The MT-07 Forum

Do you ever watch motorcycle crash compilations on youtube?

faffi

• Premium Member

Hard to say because race crashes are in a totally different perspective than youtube videos made by Joe Somebody... Im if watching a race its more analytical perspective... John Doe videos I question the editing more than anything...

Most common mistake I see in racing is the front tire washing out and from the John Doe videos is I wanna say is probably riding on GoPro hero lvl...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

:D

I wasn't thinking about race accidents by proper racers, but primarily street riders or perhaps the odd novice trying a track session. My bad, should have been more specific.

Anyway, from what I have seen these are the most common causes of them crashing, in sequence of how frequent they appear:

1. Riding too fast for the conditions/their level of skill - things happen too fast for them to cope so they overreact or freeze, or they simply run out of road
2. Target fixation - they look at whatever they try to avoid and ride straight into it, be that an oncoming car or a ditch
3. Poor brake control - locking up without the presence to release in time to regain control bring them down
4. Lack of throttle control - hamfisted use of the loud handle make them spin out of control

Then there are quite a few of these weird crashes where they suddenly dump to the ground despite low speeds and moderate lean - they seem totally illogical.

ninjaiceberg

I watch a lot of rnickymouse on youtube. I see a lot of not turning hard enough, causing understeer. But there are so many ways to crash in those videos.

:D 
I wasn't thinking about race accidents by proper racers, but primarily street riders or perhaps the odd novice trying a track session. My bad, should have been more specific.

Anyway, from what I have seen these are the most common causes of them crashing, in sequence of how frequent they appear:

1. Riding too fast for the conditions/their level of skill - things happen too fast for them to cope so they overreact or freeze, or they simply run out of road
2. Target fixation - they look at whatever they try to avoid and ride straight into it, be that an oncoming car or a ditch
3. Poor brake control - locking up without the presence to release in time to regain control bring them down
4. Lack of throttle control - hamfisted use of the loud handle make them spin out of control

Then there are quite a few of these weird crashes where they suddenly dump to the ground despite low speeds and moderate lean - they seem totally illogical.
The last thing you mentioned really isn't illogical at all. From what I've seen in a number of videos where they suddenly go down at low speeds, people don't use good front brake control. They hit the brake too hard either before or after they turn the bars slightly or are leaning some when they jam the front brake and cause the front tire to lock up and wash out. It's hard to detect in real time it happens so fast but it's a fairly common noob mistake. If you watch real close in those videos you can usually see the tires lock up slightly before they wash out. 

Beemer

mjdavis1994

I watch them on a regular basis, like almost every day... got a few guys at work hooked on it lol it gets to a point where you can almost always see what's going to happen before it happens.

I watch them too. While most of them appear to have never been on a bike before (flip flops and jorts), it keeps me humble so that I don't try anything too stupid.

Some of the ones I've seen where a rider runs too wide in a turn and then they crash is because they do not use proper counter steering techniques. For example going around a right hand corner and they run wide, the rider panics and turns the bars to the right causing the bike to stand up and push it farther into the oncoming lane, where they should have actually turned the bars to the left to lean the bike into the corner.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qicjDdBGZGA]

If you slow the video down at 2min 40 secs, you will see that when he sees the fire truck he turns the bars to the right standing the bike up and causing him to collide with the truck. He should have counter steered to the left and that would have caused the bike to lean right avoiding the accident.

• Premium Member

Squiding for one and secondly, flicking the "little policeman" off your shoulder and riding beyond one's ability when you ride off into the great unknown.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

At one time, I spent entire days looking at it!
It's entertaining for a while.
Both the educational benefits, as the joy or sorrow of finding the honest accidents amongst the idiots who had it coming...
I think for me, there are 3 main reasons that keep on appearing over and over again:

1: Speeding would probably be the number one, causing in uncontrolled behavior of the bike, or unavoidable obstacles!
2: Illegally surpassing another vehicle (lane sharing) when the vehicle is changing course. A lot of Russian and Eastern European videos seem to indicate bad roads and understanding of driving. Cars make turns at intersections, while others are overtaking them from all sides. A large portion of traffic accidents on youtube comes from Russia.
3: Having too few brain cells. Yes, riding a bike always has been about safety, and riding on 2 wheels. Entire episodes are dedicated to the few who failed to understand this. This includes stunting, and riding on public roads like on the tracks, without safety gear.

• Premium Member
Some of the ones I've seen where a rider runs too wide in a turn and then they crash is because they do not use proper counter steering techniques. For example going around a right hand corner and they run wide, the rider panics and turns the bars to the right causing the bike to stand up and push it farther into the oncoming lane, where they should have actually turned the bars to the left to lean the bike into the corner. 

If you slow the video down at 2min 40 secs, you will see that when he sees the fire truck he turns the bars to the right standing the bike up and causing him to collide with the truck. He should have counter steered to the left and that would have caused the bike to lean right avoiding the accident.

Not to mention over running a blind corner like an idiot. He definitely panic wobbles. Another 1' more to the left and they wouldve been picking his brains out of the radiator. What were the odds of a fire crew no less?  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

It appears in that video, that he stepped on the rear brake a little too hard, and the rear wheel lost grip for a second. He's just trying to counterbalance, to keep the bike from falling over; while doing so, getting closer to the truck.
By the time the wheel grips, he no longer has time to respond to the situation.
The correct course of action would have indeed been, to countersteer, and turn sharp right, but he did not have that option as the rear wheel had no grip.

at least, that's what I think happened...

• 3 weeks later...

It appears in that video, that he stepped on the rear brake a little too hard, and the rear wheel lost grip for a second. He's just trying to counterbalance, to keep the bike from falling over; while doing so, getting closer to the truck.
By the time the wheel grips, he no longer has time to respond to the situation.
The correct course of action would have indeed been, to countersteer, and turn sharp right, but he did not have that option as the rear wheel had no grip.

at least, that's what I think happened...
Yep I agree with that also. His first instinct was slow down. Got on the brakes and the rest is history when the throttle and counter steering actually would have been the better solution. 

I watch these compilation videos and the one above. The number one reason for crashes (imho) is race track mentality on public roads. Most of the time a rider miss judges a corner and dumps the bike or target fixates. Sometimes they could lean more and perhaps squeak through the corner without washing out, but most riders reflex to too much speed is brakes, when it should be more lean/countersteer. For a rider like myself where we don't have track access and no country roads to practice greater lean angles, it can be tough to trust letting the bike go that far over. I have had a few "uh-oh" moments, but each time countersteered to correct.

Archived