The MT-07 Forum

A bit overwhelmed. Some advice?

TennesseeCrusin

TennesseeCrusin

To start off, I started riding a year ago, on a suzuki s40. I traded up to the fz 07 yesterday. I definitely still consider myself a beginner.

It was a pretty impulsive buy, so I didn't spend a lot of time researching. I saw it thought it was pretty, I was comfortable on it and  i liked the balance of the bike, so I moved forward with the sale. I was under the impression the fz was a touring bike, but it is quite a bit more powerful and sporty than I expected, or intended. 

I really just like to relax and cruise along. I'm not into the stunts and the high speeds. I know it's probably a silly concern, but are there people with sportbikes (more specifically the fz) that ride more laid back, that aren't into popping wheelies and hitting speeds well over 100. I haven't met a person yet, who rides a sportbike, and not talk about high speeds or popping wheelies down the interstate.

I love the way the bike handles, and I think it's rather comfortable. I don't mind the torque, though I am still getting used to it. I do in fact feel safer on this bike, than the s40, as well.

Also, What are some helpful hints or resources you can point me to, that will help me improve my riding skill and help give me more confidence. I love riding, but I also love being alive and physically and mentally sound, so I want to learn as much as I can to help me stay that way.

18716498_10155318398594948_275483532_n.jpg

• Premium Member

There are any number of excellent online resources. One of which can be found in this thread. Watching the videos and taking the time to practice what he shows you will teach you a lot. I'm sure others will also offer good suggestions. I commend you wanting to learn to be a better rider. Best of luck to you. :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

There are some of us that are not stunting or doing wheelies (well not on purpose at least).

Some good books are Total Control by Lee Parks, Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough or Twist of the Wrist 2 by Keith Code. The last one is also available as a video.   Here is a link to it.  I did not watch this version but just did a google search, so I hope it is okay.  

Wishes to the FZ-07 club.  

• Premium Member

The FZ was my first bike and, at first, I was completely intimidated It. Anyways, I'm not crazy about top speed and still haven't accidentally (or even purposefully) wheelied and I've gotten used to the power of the bike. It's actually a really good bike for cruising too. If you can ride it calmly for now then give yourself a month and I bet your opinion will change.

• Premium Member

I spy a FJ-09 in the background ?... I own both the FZ-07 and FJ-09... Together they fill my motorcycle needs... Some of my best advice is dont let traffic push you past your comfort zone and learn/experience as much you want for riding rather you spend time riding a dirt bike or taking track classes at the local track, they all provide many diffrent ways to ride a bike or experience diffrent bike behaviors...for example in dirt biking both front and/or rear tire can both break loose for a split sec which feels very natural to me now compared to the first few times it happened it scared me and outta reaction I abruptly closed throttle which made it worse by gaining traction and tossing me off, now I just keep the throttle steady and ride it out...Even the difftent ways one can manipulate the controls, I prefer to use rear brake over front brake going into corners, some ppl will never touch the rear brake..

Edit: Im even taking my very first track class next friday because I wanted to learn more ways to ride my motorcycle or correct some bad habits I may have...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

[div]I think everyone coming from a dirt bike back ground would agree with norcal616 or at least would say learning some skills in the dirt can't hurt. The biggest problem, IMO, I would like to point out is there are so many people that get new street bikes as their first bike and they never are taught how to power slide and when it happens they freak & freeze. They get out there on pavement and low or high side because no MSF course will purposely make you put your bike into a power slide (rear tire breaks loose under power) and then control it with the throttle until it rights itself.

A good dirt bike school will teach you this so that when it happens without warning on dirt or pavement you keep a cool head and do what you've been trained to do.

http://www.dirtbikeschool.org/
[/div]

Beemer

My first bike was a Yamaha R3 that I bought about a month ago. I had it for two weeks before I bought the FZ07. I'm definitely not popping wheelies and mostly cruising around. I still spend most of my time riding trying to make sure I'm picking the right line through curves and making sure I'm countersteering correctly. Lately I've been trying to shift my weight a little more while countersteering by pushing on the foot pegs and pushing with my thighs.

