The MT-07 Forum

Best FZ-07 tires?

groobie85

I get the feeling the thread title should be "Your Favorite Tire" because according to everyone theirs is THE BEST. Just saying because these threads always go this way. Oil threads seem to be the worst when it comes to THE BEST oil. 

• Like 1

Beemer

FZ07R WaNaB
6 minutes ago, Beemer said:

I get the feeling the thread title should be "Your Favorite Tire" because according to everyone theirs is THE BEST. Just saying because these threads always go this way. Oil threads seem to be the worst when it comes to THE BEST oil.

Well... it's funny you say that because my tires are definitely not THE BEST (PR4), but my oil definitely is THE BEST (Castrol ActEvo) 😁

12 minutes ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Well... it's funny you say that because my tires are definitely not THE BEST (PR4), but my oil definitely is THE BEST (Castrol ActEvo) 😁

Ha! Hmmmm, Castrol ActEvo. Now are we talking what 'you consider' to be the best or what has been 'proven', without a doubt, to be the best? Careful, we don't want this to turn into a BEST OIL thread all over again, lol! 😉

Beemer

FZ07R WaNaB
1 minute ago, Beemer said:

Now are we talking what 'you consider' to be the best or what has been 'proven', without a doubt, to be the best?

Is there a difference? 😆

2 minutes ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Is there a difference? 😆

lol! Funny! Maybe you should change your name to "Bill Nye the Oil Guy" you would get sooo many followers/worshipper's. 👨‍🔬 

• Haha 1

Beemer

11 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Between the FZ/MT/Tracer -07/09 platforms- the Pilot Roads seem to be majority choice, the Q3s are also a decent choice... Pireli GT seems to be long life tire...

So I guess no one has tried the Metzler ?

• 2 weeks later...
Wintersdark

I've been so happy with my PR4's.  They feel tight and planted all the time, they're amazing in poor conditions (rode with them down to -15c through the winter), and 12000km on them since last May and still lots of room to go.  I'll replace them, when I do, with a set of PR5's or more PR4's.  That's about as adventurous as I want to go.

I've run Dunlop's, Avon's, and Bridgestones on other bikes, but I'm MUCH happier with these Michelin Pilot Roads than I have been with anything else.

• 1 year later...

Recently found a screw in my rear tire (pilot road 3). Can't seem to find that particular tire in stock anywhere though. Would it be ok to have mixed brand tires on (thinking of getting the Pirelli Angel gt) or should I stick with pilot roads if purchasing only the rear?

2 hours ago, Curious kid said:

Recently found a screw in my rear tire (pilot road 3). Can't seem to find that particular tire in stock anywhere though. Would it be ok to have mixed brand tires on (thinking of getting the Pirelli Angel gt) or should I stick with pilot roads if purchasing only the rear?

You’d be better off getting a pilot road 4 or 5. Similar profile to yours and grip characteristics.

You should be still able to find a 4 for a good price.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
bartman5impson
5 hours ago, Skydex said:

What tire pressures people are running on Michelin Pilot Power 3? 

I run 33 psi front, 36 rear on all tires as the manual says. Start there and adjust later if you want different grip/handling characteristics .

• 3 months later...

Tires... I've got 10K on the OEM  Battle Max. This being the first light weight bike I've owned I have no personal experience with tires. My baggers I've always just put the Dunlops on them as thats what they came with. I've gotten over 20K miles out of a rear tire on a 850 lb Harley bagger the secret is correct air pressure. Once a month I check them and bring it back to recommended psi. 

• 8 months later...

Hello guys. I am almost wearing out my rear tire and here are my experiences with the tire set I have.

I have in the rear and front tire a Bridgestone BT-016 hypersport-pro. Is the set the motorcycle has when I bought it last year and they were kind of new. I am using 36 and 33 PSI in the rear and front respectively. I am 200 pounds, I ride daily to my work, eventually a ride during the week and absolutely I ride the weekend. My ride style is relaxed but as always, I speed up fast if there is no traffic. On countries side roads, I ride a bit more aggressively. Here in Montreal, there are not twisty roads close to the city, you have to go at least 60 Km to have something different from boring straight roads. Or at least that I know because I am new in the city.

I have ridden whit these tires for around 7000km, the front one is half-life or more, and the rear one is wearing around 70 to 80 % tread. I really like the tires, they have an excellent grip (dry or wet) during warm weather. During the cold time, around 0 Celsius (32 Fahrenheit) the grip decreases a bit, and around -10 Celsius (14 Fahrenheit) forget it, the grip is terrible and the tire does not get more grip while riding. I think the rear tire should be a bit more hard in the middle to extend the life span. However, is a trade-off between life span or grip, but still, I think is a great option and not expensive. I am leaving the tires photos.

I will change the rear tire soon and think I will take the Pilot road 5. 

Have a great ride.

front.png

rear.png

rear zoom.png

Edited by Hamlet
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

My tires suck, except for most of the rest. Dunlop Q3+

• Global Moderator

I have the Road 5, which I have been very happy with.  I see the Road 6 is out now so I will most likely go with that when I need to replace mine. 

On 5/7/2022 at 2:48 AM, mjh937 said:

I have the Road 5, which I have been very happy with.  I see the Road 6 is out now so I will most likely go with that when I need to replace mine. 

How many Km do you have on the tires? what tires have you tried before to compare with your current Road 5.

Anyone else that can share how many km last the Road 5 in your motorcycles. Thanks. 

• Global Moderator
Just now, Hamlet said:

How many Km do you have on the tires? what tires have you tried before to compare with your current Road 5.

Anyone else that can share how many km last the Road 5 in your motorcycles. Thanks. 

I probably have about 3,000 miles on the Road 5’s and they look almost new (I am not home right now so I cannot look at my records to get an exact mileage).  I had the stock Bridgestones before and they were fine, but I like the way the Michelins feel a bit more.  Mileage on the Bridgestones was very good.  I can update with what it was when I am home and can check. 

• 1 month later...

Hello guys. This week I will change my rear tire and I will change my BT-016 hypersport-pro, for a sport-turing tire. I have two options but I have not take a final decision. I would like your opinion guys about this two options. 

Bridgestone T-32, it cost 185 CAD

Micheline pilot road 6, it cost 260 CAD

The price difference is tempting, but I am not sure whether the difference of tires is that much that deserves to invest 80 cad more for the pilot 6.

Thanks guys for the opinion and have a nice ride. 

glacierblue

I just put road 6s on mine and so far I love them! definitely would recommend. haven't put many miles on them yet but what I have ridden has been awesome!

• Global Moderator
Just now, 00RAH said:

Bridgestones 38 psi front 40 rear ❤🇯🇵

That pressure it quite a bit higher than Yamaha recommends.  Why are you running those pressures and how does it effect the handling?

@mjh937 through experimenting with tyre pressures ive concluded that higher pressures ensure maximum tyre longevity. not really sure how it effects handling but the bike remains light and flickable. id like to add i ride only on the street, i weigh 140lbs and my shock preload is set at 0 or 1. ps. also less likely to pick up nails or other sharp objects :P

Edited by 00RAH
  • Like 1

I'm running Michelin PR4s, and weigh too damn much. I am running 36F and 39R which make the bike handle much better than the recommended pressures. Matter of fact, I never understood what was so great about those tires at the stock pressures, but sure do now. Weight definitely makes a difference.