The MT-07 Forum

Cheap Exhaust.

slimphattz

slimphattz

I just bought a 2016. Had it for exactly one week and I'm already hating how quiet it is, loving everything else. Looking for exhaust options and I can find nothing under $400. I do not have that kind of money and the 6 3/8" hole method doesn't quite cut it. Is there anyone on here with a cheap/value made custom exhaust that can give a little step by step on how to do it? Maybe one of those ebay mufflers with a welded pipe in the middle?

• Global Moderator
I just bought a 2016. Had it for exactly one week and I'm already hating how quiet it is, loving everything else. Looking for exhaust options and I can find nothing under $400. I do not have that kind of money and the 6 3/8" hole method doesn't quite cut it. Is there anyone on here with a cheap/value made custom exhaust that can give a little step by step on how to do it? Maybe one of those ebay mufflers with a welded pipe in the middle?
M4 slipon, it requires cutting your catalytic tumor off the headers though

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I just did the m4 and it sounds much better. I didn't have the right tools to properly smooth the headers (and mine seemed to have some excessive weld on it), so couldn't get the exhaust clamp to seal completely against the headers. I ended up just ditching the clamps and having an exhaust shop weld it together for me.

You can always get the Chinese exhaust systems on eBay. They're in the sub-$250 range if you are strapped for money. And YouTube has plenty of step-by-step tutorials.

Anything "custom" will cost more due to the custom labor, parts, and quality control involved.

My suggestion is to save up more money and get something high quality and with a good reputation because a great bike like the FZ-07 deserves it. I personally didn't get my Black Widow exhaust system until a year after my purchase. Going cheap on a piece that affects your engine performance and possibly your safety will only result in regret.

Just my opinion though. Good luck.

You do you and I'll do me.

• Global Moderator

This is not an exhaust option but you get a lot better sound with the 2wdw flash and the snorkel removed. It is more of a growl, especially in the mid rpm range (not to mention all the other improvements with the ECU flash). I am very happy with it.

Check out Black Widow Exhausts. I wouldn't call it "cheap" though. "Inexpensive" might be a better adjective.

I'm going this route: Chinese stuff

http://m.ebay.com/itm/112376363389?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20161006002618&meid=48c802fc859e448d856ce331d5ec246d&pid=100694&rk=1&rkt=36&sd=232301506603&_trksid=p2385738.c100694.m4598&_mwBanner=1

And then this end cap :
http://m.ebay.com/itm/172673573898?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20161006002618&meid=714fa5b8a0f74019b2d4fa3ba3aa1e53&pid=100694&rk=4&rkt=37&sd=232301506603&_trksid=p2385738.c100694.m4598&_mwBanner=1

My reasoning is Chinese steel ain't terrible as people think, nor are their production methods in general. It will hold pressures just fine and if your worried about finish you can always either do a paint job on it all or have the guy welding the end cap on go over everything with a comb and make sure welds and all are going to be strong. Sending the pipework to a cryogenic treatment service for another 50-75 bucks will bring you into the price range of an M4 or lower end exhaust after install but you'd have a semi-unique system with the benefits of a system with a good bit of header length for building back pressure and torque similar to the Akrapovic Carbon and with any Akra or SC clone end cap which I bet would sound pretty good and performance should be on par with any other exhausts available for the FZ

Archived