The MT-07 Forum

A bit overwhelmed. Some advice?

TennesseeCrusin

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
...I was under the impression the fz was a touring bike, but it is quite a bit more powerful and sporty than I expected, or intended. ...
If you want to limit the horsepower of the bike for a few months you can get one of these. They limit how much you can open the throttle to about 1/2 of it's normal travel. The FZ-07 was my first motorcycle and I used one of these to limit the throttle while I was getting used to riding a motorcycle.

It also doesn't hurt to invest n a good set of frame sliders (OES Accessories has a good kit that includes frame and Axle sliders).

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

This might be a silly question. I see everyone say lean harder into corners, if going to fast. Just so I know I'm understanding, I do lean towards the inside of the corner, correct? The side I'm turning?
Lean the bike to the inside.  You might want to counterweight your body the other way..

This might be a silly question. I see everyone say lean harder into corners, if going to fast. Just so I know I'm understanding, I do lean towards the inside of the corner, correct? The side I'm turning?

Man, please go take a riding class somewhere asap. I'm worried for your safety and I dont even know you.

• Premium Member
Lean the bike to the inside.  You might want to counterweight your body the other way..
What ? ! ?  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
No disrespect to member's info offered as there's some good advice here, but do yourself a favour and just go take a MSC course man....asap. Read some of the riding guides as well: "Proficient Motorcycling" and "Twist of the wrist" etc etc etc. Invaluable.

This is how taking a proper corner is done btw.

[attachment id=2513" thumbnail="1]

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
What ? ! ?

Counterweight at slow speeds but not at fast speeds.

• Premium Member
Been thinking on this. Have you taken a MSF course or an equivalent skills class? I am not 100% sold on MSF and dropped out of the rider coach training for reasons I will keep silent on. However riding is a skill I hear tail gating speed and practice what I do not hear is situational awareness and hyper scanning your bubble. Here is what I mean 
Situational awareness is making damn sure you have an exit point at any given time. You are constantly scanning side rear front for cars, on ramps off ramps etc. There are far to many scenarios to address here. Hyper Scanning is just that and it works with situation awareness and exit strategies. You are constantly scanning evaluating and determining your way out, this means you keep a bubble you are comfortable with. That bubble is simply an area that you assess for safe riding in certain conditions. As an example keeping at min 3 car lengths in front 3 in back and being able to see the drivers face in a mirror or side by side or you just in front out of the blind spot of a car. If I cannot make this happen I do the getty-up-go throttle response technique meaning I get the hell out of that situation as safely as possible. Lane position is another lesson but for simplicity Far left lane you ride the Right side (This allows Cars to See you in Side View Mirrors) Center you choice right or left Just be very aware of off on ramps and idiots passing in and out behind you (It all becomes natural at some point) right lane you ride the left side and are UBER, UBER mindful of you surroundings, as dip shet for brains wanker ass cagers IQ drop out of there butts when on ramp off ramp panic occurs.

Long Story Shortened, Situational Awareness + Scanning * Bubble = Good ride But never underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot always assume they dont see you as it is said Ride Like you are invisable
Nicely put. This is how I try to ride at all times. 

• Premium Member
What ? ! ?
Counterweight at slow speeds but not at fast speeds.
Ahh I see. I've taken the course but still have a ton to learn about such subtleties.  

• 2 months later...
benechaotica

As a new rider myself still waiting to take the MSF course, I'd recommend getting into some kind of safety course. For me personally, I haven't had a vehicle in several years now because driving a car got to the point where it started making me paranoid. Weirdly, that's why I'm getting a bike; The huge level of feedback, tactile, aural, visual, makes me feel a lot more comfortable. That said, even just getting on my dad's FJR1300 to ride around the parking lot and get some small idea for street riding made me nervous, albeit not in the same way as driving a car makes me paranoid. I know I've got a whole new skill-set to learn, and the great thing about -any- safety course is, even if they don't teach you certain really high-end skills, like tail braking as was brought up earlier, they make you a lot more aware of the skills you should be learning down the road after you've gotten more experience. That said, and my Dad tells me this over and over, there's no substitute for experience. Learn the safety skills, then get out there and ride. Yes, things will go wrong. But a safety course will prepare you much better for when that happens, and then that experience will inform your riding for years to come.

Archived