Sign in to follow this  
faffi

Bikes you wish you still had

I do not regret selling any of my motorcycles, but some made more fun than others. Like the 1978 Honda CX500. My view is no doubt teinted by the fact that it was my first big motorcycle, because functionally it was horribly flawed. The suspension was waaaay too soft, the instability when cornering above 75 mph enough to force me off the road if I did anything provoking, the seat that nearly every tester praised pure torture. But I loved its looks and I was lucky enough to one of the fast ones.

Another fun scoot was my 1974 Honda CB350F. Again, functionally not a great thing, but I don't know how well it could have been as my bike had a bent fork and rock hard Koni shocks. Still, the turbine smooth engine and the great looks (after I painted it Laverda orange and made a 4-2 out of the original too dominating 4-4 exhaust) made it a joy to own. It always collected big crowds.

But the most fun bike I've owned for narrow, winding back-lanes was the 1979 Kawasaki Z400G. Not enough power - an estimate of 27 hp out of the original 36 - held it back, but otherwise it was pretty competent. I raised the front with more oil and more preload, modified the damper for much less compression damping that allowed me to run much thicker oil so the rebound damping could be sorted. I also fitted longer Koni shocks lifted from a KZ1000 that performed quite well. In the end, I had plenty of cornering clearance, handling so nimble it make the FZ-07 feel slow steering, yet it was always going like on rails. Never twitchy, never needed guiding. Almost like a scalpel. 

The engine vibrated and there wasn't much force to be had, but it managed to sound happy and feel stronger than its numbers. Fuel consumption was on par with the FZ-07. But unlike the Yamaha, I could wring the neck of that little engine for long periods of time without breaking the speed limit. A very different kind of fun from the satisfying immediate punch of the FZ-07, but still surprisingly satsifying in its own way. 

However, I'd never swap my Yamaha for any of them - or even all of them combined. The FZ-07 is miles ahead of them all.

It would be a little small for me now but I could still ride it, knees up in the handlebars. My old 74' Yamaha DT100. It was my only 2-stroke so I miss the sound and feel of the power (what little there was, ha!) I could ride it here around the neighborhood, engine screaming, retirees screaming & shaking their fists at me. Nah, better not.

I do miss my 2007 R6. The top end pull on that thing was insane even though it was a little inaccessible on the road. Didn't redline until about 80mph in first gear and was screaming loud enough by then to draw every cop for miles. It would still hit 75 in 1st after a sprocket gearing change. High speed cornering was amazing on it though. I still can't take a fast corner on the FZ07 without thinking how much more planted the R6 would have felt. Plus the thing was just beautiful. I might have to buy another one of these days and keep it around as a track bike.
20150719_132046.jpg

Guest 2wheeler
1973 CZ 250MX
1974 Can-Am 250 TNT
1976 Yamaha TY250
1985 Yamaha TY350
1977 Suzuki PE250 (got one back, but wish I had the other two)
1974 Yamaha RD350
1971 Rupp Roadster 2

Let me think
all My Bultacos last count about 8 of them Astro to Pursangs
1960 BSA A10 (With Sifton 820 Kit) hill Climber
Amerachi 350
Montessa 250
1974 YZ250a (Was turned into a short tracker)
1972 R5/TR3 350
Husky 390cr
73 Yamaha DT175
74 Yamaha MX250
1972 Honda XL250 (Powral 310 kit) eventually the frame was cust and setup with yz400 frontforks, yz400 rear wheel
Several SL70's
2001 YZF426 Hare Scrambles bike
2006 YZF450 Limited Edition

My 2006 R1 50th well I wont add that to this liist I will add my wife first ;)

Thats about all I could think of

Every other bike I've had would be considered classed as a 30+ year old  [strong]U[/strong]niversal [strong]J[/strong]apanese [strong]M[/strong]otorcycle. Each with little to no collectable value and bargain performance even in it's day.
There isn't a single one I'd honestly still want to own. Though at the time I was riding them they were the perfect bike, mainly because it was mine. :)

Back in the late '80, i made the mistake to not buy the Yamaha TDR250. That's why i'm looking for all info about the fourthcoming KTM 390 Adventure. But i miss the fun of a 2 stroke engine (for the road).

My 1940s Ariel 350 (as avatar). Simple and basic it had served as a despatch riders bike. I rebuilt the engine with my father in 1955. It served me well and never broke down.  I let it go to an aquaintance and recently asked if it still existed. Unsurprisingly, it did not. I had a lot of fun on it.

Edited by robbo10

Had a 1982 R100RS BMW in smoke red that I'd love to still be in the garage. Tons of character a loads of fun to ride - at a moderate pace. I'll miss the Aprilia I've now owned since 2002. Fast, smooth, comfortable, and pretty rare at this point, it's been amazingly reliable for heritage and now age. Tip-toeing about on a 530 lb motorcycle has not got any easier as I age along with it.

I'll be back to a 1 bike garage in a couple years. The lightweight FZ was a perfect choice for the remainder of my riding years

On 6/8/2017 at 6:23 PM, ducttapewd40 said:

I do miss my 2007 R6. The top end pull on that thing was insane even though it was a little inaccessible on the road. Didn't redline until about 80mph in first gear and was screaming loud enough by then to draw every cop for miles. It would still hit 75 in 1st after a sprocket gearing change. High speed cornering was amazing on it though. I still can't take a fast corner on the FZ07 without thinking how much more planted the R6 would have felt. Plus the thing was just beautiful. I might have to buy another one of these days and keep it around as a track bike.
20150719_132046.jpg

The new R6 looks fantastic.  I have not ridden one, but I am afraid if I do I will have to buy it.