The MT-07 Forum

Ohlins basic kit, everyday effect

bugeyes

I keep coming back to the thought of upgrading the suspension and keep getting repelled by the cost and the uncertainty what it would do for me.

Problems I want to solve...

1 - I feel that this bike feels a bit undefined when cornering even at moderate pace, like it's not keeping the intended line and I have to micro correct. My previous bike have felt more consistent in the way that they required more active countersteering to turn in and then kept the line better giving me a more relaxed ride.

2 - The forks feel muschy with dive and no rebound at all.

Beeing Swedish Ohlins kind of come natural to look at, but the full Nix22 and shock upgrade is too expensive to put on a cheap bike as I see it. Wondering what the basic kit would do about  the above.

This is the kit I'm looking at...

https://www.omniaracing.net/en/ohlins-basic-suspension-kit-shock-absorber-springs-fork-oil-for-yamaha-2014-p-20604.html

Looking for feedback from those with experience of it or other kits in similar price range.

Thank's in advance

Guest 2wheeler
I keep coming back to the thought of upgrading the suspension and keep getting repelled by the cost and the uncertainty what it would do for me. 
Problems I want to solve...

1 - I feel that this bike feels a bit undefined when cornering even at moderate pace, like it's not keeping the intended line and I have to micro correct. My previous bike have felt more consistent in the way that they required more active countersteering to turn in and then kept the line better giving me a more relaxed ride.

2 - The forks feel muschy with dive and no rebound at all.

Beeing Swedish Ohlins kind of come natural to look at, but the full Nix22 and shock upgrade is too expensive to put on a cheap bike as I see it. Wondering what the basic kit would do about  the above.

This is the kit I'm looking at...

https://www.omniaracing.net/en/ohlins-basic-suspension-kit-shock-springs-fork-oil-for-suzuki-gsf-1250-bandit-2007-p-20670.html

Looking for feedback from those with experience of it or other kits in similar price range.

Thank's in advance
A cheaper alternative would be getting a base model Bitubo shock with Sonic springs and some good old BelRay fork oil (or something similar)

Bellissimoto gives great deals to forum members on the Bitubo, and you will likely cut your overall cost for the shocks and springs by at least two hundred dollars.

Here's a link to that Bitubo shock:

http://bitubo.com/prodotti-dettaglio.php?ID=100

• Like 1

The Ohlins kit is EUR 632 so the price seem to be about the same.

Guest 2wheeler
The Ohlins kit is EUR 632 so the price seem to be about the same.
I'm not sure what difference the rates would be, but it could be possibile that you could buy the shock from Bellissimoto in the US with their 20% discount, and have it shipped to Sweden, and the savings would be more significant.

Just a thought

I still wonder what a kit like this would do for me, if it's likely to help the problems mentioned in the original post.

Guest 2wheeler
I still wonder what a kit like this would do for me, if it's likely to help the problems mentioned in the original post.
I have added the Sonic springs, heavier fork oil and a resized spacer to adjust for sag to my bike. The difference was immediately noticeable, so much so that I feel no need for a further upgrade.

I have puchased that specific Bitubo shock but have yet to install it. When I do, there will definitely be a review on the forum.

I also don't want to put  a ton of money into a cheap bike. If the Bitubo takes away the pogo effect and smooths out most of my ride, I will be more than happy.

Having said that, if the Ohlins is relatively the same price as the Bitubo for you, I would definitely go for the Ohlins. In the US, I saved at least $250 by buying the Bitubo.

• Like 1

I have added the Sonic springs, heavier fork oil and a resized spacer to adjust for sag to my bike. The difference was immediately noticeable, so much so that I feel no need for a further upgrade. 
I have puchased that specific Bitubo shock but have yet to install it. When I do, there will definitely be a review on the forum.

I also don't want to put  a ton of money into a cheap bike. If the Bitubo takes away the pogo effect and smooths out most of my ride, I will be more than happy.

Having said that, if the Ohlins is relatively the same price as the Bitubo for you, I would definitely go for the Ohlins. In the US, I saved at least $250 by buying the Bitubo.

Sounds great, I have my finger on the order button. My previous bike, a Bandit 1200, had muschy forks too when it was new. A change of fork oil was all that was needed for that one and I was fine with it.

Couldn't stop myself, pressed the button for the Ohlins kit :)

• Like 5

• Premium Member

Yamaha does not make a cheap bike. It costs less because they neglected the suspension. If you like the fz07 otherwise, upgrade the suspension, and now you have a perfect bike.

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I shall return with my impessions once I get it and mount it. I really hope it will make the difference I seek.