Someone on the R3 forums suggested this book

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1893618072/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it's been a great read. I usually read one chapter and then try to work on that a little on the next ride out. It's not available as an e-book, but I think it was worth the purchase.

lstroud91:

First off, welcome to the forum!

Second, yes, there's at least one other person here who prefers safe and sane riding. That said, having the option of squirting out of a bad situation is a major safety plus of the FZ-07.

Enjoy!

My first bike was a Suzuki savage (old s40). Glad it was slow as my 19 year old self was an idiot lol

My biggest advice is now that you have a bike that handles it is all about "where you are looking".

If you are in a turn, do not look down at the turn, you will crash. Look where you want to go and your body will follow.

That took me a long time to understand and apply.

Hope that helps!

• Global Moderator

I agree that the "look where you want to go" thing take some time to master, especially at low speeds, but it definitely does work. Eventually it becomes second nature, but I still often have to think about it when manoeuvring in parking lots. For some reason I want to look at the pavement ahead of me when I am going less then about 5 mph.

Seat time. You can do this in an empty parking lot just getting to know the your limitations the bikes limitations. Figure 8s, low speed turn, body position all can be learned. Books are great but seat time is the pay off. Go to track days and watch the fast guys, watch everything, foot position, seating, lean and body language.  Some tips

NEVER look at your front wheel, its already there and it gives you the sense of going faster than you think you are.  Look past the turn you are in to the next always focus on the next apex NEVER FIXATE that's what you will hit.  While practicing figure 8s lean the bike as far over as you are comfortable with and keep your body as vertical as possible.

For me what I always suggest is to get a beat bike for dirt and learn to run mud slow and rain.  All of that translates into street ability with greater confidence.

Last to go fast, learn to go slow :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Welcome!
I have had my FZ-07 for over 2 years now. I can tell you the amount of times the front wheel has left the ground intentionally. 0. Although I have pulled it up on accident a few times. It doesn't matter what bike I am on, I don't ever wheelie, i'm not comfortable with doing it, so i don't. Never let someone try to talk you into anything you're not comfortable doing.
When it comes to high speeds, I admittedly have had the bike maxed out at 130+ or so, but I rarely speed on it otherwise.

I learned to ride on a dirt bike and agree with the others that I'm glad that is how I learned to control a bike. When you go off-roading on a bike it's almost inevitable you will wreck sometime and controlling a bike in the mud makes you learn fast. When I transitioned to the on road bike I was pleasantly surprised how well a bike on pavement handles. The rest I just learned by practice. Took turns slow at first then gradually built up lean and speed to where I was comfortable. Had a few 'oh sh[HASH]t" moments going into turns too fast, but that is all part of the experience, right?? ;)

Good luck and be safe!

2015 Yamaha FZ07 - Woodcraft clip-ons w/ bar end sliders, Yoshimura Exhaust, Graves Fender Eliminator, Cyclops LED Headlight, Motodynamic integrated tail light, Carbon Fiber Heel Guards, Bridgestone Battlax BT003 tires, Forks by Matt, PSR shorty levers, OES Frame & Axle sliders.

2014 Lexus IS350

I too like to keep both wheels on the ground :)
The FZ/MT 07 is considered a good first bike because it's rather light and easy to manouver. However tha engine is'nt very forgiving to unintended input like an inline four of similar size. Takes som getting used to and you're wise to be cautious.

Me too, I don't ride like they often do in the Youtube vids. Maybe it's because I'm middle-aged and European, but if you just learn to control your impulses and not go beyond your comfort level, the bike will behave as expected and not cheat on you. Also, don't ride in groups. There is a tendency of trying to follow the lead riders, who are always more experienced. If you can find a group where lead riders are happy to lead from the rear, you're good.

