The MT-07 Forum

MOTOPORT- "AirMesh Street Jeans" Personal Review...

Mr.Puss

• Premium Member

With our traditionally poopie Canadian dollar, the[span][/span] unknown duty charges, and the initial $tally$ after adding a few things to this order was daunting if not prohibitive to finally make that click of the mouse, not to mention not being able to try them on beforehand. Due to these factors it took me almost three years to commit to ordering these pants from the California based company 'Motoport'. The final decision was made when my wife started to ride, time to give them a shot.

These are not your standard "off the rack" MC pants. They're custom made to one's specific measurements that you've marked on your favorite fitting denim jeans and send in to Motoport. You can customize to your hearts content here.... colours, pockets, suspenders, 3m reflective strips, cold weather liner and so on.

I went with the full "quad" armour set up, added a cargo pocket on the left side, removed the butt pockets, swapped out standard jean pockets for zips, added 3m strips down the sides and went with a slim 'in the boot' zipped cuff as well as a rear zip to attach a jacket.

Even tafter I scoured the web looking for reviews in forums etc, (all of which were glowing) Ive got to say this was a pretty nerve wracking wait (2 months) for these reasons: did I mess up my measurements, will they fit properly from top to bottom, or will I have to send them back down south to be re-tailored in the middle of our short riding season?  As soon as I slipped one leg into these my fears were put to rest, these are magical pants. My wife's also fit perfectly btw.

I wont bore you with the fine details about Motoport's claims for their proprietary material's durability, attributes, processes used, and incredible warranty and guarantee etc. Check out their site for that stuff and I highly suggest you do so.

As you can see these fit like standard jeans (hence the name obviously :P ). The tightly woven thick mesh material used on the front half is quite stiff (and perforated of course) which makes for absolutely amazing venting and is surprisingly very comfortable.
The weight is negligible compared to my Dianese Pony-perf leather pants, in fact both pairs of these pants together were still lighter than.
 The optional Quad armour is a soft-ish, dense, pliable foam material that molds to your shape beautifully, its like it isnt even there.
The 'Stretch' material used on the entire rear half is soft and very comfortable and doesnt irritate the rear bend in my knees even on a hot ride and again all vents beautifully. There is a smooth perforated inner liner throughout. Not once have these been uncomfortable in any area.
These can be thrown right into the washer too. Awesome.

Every last inch of these pants breathe, even when tucked into my Sidi race boots. They are beyond comfortable even with the stiff mesh and chunky looking armour bits. By feel and looks and after only a couple rides I can easily get behind Motoport's lofty claims.  I cant express just how pleased I am with the solid craftsmanship through and through of Motoport's Airmesh Street Jeans. Not even one loose thread! Would I spend this kind of money again? Happily and without question. Given their exemplary quality Id be surprised if I'll ever require another pair, I probably wont unless I start drinking butter and beer smoothies, and even then they can do some resizing for you.
 Now Im even more interested in their stellar looking jackets, Ive already considered my custom colours and configuration. :D
Their service was also fantastic with prompt concise communication from everyone under their roof. This is how professional business is done.

Check out Motoport's custom gear. Do yourself a favour and seriously consider having a pair custom made, you wont regret it, especially those of you who ride in hellish temps. These are MC pants transcended.

http://www.motoport.com/product/air-mesh-street-jeans/

@rowdy here you go!

[attachment id=2524" thumbnail="1][attachment id=2522" thumbnail="1][attachment id=2523" thumbnail="1]

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

@mrpuss You are a man of your word. ;)
Those look fantastic!

Why can't left turners see us?

• 2 months later...

Instead of $445, I managed to spend only $185 ($120 base price plus $65 for hip and knee armor) for Scorpion's Covert Jeans. These are lighter and more comfortable in warm weather that the more expensive "Pro" version. I'm thrilled with the features, look, and comfort of the Covert jeans.

They're aptly named - you'd have to look VERY carefully to notice that these are anything other than a regular pair of nice-fitting jeans.

I was tortured by the Japanese during the war, Jack. Not a pretty story. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.

