The MT-07 Forum

Frame sliders. Yes or No?

TennesseeCrusin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cherrera0606

I had the shogun sliders installed before I even rode the bike off the lot. They are thick and strong, I would definitely recommend. Ive dropped the bike twice and they protected the bike perfectly while taking light damage. Yes to sliders!

I ordered the frame sliders from taco bell, man super hot sauce mad eme great

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator

Taco Bell?? I thought White Castle made the best sliders.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but I believe the OES (EDIT: Vagabond) frame sliders are the only sliders (or perhaps one of the few) that don't require changing the stock motor mount bolt. There are concerns that the longer bolt required to mount the bolt-thru type sliders is less structurally sound, especially considering the engine is a stress member. The vagabond frame sliders insert into the opening like a plug, and an allen bolt inserted through the hole in the bottom frame-mount opening secures it. No bolt required.

• Global Moderator

You are thinking of the Vagabond sliders. The OES ones bolt on, but it is a high quality bolt. I am not worried about it at all.

You are thinking of the Vagabond sliders. The OES ones bolt on, but it is a high quality bolt. I am not worried about it at all.
This is correct. I have Vagabond sliders. They are extremely well made and fit perfect. The just about disappear as well, which is something I wanted. 

You are correct! I have the vagabond frame sliders and OES axle sliders, hence the confusion. Thanks for the clarification.

• Premium Member

Higdonion Cage...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Ha! I've been doing that for years. I move between putting my feet on the sliders and putting my calf on them. There's a lot of positions for long trips.
Back in the day when I took long trips on my old XZ550RJ  
I used to want one of those quite badly. Especially the Euro version. 
Yamaha_XZ_550.jpg

Back in the day when I took long trips on my old XZ550RJ  
I used to want one of those quite badly. Especially the Euro version. 
Yamaha_XZ_550.jpg

It's too bad they discontinued making them after just two years. In some ways they were like the FZ-07, they had good, low end torque, decent handling, fast for a 550cc bike (12.83 1/4 mile), shaft drive was nice, engine was smooth and it was very comfy for long hauls. The 5 gal. tank was a plus I almost forgot about. The bike almost seemed to have it all, I didn't have any complaints about it although it had some minor quirks. I wonder just how good that bike could've been after say, another two years of tweaking.  

Beemer

Yes, they make a great sound as well. Shaft drive is a bonus, especially on multi-day rides and for those riding on wet roads. A real pity they didn't stick with it. They based the Venture engine on it, which again was - in a higher state of tune - the engine fitted to the original V-Max.

TennesseeCrusin

I ended up with Shogun sliders. I only have the front sets right now. but I'll pick up a second pair for the other set. Thanks guys!

• 5 weeks later...

I also recommend the front axle/fork sliders (I think R&G racing makes them?). Relatively inexpensive, 10 second install, and good added security. I used to use shogun sliders on my old bike, but I have Hepco Becker engine guards with sliders on my FZ, and they were worth their weight in gold when I ate shit in the middle of nowhere. Having dropped bikes at a standstill and at speed more times than I care to admit, I'm a very big fan of sliders, and not as big a fan of not having them and trying to start a bike with a bent in rearset and no clutch lever, haha (Hypothetically, of course. Hypothetically.....)

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

babisstinson

I have installed all the R&G ones for our bike, frame, front axle, rear axle. Probably the first mod you need to install, they will save serious money from accidental drops or crashes.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know about those vagabond sliders. Someone on here had them, crashed, and all it did was end up bending the tubular frame lip it was screwed into.

• Premium Member
I don't know about those vagabond sliders. Someone on here had them, crashed, and all it did was end up bending the tubular frame lip it was screwed into.

That's the chance you take with any frame sliders. If they catch onto something after you lowside then they could bend the frame or the sliders can catch onto something and cause the bike to tumble. Those are the cons. Although, chances are they'll prevent more damage than they'l cause.

That's the chance you take with any frame sliders. If they catch onto something after you lowside then they could bend the frame or the sliders can catch onto something and cause the bike to tumble. Those are the cons. Although, chances are they'll prevent more damage than they'l cause.
I managed to test them... It was at low speed (at a corner after red light, I was lucky enough to get some oil on my rear wheen and it slipped out) and they have done the job perfectly. The bike was sliding for about 5 meters on its side. All I had to replace is the slider and the front fork slider, but they are made to absorb such crashes :) If you crash at high speed no slider will save the bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody does the homemade axle sliders anymore? lol

Two lengths of all thread and a handful of skateboard wheels...job done. Change colors on a whim for a couple bucks.

• Premium Member

WOMMET TECH. I have 3 Lowsides and an epic high side. They do the job every time.

~Pete

'16 FZ07

I'm just beginning the machining program at my local tech school and will probably be making a set of frame sliders in the future. Factory sliders might be cheap, but it's hard to beat free!

After reading that many people in here have the OES sliders, I will probably order a set of those. I was looking at the Puig Pro frame sliders, but read a review on how it bent flush with the engine case and did f@#k all.

Archived