The MT-07 Forum

Frame sliders. Yes or No?

TennesseeCrusin

TennesseeCrusin

What's your opinion on frame sliders? Should I invest in some? If so, what kind?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
snowdriftless
I think they're worth it. Will save your plastic from derp drops and help protect things in a slide. I have OES frame, fork, and axle sliders. They weren't too expensive and were easy to install. Blends in pretty well with the bike. 
I second this as I have the same on my bike and it's saved my skin a few times. OES is also happy to send you single replacements or only the left/right side or even an individual slider and only charge you for what you purchased.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Global Moderator

I too have OES sliders. I got them as much for the aesthetic value as the protection. I thought the engine frame mount and axle bolts showing like they do made the bike look unfinished.

I was listening to a podcast the other day and there was a guy on who managed a track. He said they required sliders as they do not tear up up the track as much if you go down. If you are planning to do track days you might want to check with your track to see. That might make the decision for you.

AlbatrossCafe

They are cheap enough that you might as well. I have never used mine in a crash, but I feel they are needed to "complete" the bike. The frame slider mounting point on the FZ-07 looks unfinished without them IMHO.

Also they double has backup footpegs if you are on a long ride in the middle of no where and want to adjust your riding position for a bit ;)

They are cheap enough that you might as well. I have never used mine in a crash, but I feel they are needed to "complete" the bike. The frame slider mounting point on the FZ-07 looks unfinished without them IMHO. 
Also they double has backup footpegs if you are on a long ride in the middle of no where and want to adjust your riding position for a bit ;)
I use my OES sliders as highway pegs all the time, they're great when you want to stretch the legs a bit without stopping. 

• Premium Member

If you consider the alternative, the ridiculous cost and hassle of replacing multiple parts why wouldn't you? Unless you dont care about riding a "beater" of course. Any will do IMO, its a matter of personal taste/$ for which brand. Im happy with my OES frame fork and axle set, as well as the R&G engine covers.
Hepco and Becker (offered here through motomachines I believe) make a nice upper cage, and Higdonion makes a really nice lower cage and skid plate. Check out the vendor section for these guys.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
botticelli

No brain-er IMO, especially considering the costs of OEM plastics these days.

Peace of mind, and they look top notch

I have the full protection pack from Wommet tech and I have low-sided twice, on the left only thing I needed both times was new handle bars (bent) and a new foot shift lever.

Paid for itself an then some, time and time again, and keeps my bike pretty.

'16 FZ07

I had R&G fork, frame, rear axle and bar end sliders on my Aprilia Tuono which I happen to use. The frame slider took a beating along with the bar end. It saved the tank so frame slider would bemy 1st buy.IMG_0387.jpg

I have the Vagabond sliders and think they're great. Saved the bike from some scratches and scrapes after setting the bike down on a rocky driveway.  

I've heard the pros and cons on frame sliders and I think the pros outweigh the cons. The biggest con I've heard is the slider can catch on something and flip the bike but how often would that happen? It's there to protect an expensive engine mostly so why not?

Vagabond Motorsports VM-Y701 Yamaha FZ-07 & MT-07 Frame Sliders

They went on quickly and easily and they look good. Not too expensive either.

Beemer

I use my OES sliders as highway pegs all the time, they're great when you want to stretch the legs a bit without stopping. 
Can't believe I've never thought to do this before!  (rofl)

Man frame sliders, I know for sure they add 10hp to the bike due to slip stream.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I like Vagabonds. If you drop at high enough velocity to flip the bike off a slider it will probably snap off anyway.

I'd say yes, but they don't protect against frontal or rear hits.
Mine cost me $40, for 2 pegs mounted on the frame.

Thinking about axle sliders at some point too.

kriptikracing

Get the t-rex racing combo. Has all sliders you'll need...frame, case, axle...also comes with rear spools. Roughly $400 shipped.

Vagabond look the most like a stock fitment. No branding on them. Install in seconds without unscrewing engine mount. Will disengage in a nasty slide to save bike from likely flipping on you in a top side slide while those mounted with engine bolts are more likely to cause problems. And well they just look better than anything else on the market.

I haven't tried it either so now I have to. I wonder if people on cruisers will see my feet propped up and think I'm on a cruiser at distance and wave before they realize I'm on a sport bike. I feel dastardly now, heh, heh! P-)  

Beemer

I haven't tried it either so now I have to. I wonder if people on cruisers will see my feet propped up and think I'm on a cruiser at distance and wave before they realize I'm on a sport bike. I feel dastardly now, heh, heh! P-)
I tend to get a few weird looks when I do it hahah

Ha! I've been doing that for years. I move between putting my feet on the sliders and putting my calf on them. There's a lot of positions for long trips.

• Premium Member
panchobullet

I got Evotech Frame, Front & Rear and they already saved me from a low side. After checking the bikes I can tell sliders took 97% of the damages (remaining 3% was clutch lever tip, bar end and peg) I got exactly the sames one the follwing morning. Without them the story would have been really ugly and way more expensive.

So, should you invest in some? In my opinion, absolutely yes. What kind? Whatever that makes you feel confortable in safety, looking and budget.

Here is a shot of Dark-Y so you can check them out.

IMG_20170515_145753_2.jpg

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

Ha! I've been doing that for years. I move between putting my feet on the sliders and putting my calf on them. There's a lot of positions for long trips.
Back in the day when I took long trips on my old XZ550RJ I would let my tank bag support my weight, taking pressure off my wrists/arms. Head behind the 1/4 fairing and put my feet on the passenger pegs. I was nearly laying down on the bike but it was comfy and made for a good way to stretch out. It helped with the mpg. also.  

Beemer

Archived