The MT-07 Forum

I moved

FZ Trout

So a few months back I moved from southern California to Star Idaho. And this is how I moved
Insta_image_17.jpg

Yes.... That's a 55 Gal trash can filled with 80% of everything I own lol it took a bit longer than anticipated  due to some unplanned stops that put me behind but in all it took me roughly 18 hours to complete  my journey. Should have been like 16 tops but again unplanned  stops that took too long.  And to my surprise nothing went wrong as far as any beak downs or flat tires.  Just ran out of gas once because I missed a hidden Gas Station. 

I had a 2 gal reserve on me but it was buried in the trash can and took a while to get out.  I didn't  technically  run out of gas I actually  stopped because the fuel gauge had been blinking for 30 ish miles and no signs of a Gas Station near.  I found it best to pull over and top off.  At that point the sun was just about gone as well done took that opportunity to layer up some more.  Turns out rain gear makes for very good insulation and wind breaker.  I got to the next Gas Station which was only 6 miles more.....  I was a bit pissed about that but it is what it is so I had to undo and redo everything  again to fill my bike up the rest of the way and the 2 gal reserve and then stopping several times to make sure I was going the right direction  lol. 

Would I don't again?  Yes, yes I would lol just only with the 2 gal gas reserve and a small duffel bag and I'd do it in two trips instead of one shot like I did ha ha XD I had neck problems for like 2 months from it. Lot's of people taking pics and Vida too it was pretty funny I probably cruised at an average 80mph with lots of 100mph sprints. I managed to dart through a big storm sigh seeing next to no rain.  Only one part going through Utah did I go through some heavy sprinkling for a couple miles. 

So what about any of you guys/ladies? Any of you have any crazy stories of moving or just plain traveling stories on two wheels? 

ducttapewd40
And here I felt silly for driving with two new tires around my waist to get them mounted.
Hey man I live about 20 minutes away in Meridian! You have a dirt bike yet? (Everybody here has a dirt bike sooner or later)
I do.  Is Meridian just east of Lansing?  
20161001_213739.jpg

I'm just imagining you sitting on that thing with the way the can is angled and my neck and back hurts. lol

• Premium Member

Good god man! Nicely done. HA!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I'm just imagining you sitting on that thing with the way the can is angled and my neck and back hurts. lol
I honestly did not realize how bad I My neck and shoulders were until a few days later lol as soon as I got to my destination I took a hot shower and knocked the F out Ha ha ha XD  next morning I felt right as rain but a couple days later is when it hit me.  Ha ha I was all jacked up on 5 hour energy shots and venom energy drinks Ha ha XD bit the whole ride was pretty comfy the can acted pretty much like a back rest really ha ha XD 

wow... but you do know you can ship stuff in these newfangled things called boxes... I might have elected to get a 50gal storage barrel and turned it sideways.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

wow... but you do know you can ship stuff in these newfangled things called boxes... I might have elected to get a 50gal storage barrel and turned it sideways.
Lol yes I did ship a couple 18x24 boxes and they cost me like $70 a piece I really wanted to use a uhaul truck but they wanted like $2,000 for it so that was definitely  a not happening Ha ha XD and some stuff was just too heavy and could be shipped or taken with me lol lime my 200lbs in tools and a suitcase that weighed like 60lbs lol 

lol This is cracking me up. Glad you made it safe and sound. Gotta be the winner of most awkward haul award. I carried a soundbar home from Best Buy in my backpack, that was bad enough. Like a damn sailboat.