• Premium Member
Instead of $445, I managed to spend only $185 ($120 base price plus $65 for hip and knee armor) for Scorpion's Covert Jeans. These are lighter and more comfortable in warm weather that the more expensive "Pro" version. I'm thrilled with the features, look, and comfort of the Covert jeans.  
They're aptly named - you'd have to look VERY carefully to notice that these are anything other than a regular pair of nice-fitting jeans.
Speaking strictly for myself here, its not about price, its about level of safety. Unfortunately asphalt doesnt care about how much money one's saved. Motoports optional armour is pretty $teep too but damn it feels nice. Armour aside Motoport's materials are top of the line and wont be matched by any riding jean on the market.  
While Im sure the Scorpion's are a nice comfy pant. I personally dont have much faith that this style of riding pants will ultimately save my flesh if I happen to slide my precious azz a hundred feet or so down the street.
Ive personally known one person who'd been literally ground down to the bone in more than one area and its really not a very pleasant life after that, so without a second thought I'll happily spend the extra money on 'wood-chipper proof' pants etc.
Its the old battle- "With comfort comes compromise". I cant afford to compromise and I'm somewhat anal so I prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Surprisingly for as heavy duty as they are, the Motoport AirMesh are super comfortable and incredibly airy and I guarantee much more so (airy) than any riding jean. Quite impressive really.

Had these tid-bits (a couple of many haha) kicking around my files, pretty sobering stuff.  NSFW? -->

"The general rule of thumb, given the average coefficient of friction for a road surface, is that you’ll lose 1 mm of your flesh for every 1 mph you are going over 30 mph when you hit it. Extrapolate that to 55 mph and tell me where on your body you can afford to lose an inch of flesh? Any faster and we are talking about wearing your skin down to your bones, which will likely cause a fatal bone infection if you haven’t already been killed by the impact itself."

...and providing there's enough limb left to save. I'll pass on the following skin graft description/process....(cringe)

"If you are lucky enough to survive the crash, you may need skin grafts to replace the skin you have lost to the asphalt. This requires taking portions of healthy skin from other parts of your body, cutting them off, and ‘medically stapling’ them to the road rashed portions of you. Once they do that then you will get to experience the wound vacuum. Here is a detailed account of the motorcyclist who had to have their skin grafts vacuumed:

“Wound vac: a slang medical term that will give me goose bumps for the rest of my life. When a patient receives a skin graft, a suction cup is placed over the completed surgery in order to increase blood flow from under the new skin. These devices are called wound vacuums, and they ensure that the burn tissue does not die, but rather joins with the new skin to create a layer of dermis where none would have grown without the graft surgery. It feels like a leech, a constant sucking on the most painful abrasion you’ve had in your entire life. Multiply your worst skinned knee as a kid by 50, add it to 55 percent of your body, and then let someone suck on it with a handheld vacuum for 24 hours a day; only then will you know what it is to experience a wound vacuum on a fresh skin graft. Each graft received a dose of the painful sucking and after three weeks I was free from the noisy machines.”

One man's level of comfort is another man's fear. Sorry, the internet made me this way. :D Enjoy those pants Im sure they're solid. Ride safe. ;)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

This is totally amazing! Custom pants?! No wonder they look so good. They fit you like a charm.
Thanks for the review.

What kind of riding do you do? Do you commute to work? Weekend riding?
I think my main concern is that my ride is typically for commuting... and commuting these days is just 10 miles.
Do they pack up nicely? Thinking if I was to change when I get to work, how much space would they take up?

Would your wife be wiling to share some photos of her in her's?

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
This is totally amazing! Custom pants?! No wonder they look so good. They fit you like a charm. Thanks for the review.

What kind of riding do you do? Do you commute to work? Weekend riding?
I think my main concern is that my ride is typically for commuting... and commuting these days is just 10 miles.
Do they pack up nicely? Thinking if I was to change when I get to work, how much space would they take up?

Would your wife be wiling to share some photos of her in her's?

HAHA, I'll pester her to model them shortly here. The quad armour while flexible and foamy is the bulky part.  As far as packing them up I dunno, in my Kriega r-25 backpack there's still lots of room for my gauntlet gloves and work clothes-> Jeans, t-shirt, shoes.  (I'm 5'8" 170lbs so they arent huge pants)  They are definitely far more compact-able than a pair of leather pants with plastic armour.  
 I currently ride casual weekends as unfortunately its all I have time for. Sadly it would take me longer to suit up than it would riding the 10 min to work... we work together as well so I drive and she "preens" haha.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about packing size, IMO it isnt really an issue. If you're willing to drop the dough you wont be disappointed in these and picking options is nice for all budgets though I do recommend the armour unless of course you factor in another armour you prefer when making measurements. As I mentioned they may very well be the last pair I'll ever buy. I cant recommend them enough.

• Premium Member
Sadly it would take me longer to suit up than it would riding the 10 min to work... 
That's definitely my consideration. My commute isn't that much longer and I don't ride everyday anymore. But I am definitely going to think about these when I do have the opportunity to purchase a pair. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived