The MT-07 Forum

First Track Day Tire Selection

chuckles

Right now I have a set of Pilot Power 3s with about 3000 miles on them. My buddy, that used to race, suggests that I pick up some BT016 before I head to the track for two reasons. One he says its a better track tire and two in case the PP3s do not pass tech with that many miles. It will be my first track day so I'm sure I wont even come close to finding the limits of either tire but I am looking for other opinions before I buy another set of tires. If I do get the BT016 I would use them for the track day and then remount the PP3s since there is a lot of life left and I mount/balance my own tires.

This will be on my ZX6r and I would ask on the ZX6r forum but I like you guys better :)

This will be on my ZX6r and I would ask on the ZX6r forum but I like you guys better :) --- this is epic right here!

Anyway, 3000 really isn't much on PP3s and a 600 unless you do a lot of hard riding. Snap a pic of them and post em here. How old are they (months/years?) 
I had the same setup on my zx6r before I sold it, only put about 2k on the tires but they had 80-90% tread left easily.

Run proper track pressures and monitor them throughout the day.

Since you said you mount your own though and can swap anytime, I'll recommend Dunlop Q3's. I'm a noob too and these tires gave me confidence on my first track day enough that I could concentrate on what's important and not worry that I don't have enough tire.

Thanks for the reply.

Here are a couple pictures of the rear tire. The front is dated 13/15 and the rear is 45/14. The center tread is about an 1/8" proud of the wear bar on the rear. The tires were put on 2 PO's ago so I am guessing at the mileage but the kid I bought the bike from only had it for a month and most of the tire hairs were still attached.

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

Ill check out the Q3's but I was looking at the BT016 because I can get a front and rear for only $179.

• Premium Member

At my track your tires are fine unless you are at the ware bars. Does not look like you are there yet. Since its your first track day stock tires are fine just make sure you lower your tire pressure so they can warm up.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I'd soften em up some and run em. They look plenty good. Have fun, learn a little something and get a more aggressive tire next time if you get into track riding and decide to take it up a notch.

Cheers. 

• Premium Member

Stock tires are good...drop em down to 30/30...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

kakusaizou

Stocks are fine for a first timer, just depends how picky your tech inspector is.

Just go straight to Q3s if you're looking for anything street+track. They're about as good as it gets for track days as street tires.

not to "me too" but dig your thumb nail into the tire midway between centerline and edge. Does the tire bend your nail or can you nail dig into the tire? If former, you can still use them just be mindful they're a bit hard. And it being your first track day - ITS NOT A F'N RACE!! Ride your own pace and ignore everyone else and the temptation to "show" somebody you're hot stuff. Concentrate on consistently finding visual reference points for each turn, your turn-in points, getting on/off of the throttle and brakes smoothly and really, it's cool to "saunter" down the straights and let the yahoo's dive bomb into the turn and get it all wrong. If you can't roll on the throttle the whole way thru the turn, next time come in a little slower. If you're making mid-corner adjustments to the bars, you probably did it wrong.

There's a lot of things going on and going fast is not the point. Doing it RIGHT is what matters. If someone is crawling up your a$$ every mid-corner (ie. someone on a smaller bike) let them by on the next straight. And observe. You might learn something.
/soapbox

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Thanks for all of the replies guys, I knew this was the right place to ask  :)

not to "me too" but dig your thumb nail into the tire midway between centerline and edge. Does the tire bend your nail or can you nail dig into the tire? If former, you can still use them just be mindful they're a bit hard. And it being your first track day - ITS NOT A F'N RACE!! Ride your own pace and ignore everyone else and the temptation to "show" somebody you're hot stuff. Concentrate on consistently finding visual reference points for each turn, your turn-in points, getting on/off of the throttle and brakes smoothly and really, it's cool to "saunter" down the straights and let the yahoo's dive bomb into the turn and get it all wrong. If you can't roll on the throttle the whole way thru the turn, next time come in a little slower. If you're making mid-corner adjustments to the bars, you probably did it wrong. 
There's a lot of things going on and going fast is not the point. Doing it RIGHT is what matters. If someone is crawling up your a$$ every mid-corner (ie. someone on a smaller bike) let them by on the next straight. And observe. You might learn something.
/soapbox
My nail can still dig in and leave a mark so I will probably run the PP3 when I go. Thanks for the advice, I know I'll be nervous as hell before the first session. I am pretty good at keeping my ego in check except when it comes to douchey cruiser guys (normal cruiser guys are fine). My goal for the track is to have fun and learn as much as I can.

• Premium Member

Just relax go in a slow group first bump up when you are ready. My tracks they have novice and up to 10 groups 1 being the fastest I started out in 5 or 6 my first time and now I'm a 2 or a 3 hoping to move up to Intermediate some time this year. I've done 5 track days so far and this is 3 season of riding. Some guys that have been riding for years come to the track and are just about ready to move up to the next class that day, and some are so out of there element they need a ton of laps to just be smooth around the track.

Good luck have fun, listen to the instructors most the time they are right lol

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Archived