The MT-07 Forum

3rd and 6th gear issues?

jgtc15

Bike has something like 80 miles...

Trying to upshift into 3rd at 4k+rpms literally locks me out, have to drop down to around 2k then it will go, same with 6th.

Anyone experience this??

Does it randomly...comes and goes

Sucks this is my first post too lol will make intro thread

• Global Moderator

Welcome @jgtc15, glad you could join.

That's not normal. Your bike should shift effortlessly. Mine sometimes needs a little wiggle when I am almost at a standstill and have to shift down a couple of times but never with upshifting.
I guess it could be two things, your bike or your shifting technique. Because your bike is new, I would just visit the dealer and have them take a look. You could have someone else (the mechanic) try it and see if they have the same problem. If so, they will have to adjust the linkage or something. If they can't replicate the problem, you might want to take a look at your foot position, the boots you wear, things like that.
Are you an experienced rider or is this your first bike?

You have to let the gearshifter to return to it's middle position after a shift. Otherwise it won't allow an upshift.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

My pops was the one who found out about this issue, and he is an experienced rider, also has a ZX10R, so looks like we'll be taking it in soon to the dealer

My pops was the one who found out about this issue, and he is an experienced rider, also has a ZX10R, so looks like we'll be taking it in soon to the dealer
You said that it won't allow YOU to upshift...not Pops. So who has the problem shifting? You or Pops?  

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

• Global Moderator

Mine shifts fine. If you have the same problem with two different riders and always between the same gears then I think a trip back to the dealer is in order. Please keep us posted as to what happens.

Just tried it when he got home...
Same issue

Have no idea what it could be...checked clutch adjustment-fine

Just hope bike isn't sitting there forever, since it is brand new, wonder if there are parts for them already?

• Global Moderator

If both of you have the same problem, I would just drop the bike off at he dealer and have them figure it out. You have warranty after all.
Let us know what they did to it to make it right.

Guru you are genius...
twas the boots we was wearing, they're extremely thick and affected the way we shifted.
Kudos to you, riding in a pair of Adidas bike shifter effortlessly lol, need to get smaller boots i guess

Any boots you guys recommend?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome jgtc15! I'm glad you figured out the problem and it will be an easy fix. The shift lever can also be raised a little, so you can get your boot under it. Check it out here.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Raise the shifter as HBC suggested. My everyday riding boots were fine but I was having trouble in my over the shin boots. I moved the shifter up a little and it made all the difference in the world. What was happening is my foot was putting slight upwards pressure on the shifter without me realizing it. I would then have to step back down on it, then lift up to get it to shift properly.

Archived