Me too, I don't ride like they often do in the Youtube vids. Maybe it's because I'm middle-aged and European, but if you just learn to control your impulses and not go beyond your comfort level, the bike will behave as expected and not cheat on you. Also, don't ride in groups. There is a tendency of trying to follow the lead riders, who are always more experienced. If you can find a group where lead riders are happy to lead from the rear, you're good.
I've found a good group just like that here.  We just did a ~200 mile ride today with a some decent twisties.  The leader kept it nice in slow and had me in position 3 with more experienced riders behind me.  I had a great time and never felt like I was pressured to ride outside of my comfort zone.

Many good advices given here.

I have been riding on the streets since 1980. My speed rarely exceed 60 mph on the MT-07, or FZ-07 as it is called overseas. I'm no hooligan, but I enjoy the instant power that allows me to pass traffic without having to downshift to find power. I like the riding position of the bike, its low weight and its nimbleness. The brakes are also fantastic for someone like me who happen to be a bit ham-fisted.

If you want to stay as safe as possible on the road, the most important thing above everything else is riding well within your limits. It is actually the least skilled riders that have the lowest amount of accidents, provided they are aware of their limitations and ride accordingly.

Now, you can up your chances by continuing to ride carefully while adding skill. It is best to get tutorial from a skilled instructor who is good at transferring his or her skills to you. However, you can go far simply by reading Twist of the Wrist II, watch a few videos on youtube and practice on a deserted parking lot or similar. Practice maximum braking, gently inching towards the limit. Practice counter-steering. Practice where you look. And in traffic, continue to scan the road and those around you and be aware of how you position yourself. Try not to tailgate - what if the car in front jam on the brakes? Try not to sit behind vehicles large enough to obscure your visibility far forward. Try to look well ahead while remaining focused on the vehicles around you. Never ride faster than you can stop within the road you can see to be clear.

Having suffered multiple accidents, more than 50 broken bones plus various external and internal soft tissue damage, I wish I had listened more to my own advice from time to time :D These days, I no longer take stupid risks, but all my years pushing the limits have left me with a rather decent size tool bag I can use to ride with a decent pace over winding roads without taking silly risks.

• Global Moderator

Definitely do not tailgate, even if you have fantastic reflexes. I am more concerned about a hazard that I cannot see coming (a large pothole, rock, piece of metal, etc.) than the car braking suddenly.

TennesseeCrusin

Thanks for all the replies! After having her for a week, I'm much more comfortable. I signed up for a intermediate MSF, because I've never taken one. I think that's the deal, I feel pressured to ride out of my comfort zone, but I've been working on ignoring that and staying in my comfort zone, unless it's a situation I need to get out of, in which I gas it a little and get the hell out of there. I have a Puig on the way for interstate purposes. Soonish, I'm considering riding my bike 350 miles up to ohio (from knoxville). This has become one of the best purchases I have ever made!

Since seats are so pricey, I'm just going to make do. But I am looking to buy a bag of some sort and a throttle lock. EVENTUALLY I would LOVE to get a slip on exhaust and a new seat.

18767437_10155329892314948_5869779699656745582_n.jpg

high res image hosting

Guest 2wheeler
 What are some helpful hints or resources you can point me to, that will help me improve my riding skill and help give me more confidence. I love riding, but I also love being alive and physically and mentally sound, so I want to learn as much as I can to help me stay that way. 

Welcome to the world of the FZ07 forum, and congrats on your bike - great choice, but then I am a bit biased :D

My single biggest advice for you is to send your ECU off to 2WDW for a flash. You can read plenty about that in the forum, but why I mention that to you is that by getting a flash, you will be removing the bike as a variable in your learning process to a big degree. The flash will smooth out the powerband (no more abrupt and surprising power hits) while dramatically reducing the engine braking. Plus it will give you a couple of ponies.

The FZ becomes a much more civilized bike to ride with no surprises, all the while still being a torque monster that is so fun to ride it's silly. This way you can concentrate more on honing your bike handling skills

The good news is that you can send it in now, and if you decide to get a pipe down the road, you can get it reflashed for just the cost of the shipping.

