The MT-07 Forum

Dash lights flickering/ turning off

mjdavis1994

mjdavis1994

Has anyone experienced this? For the past couple days when I'm going slow or at idle my dash flickers and the lights on it turn completely off. The speedo and all the info on the cluster still read properly however the backlight turns off. If I tap it or rev the engine (I think it's the vibration) it turns back on briefly. I checked the plug and all the pins for the harness and nothings out of the ordinary. My battery is tight and the only mod electrically is the led light for the tail tidy. I unplugged it to see if that may possibly be interfering and sure enough that wasn't it. Any tips? 

• Premium Member

I have only heard such for people who have done electrical mods. Double-check your wiring changes. Then, unplug the dash connector, spray with contact cleaner and let dry, plug/unplug/replug several times. Find if there is a relevant fuse (probably, but I don't have my Shop Manual handy) and replace it. I've had fuses that looked okay, tested okay, but had an otherwise imperceptible flaw that would not pass full current reliably. And, all the best!!!

(and, perhaps someone else with a similar experience will chime in to help.)

mjdavis1994

Thanks I'll double check everything. I previously unplugged my led license plate light just to see and nothing changed, the battery connections were good but now that I'm home and have my multimeter I can go a little more in depth, I'll look to see what fuse is for the cluster thanks guys.

When you check the battery volts engine running look see if the volts look steady,
check connection from alternator and regulator as well as any others you see.

mjdavis1994

Update:: everything tested okay and voltage was steady. I think something's wrong with the dash itself I turned the brightness up two clicks and it doesn't shut the lights completely off anymore but it slightly gets brighter and dimmer (now you have to look at it closely to notice). I need a wiring schematic.. tried to go to the dealer but they wanted the bike for 1-2 weeks and I go on a trip to TN today so. 

mjdavis1994

Update: so after my 26 hour ride to TN halfway through it started flickering again. This time I noticed when it does there's a checkered effect. I got a video once I link up my go pro I'll post it. It's so adgitating when you tap the screen when it goes out it comes back on.

mjdavis1994

[video src=https://youtu.be/e6wtUyoWJ-o] Like I said when you tap it it comes back on briefly.

• 4 weeks later...

Exact same thing happened to me, it gets progressively worse. My bike was still in warranty at the time. Dealer replaced it free of charge (but now my tach isnt actual miles). Unfortunately they told me it was factory defect.

• Premium Member

Yeah, after all is said and done, it sounds like a wonky dash... probably the only "fix" is a replacement it and hope the new one is not from the same batch--not likely. LOTS of people do not have this problem so there is hope! All the best.

mjdavis1994

Thanks guys unfortunately I deployed before a dealership could look at it. I'll be back in October/November time frame and will get it worked on under warranty. If they want to be stingy and refuse to fix it under warranty (idk why they wouldn't want to its free money) then I'll buy one offline. Saw one on yamahapartshouse for 220 if I remember correctly. Just sucks my bike got 8700 miles in 3 months and now it'll say 0 D:

Archived