The MT-07 Forum

Learn smooth cornering

faffi

Not all engines will be happy coasting with engine shut off, I'm led to believe, but you can let it idle in neutral.

Good Idea, but not so good for street. Part of my suggestions to new riders while training in dirt is to cost down hills using nothing but momentum and brakes. Doing this in my personal experience teaches one to learn the dynamics of body position and how that influences the load and unloading of suspension. I am not sold coasting teaches when and how to use brakes. Here is why, trail braking is only understood under power, braking to settle the chassis is as well not felt while coasting "entirely". I think what you can gain at this is learning a proper apex entry and exit and using that plus body position gives a better understanding on how the bike is dealing with inertia. Great vids but use caution on a public road. I advise always to get a dirt bike before a street, get the experiance of a bike sliding and muscel memory conditioning it all translates to street, just my opinion.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Greatest aid to smooth cornering is to look where you want to go not where you're going.
This is the one of the best and one of the hardest things to learn. You naturally want to focus on the threat, it's instinct. My dad told me,"Look where you want to go, because you're going to go where you look." Look at the rock in the trail, hit the rock in the trail. Look at the cone in the riding course, hit the cone in the riding course. It's like magic.

• Premium Member

Last friday at my first track day the biggest lesson they tried to teach us novices was stick to 1(smaller sized bikes like a 300cc stuck to 2-3 gears majority of the time) gear as much as possible around the track and never fully close the throttle when cornering, just keep it above fully closed just a smidge...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Fixation is a solid object

I teach that as Rider said you look at it there your going. To many times I have had to assist pulling a bike up over a cliff as the rider fixated on that edge and sure enough there they go or up the curb. One lesson I advise and I think this is what the instructors where implying (Norcal616)go slow to go fast.

I will leave it like this, when you watch a race or if your at a track day, spend time at corners or areas you are having trouble with, WATCH THE FAST GUYS, listen to the engine, listen for the shift, watch the apex entry and exit. The more saddle time you have the more comfortable you will be on the bike

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived