The MT-07 Forum

Best FZ-07 tires?

groobie85

I have a slow leak in my front tire and upon inspection noticed some dry rotting on both tires. I want to replace them immediately. not trying to start a big debate...but wondering what you guys like for street tires on the Fz-07. Mines a 2015 if it matters. Not too concerned with life span would prefer to have really good grip!

thanks,
Sean

• Premium Member
botticelli

If you don't care about life and want the most grip, Dunlop Q3's 7 days a week and twice on Sunday!

I have cooked through 2 sets of Pilot road 3's that come on the bike, getting 12k out of each set and they are fantastic! I think the road3's are better than the road 4's. The pilot powers IMO are not worth the extra $ over the pilot roads for a very marginal grim increase.

So all that said here are my tire recco for the bike.

Track - slicks or Q3's
Street aggressive & canyons & spirited riding - Dunlop Q3's
Street day to day with an occasional canyon run - Pirelli Angel GT
Commuting - every day bike - Pilot Road 3's

• Like 1

'16 FZ07

Note that grippy tyres usually do not grip well before they get hot. While a tyre like the PR3 or Angel GT will have plenty grip when cold, or even on cold and wet days, a Q3 can skate around when cold and will have much less grip than the aforementioned items on chilly days and in the wet. In fact, the Bridgestone BT016 had far less grip than the homely BT45 when temps began to close in on freezing because it was impossible to get any heat into the sportier tyre.

Regarding the PR3 - yes, they do seem to last like iron. They also on some surfaces ride like iron. It will be very interesting when riding tomorrow after the suspension upgrades to see if it i the tyres or the suspension that's the culprit, but they do not feel as supple as Pirelli Strada, for instance.

[div]My bike came with the Battlax BT023's and after reading the specs on the Battlax Hypersport S21's I went ahead and bought them. I don't race my bike nor do I ride it fast in turns (usually) but I can tell the few times that I did want to see how they performed that they gripped real well. faffi talked about temperatures and grip and here's what Bridgestone had to say about that with their S21's.

Features:

Dry grip and wear life significantly improved without sacrificing wet performance.

Dual compound front tire (3LC) with revised profile generates higher grip at lower lean angles

Triple compound rear tire (5LC) with revised profile provides improved stability and durability

3D cross grooves designed to optimize rigidity and improve contact with the road.

New enhanced Micro-contact-patch compound (EMC) technology used for both front and rear shoulder compounds.

EMC increases grip potential and improves thermal stability to make sure the tire performance remains consistent as temps go up.

(W) - rated for speeds up to 168+ MPH

Not saying it's the best tire, who can unless they've tried them all but I think it's safe to say it's a worthy tire. It got a lot of good reviews and the one thing about it I like the most is it's nicely rounded. It doesn't feel like it's falling over when you lean it. It's a smooth, stable transition that doesn't make you flinch. Feels much safer than the old tire. GL with whatever you choose and stay frosty!
[/div]

• Like 2

Beemer

Guest 2wheeler

I'm going to need a set of tires before the end of the summer.

I didn't realize that both the Michelin PR3 and PR4 are available. I thought the PR3s were gone. Having said that, most everyone says the PR4s are much better than the PR3s. After riding pattonme's bike with the Michelins, I have been leaning toward the Michelins as they were much better than my Battlaxs. Thing is that his bike has the PR3s, so there is the question between the 3s and 4s.

Anyone who has had the PR3 and PR4 on the same bike, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Then there is the Pirelli Angel GT which gets a lot of good reviews too. Anyone have the Pirelli's on their FZ?

I'm a fair weather rider who occasionally does long trips. I'm not a super agressive sport rider nor do I do track day, but Lildrumr commented that my chicken strips were pretty small so I do like to corner a bit.

I didn't realize that both the Michelin PR3 and PR4 are available. I thought the PR3s were gone. Having said that, most everyone says the PR4s are much better than the PR3s. After riding pattonme's bike with the Michelins, I have been leaning toward the Michelins as they were much better than my Battlaxs. Thing is that his bike has the PR3s, so there is the question between the 3s and 4s.

Anyone who has had the PR3 and PR4 on the same bike, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Then there is the Pirelli Angel GT which gets a lot of good reviews too. Anyone have the Pirelli's on their FZ?

I'm a fair weather rider who occasionally does long trips. I'm not a super agressive sport rider nor do I do track day, but Lildrumr commented that my chicken strips were pretty small so I do like to corner a bit.

Just curious, which Battlax's did you have? 

Beemer

• Premium Member

I've been using Pilot Powers on both my bikes ( for when I want to hit the track)  ..... But you get a tire that you feel suits your needs cant have your cake and eat it too in most cases when it comes to tires.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Guest 2wheeler

The stock ones - 023

They are OK and I haven't had any problems with them. As they say, ignorance is bliss, and what I mean is that after riding a FZ-07 with the PR3s, I was speechless at how much better that they rode and felt than the 023s. They gave a smoother ride and handled much better with the turning having a more precise feel to it.

I have run PR3s and PR4s on my former bike, 2012 BMW R1200RT.  Hands down, they were the most balanced tire I have ever experienced.  Sure, Michelin is a bit more expensive than a lot of their competition but in my experience that is for good reason.  By balanced I mean they offer impressive dry and wet weather performance and offer some of the best durability I have experienced.  Although I was reluctant to switch from the 3s to the 4s I was happy I did, they weren't tremendously better IMO but they did appear to wear better e.g. less scalloping/feathering and a more consistent ride as the mileage increased.  Tires were very confidence inspiring. 
When the stock tires on my 07 are done I plan on replacing with some variety of Michelin, have to see what's offered when that time comes.  

