The MT-07 Forum

Frame sliders. Yes or No?

TennesseeCrusin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get kindo crazy with posts like these.  Its a me thing... I think we should have a frame slider shoot-out... Any volunteers?

I wont buy them again, I have them on the R1 I do see the purpose but wont buy them.  Here is why, I have no money for made up bullshit that racers use.  Never seen a frame slider on any race bike, so really your paying 100 bucks plus for what?  Oh ya Cool...

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, r1limited said:

I get kindo crazy with posts like these.  Its a me thing... I think we should have a frame slider shoot-out... Any volunteers?

I wont buy them again, I have them on the R1 I do see the purpose but wont buy them.  Here is why, I have no money for made up bullshit that racers use.  Never seen a frame slider on any race bike, so really your paying 100 bucks plus for what?  Oh ya Cool...

Riders of race bikes don't need to worry about crashing, as they just get a new everything anyways. Why would they bother putting them on? For us non sponsored folk that need to mind our wallets, sliders can protect your motor, worth it IMO so that if (read when) you crash you can save the single most expensive component, the engine. The rest of the stuff all breaks easy and can usually be fixed, straightened, replaced, or ignored, relatively cheap compared to the power plant.

As far as the brand, no one is better than the other I suppose, but if people have experience with a brand saving the engine during a crash, please offer it up.

My .02

'16 FZ07

• Premium Member

skip the frame sliders and get engine case style sliders...fz-07 plastic body pieces are cheap...bent frame mount or the possibility of a frame mount bolt getting ripped out of the motor cases are not so cheap... If it was me I would get the Higdonion Cage as I have it on my FJ-09... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

13 hours ago, botticelli said:

Riders of race bikes don't need to worry about crashing, as they just get a new everything anyways. Why would they bother putting them on? For us non sponsored folk that need to mind our wallets, sliders can protect your motor, worth it IMO so that if (read when) you crash you can save the single most expensive component, the engine. The rest of the stuff all breaks easy and can usually be fixed, straightened, replaced, or ignored, relatively cheap compared to the power plant.

As far as the brand, no one is better than the other I suppose, but if people have experience with a brand saving the engine during a crash, please offer it up.

My .02

I some what agree, but what about the privateer? that Team No Budget racer?  Still do not see them wonder why?  weight? arodynamics?  SNAKE OIL? ;)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I recently bought the Woodcraft frame sliders. Pretty happy with them in terms of quality. The replaceable pucks are a really nice feature and the cross mounted bolts make sense to me from an engineering point of view.

Why did I buy them? Low speed / standing drops. Had one on my last bike when I started riding. I didn't care because it was a beater bike, but I would probably cringe if it happened to this one. For $60, it's cheap insurance and much better than having a sad looking scratch or scrape.

At high speed, you're getting damage either way. Some people have had good luck with sliders, other haven't. I'm not counting on them for high speed situations. 

2 hours ago, TheWulf said:

I recently bought the Woodcraft frame sliders. Pretty happy with them in terms of quality. The replaceable pucks are a really nice feature and the cross mounted bolts make sense to me from an engineering point of view.

Why did I buy them? Low speed / standing drops. Had one on my last bike when I started riding. I didn't care because it was a beater bike, but I would probably cringe if it happened to this one. For $60, it's cheap insurance and much better than having a sad looking scratch or scrape.

At high speed, you're getting damage either way. Some people have had good luck with sliders, other haven't. I'm not counting on them for high speed situations. 

mostly in the same school of thought here. Mostly have it for lower speed drops. All bets are off on high speed, yes the frame slider "may" catch and cause your bike to flip, rip the engine mount bolts etc. However too many variables, some people walk away with a few scuffs, some bikes blow to pieces.... to each his own either way!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just lowsided at about 65 and the woodcraft sliders I had on protected almost everything on my bike. I have a bent handlebar and a bent shift lever. A scuff on the left fairing that is on the yamaha logo and some other cosmetic damages

guylee,

You can get cylindrical high density nylon from bearing shops ( or at least you can in Australia). It makes brilliant sliders. Easy to turn but works best with lower rotational speeds and broader cutting tools so it doesn't heat up the workpiece as much.  VERY tough....VERY

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived