The MT-07 Forum

2nd track day ever on the fz 07

c0al67

I got to go to the commonwealth motorcycles / Indy Ducati dealerships track day at Putnam Park Road Course this past Sunday. I'm sure the more experienced track days can find out a handfull of things i need to improve, don't hesitate to post. I wanna know what I should focus on my next time out. 

[video src=https://youtu.be/M9DJYXZR_6Y" size="large]

You can brake much later and harder and you can accelerate sooner and much harder, but take it step by step. Just know that you have a lot in reserve. The good thing is that you seem to be very well in control and with smooth, consistent brake and throttle inputs.

Other than that, it is hard to tell properly from the video angle, but it looks like you twist your body when hanging off. Your hips should not twist and your shoulders should always be in line with the handlebars. Also, your back should always be in line with the bike. Your body position seems similar to that of my brother, who also twist his body when hanging off - this is a similar video from his second ever track day.

You can brake much later and harder and you can accelerate sooner and much harder, but take it step by step. Just know that you have a lot in reserve. The good thing is that you seem to be very well in control and with smooth, consistent brake and throttle inputs. 
Other than that, it is hard to tell properly from the video angle, but it looks like you twist your body when hanging off. Your hips should not twist and your shoulders should always be in line with the handlebars. Also, your back should always be in line with the bike. Your body position seems similar to that of my brother, who also twist his body when hanging off - this is a similar video from his second ever track day.

Thanks man! I definitely gotta work on braking harder. It's a weird thing how it feels when your doing vs when I'm watching myself on video. I watched them all back afterwards and kept thinking man I could have went way faster!

This clip is one of the rare times when I had some open track, usually there were 2 to 3 people going even slower through the corners causing me to slow way way down. I want to run intermediate next time but im undecided if I'm fast enough for it or not. I don't wanna hold anyone up but I hate limping through the corners since no passing I allowed in novice except in straights

That is for you to decide, but you should be safer in the slow group. You can also make it more challenging by planning your passes so they happen at the best places for you. Try and leave yourself some space, use the corner to close up and pass them with great speed at the exit. Or brake deep and pass them just before a corner. Plenty of challenges to be had. Then again, if you are fast enough for intermediate you may learn a lot from following someone just slightly faster than you.

• 1 month later...

That's awesome!!!!! I have always wanted to do a track day!

Not thrilled about risking my beauty and have been looking for a cheap ninja 300 to throw around!

• 5 weeks later...

yeah buddy! i just picked up an FZ07 for the woman 4 weeks ago... she's put over 4000 miles on it so far, and i've put...maybe....6? haha. she's an instructor at the track (on her R6 or my GSXR) but absulutely loves the FZ07. it's her first street-legal bike she's ever had.

anyhow... lots of things to work on at the track...it's pretty much a FOREVER learning process. i've been riding on the track for 13 years now (about 50 days per year on track, on average). i'm STILL working on technique, etc. every time i throw a leg over the bike, i work on stuff. even if it's on the street...i'm thinking about my eyes, engaging my core, etc.

few quick things regarding your video: scoot back off the tank a little bit. it'll allow you to open up your hips and bend at the waist, rather than twisting yourself around the tank and being slightly crossed up.

also, think about your inside foot...you want your toes on the leading edge of the peg so that way you can put weight on it...that will allow you to take weight off the bars mid-corner, as it appears you are doing. the bike will turn better too, without having a bunch of weigt on the bars, effectively locking up your steering head.

just take it slow and one step at a time. :D

i stopped filming myself on the track eons ago..so enjoy this old one! :D

I can't see your video (at work) but here's the line I used at Putnam a few weeks ago when racing my r3 in the ulgt race with MCRA.

Thanks for all the replies on this thread. Tons to think about, heading out tomorrow to the national corvette museum for another track day!

• Premium Member

Check out a book called:
Introduction To Motorcycle Roadracing: With Dynamics of Motorcycle motion
by Ed Bargy

the one with the green cover. Lots of useful tips to think about.

Archived