The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Akrapovic vs Yoshimura

dmoney

Hi guys and gals.

I've looked through and couldnt find the answer to my questions so i had to make a new topic. I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust but I'm kind of torn between the akrapovic carbon or the yoshimura r77 stainless. Here's what i want out of it and about how i ride:
1. I would like it louder than stock but not to the point where it annoys anyone (it will have baffle)
2. I would prefer to not have to play around with the ecu if possible ( I'm not looking for 'optimum power' or anything like that, just a tad more is fine)
3. I've read and heard the yoshimura loses some power in the lower rpm range (apart from taking off from a set of lights i ride it quite sedately, mostly between 2.5 - 4k rpm)
4. I've heard some mixed ratings about carbon exhausts in terms of lifespan and upkeep which is why I'm looking at the stainless yoshimura.

I think thats it but if you think of any other questions that i should be asking just let me know. There's not many bikes around me so its hard to actually hear one and youtube vids wont do them any justice so it feels like theres no point.

Thanks ☺

pineappleunderthesea

I believe the Akra Carbon has that longer path length (that loop in the exhaust) to prevent loss of power you've read about with the Yoshi. So you don't really need a tune with the Akra, while you might need one with the Yoshi. My Akra Carbon ran fine without a tune, but I eventually did get a tune from 2WDW because why not!

Thanks for that. The more research i do the more im leaning towards the akrapovic carbon. How have you found it? Have you noticed any damage to the carbon?

Guest 2wheeler

My $0.02 worth...

If you are adament on not getting an ECU flash, go with the Akra, otherwise get the Yoshi.

The Yoshi with the baffle in gets the second highest performance hit from 2WDW with the Akra Ti (baffle out) getting the highest. Check out these charts which surely don't show the Yoshi at a loss from stock in the lower RPM ranges. Note that the Yoshi chart starts at 2K while the stock chart starts at 3.5K

Regarding the Yoshi with baffle in vs out, I've talked with Nels who said the difference is minimal at best.

https://fz07.org/thread/2625/fz-07-flash-dyno-charts?page=1

Thanks for that. I'm not against the reflash but it could potentially make my insurance invalid so in all honesty i dont really want to take a risk like that for a bit of extra power. I'll have to check with my insurance company but from what I've seen its considered an 'illegal modification' so it doesnt seem worth it for me personally. Thanks again ☺

yamahazaki

This is the first time I've ever read anyone saying something about invalidating insurance due to an ecu flash.

Thanks for that. I'm not against the reflash but it could potentially make my insurance invalid so in all honesty i dont really want to take a risk like that for a bit of extra power. I'll have to check with my insurance company but from what I've seen its considered an 'illegal modification' so it doesnt seem worth it for me personally. Thanks again ☺
How many people have you seen that had trouble with the law over their ECU? I haven't heard of any. Besides, a flash tune isn't all about making more h.p. there are things they can do that will benefit the bike without making it illegal. Also, an Akra carbon pipe is strictly a race pipe itself, illegal on the streets. Are you sure you want one? GL! 

Beemer

Thanks for the reply beemer. My issue isnt with the legality of it if im honest, its purely for insurance and ive heard they do check them here after a crash. I could be wrong and could have heard too many stories but if i can get the upgrade without having to do it then i would definitely prefer that. Ive seen heaps of bikes here with the 'race only' exhausts and the police only seem to care if you're being an idiot.

This is the first time I've ever read anyone saying something about invalidating insurance due to an ecu flash.

Haha fair call, my issue is that my bike is my only form of transport so if i crash and they deem it tampered with then im down a bike and no money to replace it. Its purely just covering my a$$

pineappleunderthesea
Thanks for that. The more research i do the more im leaning towards the akrapovic carbon. How have you found it? Have you noticed any damage to the carbon?
I've had mine for about 5000 miles without issues. I left the baffle in since it's already a big difference vs. stock, it's a bit louder than you think it will be, but not obnoxiously loud.  I like it a lot, it gives the bike a little more aggressiveness.  
You can always get a tune later on if you get the mod-bug again. A tune does make some difference, but not a night and day difference in my book. What i noticed with the 2WDW tune was how smooth the bike became. The HP increase was less noticeable in the butt Dyno. 

Thanks for the info. I think the akrapovic is the way to go for me. It seems to tick more boxes and it seems to be less work involved in getting it working how i think i want it.

Haha fair call, my issue is that my bike is my only form of transport so if i crash and they deem it tampered with then im down a bike and no money to replace it. Its purely just covering my a$$
If they can deem your ECU tampered with they could deem your pipe tampered with. Problems, problems. I would get something in writing from them that states exactly what they would deem "tampered with" to cover my ass. 

Beemer

If they can deem your ECU tampered with they could deem your pipe tampered with. Problems, problems. I would get something in writing from them that states exactly what they would deem "tampered with" to cover my ass.

From what ive seen the exhaust is classed as an add-on here because it can be replaced. The ecu is considered untouchable. I will check with the insurance company but every dealership has told me the same thing

From what ive seen the exhaust is classed as an add-on here because it can be replaced. The ecu is considered untouchable. I will check with the insurance company but every dealership has told me the same thing
Really?! Even though Akrapovich states it's a race pipe. Head up it's arse Cali, go figure. Wait, are you from Cali? Ha! 

Beemer

yamahazaki

Ah ok, you live in Australia. My earlier post was based on the U.S. I honestly don't know what goes on in Australia, so definitely do some more research with your insurance co.

The reason for reflashing the ECU is NOT primarily for more power , but to make the bike smoother and easier to ride. Power gain will be a tiny bit. Other things like throttle smoothness and engine braking will be much improved. It does increase the 5th and 6th top speeds ( they are limited). I am in Australia also. There is no way from the outside your insurance company can tell the ecu has been reflashed. I got better fuel economy from the reflash oithers have had a slight decrease.
The reflash is the best thing I did for the motor next to the inlet tubes wideneing.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Thanks for the reply gregjet. So what your saying is that a reflash wont necessarily 'de-restrict' the bike because thats the thing I'm a bit worried about for the insurance side of things. Im personally very happy with the bike as is to be honest but having said that, I've never tried one thats had the work done.

It will "de restrict" a number of things. If you have the MT07 Aussie LAMS model and want to keep it LAMS. It will pretty much be undetectable and even WITH a DNA/K7N filter AND aftermarket exhaust AND changing the throttle plate still will only have 54HP. If you don't change the throttle plate it will be still below the HP/WT LAMS limit but be WAAAAY nicer and smoother to ride. I personally believe the LAMS 07 is not a suitable bike for beginners as it comes off the dealer floor, because of the poor throttle control ( read erratic) ands poor suspension and geometry resulting in a vague front end feel. The ecu reflash at least controls the surprise wheelie rubbish.
Re: the reflash et al., see my post in the Aussie deristrict thread. The original playing around was without the throttle body restrictors modded. https://fz07.org/thread/3667/derestricting-lams-mt07-australia. That will explain better.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Thanks for the replies and help guys. What I've found out is that an ECU flash is a no-go but i can put a power commander in it to smooth it out a bit and thats considered to be perfectly legal. With that said I'm getting the exhaust installed on wednesday and I'll see about the rest as i go along. I went with the akrapovic carbon so i just need a few things painted and the bike will be perfect. Thanks again everyone. Safe riding ☺

• 3 months later...

It's been almost 4 months now. What do you think of the Akrapovic setup? Happy with the outcome? Any regrets? Any recommendations? Akra seems to be the best choice...

Archived