I also highly recommend a product called Ride-on.  If you haven't heard of it, do a search and read the product info - interesting product videos as well.  Fortunately I haven't had to test the puncture protection but I can confirm the products use for dynamic balancing, eliminating the need for wheel weights.  With this product, it's like riding on glass when new tires are fitted...quite amazing.

I have been running Q3's since new tires were toast , 2 sets so far and I really like the grip and stability of them. I'm getting 2 rear tires per 1 front tire. If you want grip it's the way to go. They do fine in the wet too.

The stock ones - 023 
They are OK and I haven't had any problems with them. As they say, ignorance is bliss, and what I mean is that after riding a FZ-07 with the PR3s, I was speechless at how much better that they rode and felt than the 023s. They gave a smoother ride and handled much better with the turning having a more precise feel to it.

I had this same experience...I put a set of Battlax 023 on mine and wish I would have gone a different route. Mine came with the Michelins but after I was involved in an accident, Insurance put a different tire on so I swapped to the Battlax. I ended up doing a little more commuting over a few months period and ruined them with a flatspot after only 3,000 miles or so. 
I just had ACL surgery so I'm out of riding for a few months, but I will be putting a set of the PR4s on before I get back on the saddle!

2015 Yamaha FZ07 - Woodcraft clip-ons w/ bar end sliders, Yoshimura Exhaust, Graves Fender Eliminator, Cyclops LED Headlight, Motodynamic integrated tail light, Carbon Fiber Heel Guards, Bridgestone Battlax BT003 tires, Forks by Matt, PSR shorty levers, OES Frame & Axle sliders.

2014 Lexus IS350

Guest 2wheeler
 I ended up doing a little more commuting over a few months period and ruined them with a flatspot after only 3,000 miles or so. 

Funny you mention that as I have about 6500 miles on my Battlax's, and they have had a flat spot for awhile. It's bad enough now that you can feel it go off the edge of the flat spot. 2000 miles were highway/trip miles which I am sure contributed to that, but the rest were more back roads with a fair amount of turns.

Maybe the Battlax 023's are known for easy flat spotting.

• Global Moderator

I have over 10,000 miles on my Bridgestones and they have a very slight flat spot on the rear. I should easily get through the summer on them. I am planning PR4's next as I have heard a lot of good things about them.

• Like 2

2wheeler - I agree, that's why I got the Battlax S21's. The 023's are not Bridgestone's top of the line tire and Bridgestone tires shouldn't be judged solely on them. Not that you do that but I've noticed that some others do.

Beemer

• 1 year later...

Every new bike I've ever bought here in Florida came with Bridgestone BattlAx tires.

BRIDGESTONE SUCK. They get hard in the centers after like 1,500-2,000 miles. Like sand paper slick. Plenty of tread, but useless. 

I've always replaced stock with Pirelli Angel ST/GT. 9-10k miles consistent. My old bike I found a match set of Continental Road Attack 3/Classic Attack 3. I have to say. Nice tires. 

Anyone here every go with a narrower set of tires yet? I plan to try 100-110 up front,  160-170 in back.  Thinner rear tire turns the bike over faster. Same for the front, but you feel it in the back.  I'm just wondering if 160 in back will fit the rim ok.  I figure 110 up front. If the wheel diameter is much different in the rear it'll amount to the revs going up about 500rpm in all gears. (trust me, I know about varying tire height) 

The 180 rear does, on this bike, make for a nice, planted feel to the rear end but it's sluggish to lean over. 

• Premium Member

I got 9,500 miles out of the original PR3's , rear was toast and I bought the bike used at 2,130 miles. It seemed the rear had seen some burnouts, anyway I bought pirelli angel ST front/rear replacements, lots of grip, very reassuring to me. I run mostly twisty roads and had a few highway runs 200 +miles. I have 4,000+ miles on them now. The front has barely wore, the back isn't even close to TWI in the centre. It's your choice, and it depends on what riding your going to do, commuting,hoonin,rippin, touring, I was going to buy the Michelin R5's but I don't ride much in the rain and if I do the sipes on the ST's are pretty well designed to get water out of the contact patch even leaned over.

• Like 1

I live in Florida. Run everyday to and from work, rain or shine. In a torrential downpour I'm doing  70mph on the highway with no hydroplaning on Pirelli ST/GT. Pilot Roads don't have wide or deep tread channels at all. The Continental Road Attacks I have on my 1986 SRX600 are also a tire I would recommend mileage, rain, grip, etc. Usually, in the past, friends have steered me away from anything Continental, but I have to say I like them. 

Mileage on tires vary so much with different riders, road conditions, etc. My local roads are coarse eat up any tires. My stock BT023's were gone in 4k miles. Tried a set of Conti Motions that evaporated in under 2k ( shet tires, but stick to pavement like fly paper- good cheap rubber to abuse). Currently have a PP3 up front and a Shinko 009 out back. Roughly 3k miles on them. PP3 still looks new and is a marvelous tire. Endless grip. Honestly, that the feels so planted it's scary- I find myself being completely reckless and not even planning ahead for anything. 009 out back had just started showing wear. Slow to warm up, so I run a few lbs less air pressure to heat it up quicker. Grips very well when warm, but does not like sudden throttle changes or downshifts. Be smooth with the bike and the grip is great. Be sloppy and the tire will warn you to cut it out. 009 is smoothest rolling tire I've ever ridden. Big fan of my current combo. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Does anyone know if they make a 50/50 on/off road tire that fits?

I've already been doing some light trail riding and its about time to change out the stock tires...soooo

I figured I would try something different. any suggestions would be great... 

B

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, scat2me said:

no one ???

Between the FZ/MT/Tracer -07/09 platforms- the Pilot Roads seem to be majority choice, the Q3s are also a decent choice... Pireli GT seems to be long life tire...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW