so I wonder. I used to want one back in the day, I thought it looked hot. Look at that comfy seat. 
fazer.jpg The Yamaha 700 fazer.

http://www.motorcyclesurvey.com/reviews/yamaha/fzx700_fazer/

Beemer

Good call, Beemer! Forgot all about it, but that was also a grunty little bike, a parts bin special. In many ways related to the Radian XY600.

I see the FZ07 like an exciting version of the Yamaha Seca II.  

Are you sure? I mean, the XJ550 Seca and also the FJ/XJ600 were great performing machines, and the latter also had the most low- and midrange power in its class in the mid-80s. But the Seca II, aka XJ600 Diversion, was a bland tourer. Probably why I liked it - perhaps the easiest bike to ride ever. Docile engine, nimble and friendly handling as long as you didn't go crazy - the soft suspension would then cry uncle pretty quickly. The Seca II was a bike totally void of attitude, whereas the FZ-07 is all about attitude. ;)
I get your points. The FJ was sportier (peakier engine, better suspension). I did some track days with the Seca II and his marshmallow suspension,  :P . The engine was tuned for more low end torque. Like the 07. I always loved the Seca series, Hey, i owned a 1981. XJ750 Seca. I guess i'm a little biaised,  lol.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Premium Member

@Beemer & @faffi I lusted after the Fazer back in the day when I was riding my used Radian. :) But the USD$3,500 Fazer was out my minimum wage slave budget back then.

The MT/FZ-07 would be considered a UJM if it existed back then just as the Fazer & Radian were. I think FZ-07 fills the same niche they did in their day.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Actually, lonerider, the FJ600 wasn't peaky at all and would out-pull even the Ninja 600 and CBR600F1 in roll-ons made at normal road speeds. And certainly the Seca II at any speed. That's what was so strange about the Seca II, that it made less power from idle to redline compared to the older design based upon the 1980 XJ400. But the Seca II looked miles better and its engine ran far smoother.

I also owned a Seca 750, BTW, a 1983 (same bike as the 1981).

Why? Because of their practicality and complexity? My brother has an R1200RT. It sure isn't small!
I think the FZ has what it takes to make a light touring bike. With a few side panniers and a rear trunk loaded it easily surpasses 450-475LBS.
If I had to load that on an older model 400-700cc bike, it would easily be 50LBS extra (topping out at 525LBS), and those 50LBS do make a difference!

I agree. Would be nice if it came with integrated bags and a fairing like that of the Seca 750. Or XZ550, but that didn't have standard panniers.

img_3_Ge3kb3_N35_Le5_Nb5_M5d1a276721d1da81174c1_43bb5e08_7830_4725_9004_b458e5cc5913_large.jpg

9.jpg

images upload

I think the FZ has what it takes to make a light touring bike. With a few side panniers and a rear trunk loaded it easily surpasses 450-475LBS.
If I had to load that on an older model 400-700cc bike, it would easily be 50LBS extra (topping out at 525LBS), and those 50LBS do make a difference!
Yamaha thought so too: the Tracer 700 (FJ-07) 
2016_YAM_MT07_TR_EU_RMB_ACCSTA_002_800x395.jpg

best image host

• Premium Member

best image host

The FJ-09 with hard bags is 460 ish pounds ?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Actually, lonerider, the FJ600 wasn't peaky at all and would out-pull even the Ninja 600 and CBR600F1 in roll-ons made at normal road speeds. And certainly the Seca II at any speed. That's what was so strange about the Seca II, that it made less power from idle to redline compared to the older design based upon the 1980 XJ400. But the Seca II looked miles better and its engine ran far smoother. 
I also owned a Seca 750, BTW, a 1983 (same bike as the 1981).
When I read this I remembered talk back in the day about the FJ600 getting a h.p. make over by way of tuning it toward midrange punch vs top end h.p. which I remember saddened a lot of people. The old FJ used to make right about 10 more h.p. than the Seca II which might explain it's roll on performance and how it was king in the 600 class and whooping Kawi ass.  

Beemer

best image host

Darnit! Wasn't available yet in USA, when I bought mine!
My $20 Chinese windscreen is actually holding up quite nicely.
I only wished for a different handlebars now; that allows more lean back, and a better angle for my wrists.
I'm sure I can find expensive panniers, but would like to find some cheap chinese ones somewhere.
At the moment I'm not touring, so I don't need them yet.

Archived