The MT-07 Forum

Pro bolt axle bolt

rocco

I would add a drop or two of blue Loctite and with 76 ft. lbs. (?) of torque I wouldn't worry about it. If I was, then I'd probably cross drill it and the axle stub and pin it. If you have enough threads, a plain washer followed by a split washer is a thought. Or send it to me and I'll send you a picture of what it looks like on my bike....Mark

I just installed this one today, so I hope that it stays put:

http://www.probolt-usa.com/titanium-axle-nut-rear-wheel-85.html

It came with anti-seize (Copper grease), so I'm pretty sure that it will hold just fine. The anti-seize is due to the different metal types. I generally wouldn't add loctite where there wasn't any to begin with or where the mfr does not recommend. I've only heard of member's axel nuts seizing, never coming loose. You could always make a mark on the nut and frame to know at a glance whether or not the nut is drifting.

I just installed this one today, so I hope that it stays put: 
http://www.probolt-usa.com/titanium-axle-nut-rear-wheel-85.html

It came with anti-seize (Copper grease), so I'm pretty sure that it will hold just fine. The anti-seize is due to the different metal types. I generally wouldn't add loctite where there wasn't any to begin with or where the mfr does not recommend. I've only heard of member's axel nuts seizing, never coming loose. You could always make a mark on the nut and frame to know at a glance whether or not the nut is drifting.
Good point, forgot about dissimilar metals...follow mfg. instructions would have been my 'better' answer. 

Thanks for the replies!!! I called pro bolt themselves and he said torque to spec and loctite a smidge if I feel like it but it will be fine.

I just hope the stock one comes off one last time to be replaced!

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Titanium galls VERY easily, that's why the included grease; Loc-tite might serve the same function, though. Did the vendor supply torque specs for it???  I'd watch it VERY closely just to be sure (well, not really; I'd not be using it to begin with--no need nor payoff, imho... just risk since it cannot be pinned).

Archived