• Like 2

I would have suggested the K-Tech Razor-Lite (aka Street) shock (here in USA it's $499 MSRP) and since we don't know your weight, maybe you don't need the fork springs? @2wheeler we put something like 35cSt@40 oil in your forks? And 150mm height I believe. But it was the new, properly fitting bushings that made all the difference. (sorry, couldn't help myself)

https://www.omniaracing.net/tech-mono-ammortizzatore-posteriore-razor-lite-regorabile-per-yamaha-mt07-2013-p-42780.html

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I would have suggested the K-Tech Razor-Lite (aka Street) shock (here in USA it's $499 MSRP) and since we don't know your weight, maybe you don't need the fork springs? @2wheeler we put something like 35cSt@40 oil in your forks? And 150mm height I believe. But it was the new, properly fitting bushings that made all the difference. (sorry, couldn't help myself) 
https://www.omniaracing.net/tech-mono-ammortizzatore-posteriore-razor-lite-regorabile-per-yamaha-mt07-2013-p-42780.html

Thank's, 
But I will go with the Ohlins kit much because I like the brand ?
Also feels good to get a kit with components designed to work together. I'm just under 90 kg right now and trying to loose some, choose springs for 80-90 kg rider. I tend to weigh between 85 and 90 over time.

• 2 weeks later...

The kit has been sent by DHL now and with some luck this weekend will be upgrade time.
I read lot about fork oils on the web and forums and it confuses me. Many people seem to go with thicker oils than comes with the kit, others warn that it messes up the hydraulics. Grateful for experienced advise on that part.

Well, let us know what springs you get and what oil (need SKU) comes with the package. Oil is cheap - just messy. I doubt it's at all thick enough to deal with the high-school shop class quality damper rods the FZ07 received. Try it as delivered then try a thicker oil say in the 33cSt@40 range. Compare and contrast.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rigjw2juyyvi7jn/Fork%20oil%20weights.html

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Well, let us know what springs you get and what oil (need SKU) comes with the package. Oil is cheap - just messy. I doubt it's at all thick enough to deal with the high-school shop class quality damper rods the FZ07 received. Try it as delivered then try a thicker oil say in the 33cSt@40 range. Compare and contrast. 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rigjw2juyyvi7jn/Fork%20oil%20weights.html
I get the Ohlins springs for 80-90 kg and I'm closer to the latter. Others have gotten Ohlins 5W water thin oil with the kit

I went straight ahead and installed the chock, no time to do the forks today.

Set the sag and the preload according to the recommendations in the manual and took it for a test ride.

All was fine on the smaller roads but that was ok before as well. Found some curves and it was definately an improvement. The real wow came on the motorway, I never liked this bike att motorway speeds over 120 kmh before, felt unsteady. Now it felt planted so I increased the speed gradually and when I had to let off the trottle at 170 kmh it was still fine and that makes the purchase worth it.

Hope to be even happier when I get the springs in.

They sent Ohlins 20W fork oil, not the 5W that someone else got.

• Like 1

Did the forks today, did it exactly as the instructions said and no extra oil or preload. It's perfect and I think mr Ohlin knows what he's doing.

One hard part remain, where do I put the stickers?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Congrats!. Stickers always go on the tool box. :D

• Like 3

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Did the forks today, did it exactly as the instructions said and no extra oil or preload. It's perfect and I think mr Ohlin knows what he's doing. 
So, money well spent? I'm also thinking about pulling the trigger on that exact same kit. 

So, money well spent? I'm also thinking about pulling the trigger on that exact same kit. 
Do it and you won't be sorry
  • Like 1

Thought I might end this tread by answering my initial question about what it does for me in everyday use...

Brake dive reduced and it nods only once even when provoked, before it would go 3 times on the rebound.

Speed bumps are eaten by the suspension and it settles immediately after like magic, provoked it on this by using higher speed than normal.

Badly maintained bumpy roads doesn't bump my but, just the wheels.

Turning is now a pleasure with a steady radius after turning in, no more constant adjustments in the turn.

High speed now feel steady that used to make the bike feel upset and me to feel nervous.

It's still a very comfy suspension and not stiff and bouncy but now without the rocking horse feel.

Glad I did this and I can highly recommend it.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
slangklamman
Thought I might end this tread by answering my initial question about what it does for me in everyday use... 
Brake dive reduced and it nods only once even when provoked, before it would go 3 times on the rebound.

Speed bumps are eaten by the suspension and it settles immediately after like magic, provoked it on this by using higher speed than normal.

Badly maintained bumpy roads doesn't bump my but, just the wheels.

Turning is now a pleasure with a steady radius after turning in, no more constant adjustments in the turn.

High speed now feel steady that used to make the bike feel upset and me to feel nervous.

It's still a very comfy suspension and not stiff and bouncy but now without the rocking horse feel.

Glad I did this and I can highly recommend it.

Hi, im a swede to ?? were did you order the kit and how much did it cost?

Hej,

I ordered from Italy on the link in the first post in this tread. Could not find the kit at the Swedish distributor.