Awesome that you have the gumption to try it but I would've simply rented a small, cheap, U-Haul truck for a day and throw the bike and the can in it. I guess I'm just not so daring any more. Old fart party at my place tonight! BYOT.  :P

Beemer

Awesome that you have the gumption to try it but I would've simply rented a small, cheap, U-Haul truck for a day and throw the bike and the can in it. I guess I'm just not so daring any more. Old fart party at my place tonight! BYOT.  :P

Lol yeah I tried to do a uhaul pickup but they wouldn't let me for a one way trip lol that's when I tried the smallest box truck and they wanted just under $2,000 so I was pretty much left with only one option lol

Lol yeah I tried to do a uhaul pickup but they wouldn't let me for a one way trip lol that's when I tried the smallest box truck and they wanted just under $2,000 so I was pretty much left with only one option lol
You've got to be kidding me! What ever happened to their drop off points and their $40 or less a day truck rentals? I just can't imagine they or someone else didn't have a cheap solution for you. Never the less, good job and glad you came out of it alive.  

Beemer

You've got to be kidding me! What ever happened to their drop off points and their $40 or less a day truck rentals? I just can't imagine they or someone else didn't have a cheap solution for you. Never the less, good job and glad you came out of it alive.
Ha ha thank you.  And yeah IDK that's what I thought too I even tried enterprise and they told me essentially the same thing. Probably what I should have done is rent a tiny beater car with unlimited mileage move all of my stuff but my bike then go back down and ride my bike up with nothing but a backpack and fuel can.  It probably  would have cost the same ha ha XD I think I spent like $60 something dollars on gas and snacks too which was pretty cool because like a month ago I drove a car out to Cali for my sisters wedding and that ended up costing  me like $260 just in gas and snacks/food and the distance to the wedding was shorter by like 6 hours

• Premium Member

When you think you've seen everything... I mean, I saw a guy get on his motorcycle the other day, taking a hula hoop home from the gym. Or the guy wearing roller blades while riding his motorcycle in the city. But this, I definitely would've taken photo/video of it too if I saw you :P

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

I'll admit to taking a trombone case on my bike (long ago) with it strapped like a 2x4 on my rear....seat. :D

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

ducttapewd40

So other motorcycle transportation stories.... I have managed to drive a case of beer home balanced on my gas tank. It worked out but I wouldn't recommend it.

Had another day where we went to Cabela's on a few bikes and one truck where one of the guys bought a new AK-47. Instead of putting the rifle in the truck for the drive back, he insisted on wearing it from the sling on his back while he drove his bike. We did notice our group got a wider berth than usual from the rest of the cars on the highway all the way home.

So other motorcycle transportation stories.... I have managed to drive a case of beer home balanced on my gas tank. It worked out but I wouldn't recommend it. 
Had another day where we went to Cabela's on a few bikes and one truck where one of the guys bought a new AK-47. Instead of putting the rifle in the truck for the drive back, he insisted on wearing it from the sling on his back while he drove his bike. We did notice our group got a wider berth than usual from the rest of the cars on the highway all the way home.
I did this once but a pizza instead...and yes very sketchy not recommended Ha ha XD had to clutchless upshifts and downshifts makes taking sharp turns also very sketchy. I also almost flat towed a homies car home with my FZ-07 but decided it was a bad idea because it was wet out and the last thing I would need is to be in the middle of a turn and get a little tug to make me eat it Ha ha XD

• 1 month later...

You Sir have all my respect.

This has to be the best photo on this forum to date.

So a few months back I moved from southern California to Star Idaho. And this is how I moved Insta_image_17.jpg

Yeah I was thinking about movingagain to more northern Idaho like post falls kind of area. Would love to do this trick again but now I have a vehicle that can tow my bike and haul everything else lol or maybe I'll ring up a flat tow setup and tow my CRV behind my bike? ?ha ha ?? jk jk that would be far too dangerous lol

• Premium Member
Yeah I was thinking about movingagain to more northern Idaho like post falls kind of area. Would love to do this trick again but now I have a vehicle that can tow my bike and haul everything else lol or maybe I'll ring up a flat tow setup and tow my CRV behind my bike? ?ha ha ?? jk jk that would be far too dangerous lol
Riiiiight.... Cause the way you moved the last time wasn't dangerous at all. (rofl)  

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Archived