Enjoy and ride safe!

I'm not much for wheelies as my last bike was an sv1000 naked and all it did was bring up the front after i changed the sprocket gearing. 

On public roads wheelies don't impress me; not dying does. 

My second bike was a ninja 500 and there was a guy at my college with a zx12...awesome bike. We left class the same time at noon on a very busy intersection. West Palm Beach florida so every street is packed at all times. He immediately blew by me, even looked over to smirk. What he didn't see was the van pull out in front of him and he almost ate it. He panicked and slid all over as I rode by safe and sound...

Been thinking on this. Have you taken a MSF course or an equivalent skills class? I am not 100% sold on MSF and dropped out of the rider coach training for reasons I will keep silent on. However riding is a skill I hear tail gating speed and practice what I do not hear is situational awareness and hyper scanning your bubble. Here is what I mean

Situational awareness is making damn sure you have an exit point at any given time. You are constantly scanning side rear front for cars, on ramps off ramps etc. There are far to many scenarios to address here. Hyper Scanning is just that and it works with situation awareness and exit strategies. You are constantly scanning evaluating and determining your way out, this means you keep a bubble you are comfortable with. That bubble is simply an area that you assess for safe riding in certain conditions. As an example keeping at min 3 car lengths in front 3 in back and being able to see the drivers face in a mirror or side by side or you just in front out of the blind spot of a car. If I cannot make this happen I do the getty-up-go throttle response technique meaning I get the hell out of that situation as safely as possible. Lane position is another lesson but for simplicity Far left lane you ride the Right side (This allows Cars to See you in Side View Mirrors) Center you choice right or left Just be very aware of off on ramps and idiots passing in and out behind you (It all becomes natural at some point) right lane you ride the left side and are UBER, UBER mindful of you surroundings, as dip SHIT for brains wanker ass cagers IQ drop out of there butts when on ramp off ramp panic occurs.

Long Story Shortened, Situational Awareness + Scanning * Bubble = Good ride But never underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot always assume they dont see you as it is said Ride Like you are invisable

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

A riding safety course is highly recommended. Sign up for one asap.

A few tips.

1.Group rides are to be avoided for a while. Slow guys in the back try to keep up/catch up to faster riders and then bad things happen. Ride your own ride, at your pace.

2. The time to brake for a corner is BEFORE you hit the corner. If you touch the brakes while in a corner, your bike will stand up straight and you will run off the road. Dont touch the brakes while leaning over. In a couple years you can learn "trail braking" while in a corner, but don't even consider that now.

3. Look where you want to go. Your bike always goes where you are looking. Try to ride with your eyes 30 feet or so ahead. Pick your lines around corners, that is where your bike will go. It will become second nature after a while.

4.Never look at potential obstacles. When you see a pothole or a big rock or tree on side of road, dont look at it or you will run right into it. Look where you want to go.

5. Never look at cars coming the other way, especially when coming around a corner. You already saw them, so now look where you want to go, look ahead mid corner, where you enter the apex, then look ahead at the exit to the corner and lean appropriately.

6.Hit a corner going too fast? DONT PANIC OR BRAKE! you are already in the corner so just lean more. You can lean alot further than you realize, and a good lean will get you through.

Have fun, focus on the above advice as braking in corners, looking at other cars/obstacles are the two things that kill new riders the most often.

A riding safety course is highly recommended. Sign up for one asap.  
A few tips.

1.Group rides are to be avoided for a while. Slow guys in the back try to keep up/catch up to faster riders and then bad things happen. Ride your own ride, at your pace.

2. The time to brake for a corner is BEFORE you hit the corner. If you touch the brakes while in a corner, your bike will stand up straight and you will run off the road. Dont touch the brakes while leaning over. In a couple years you can learn "trail braking" while in a corner, but don't even consider that now.

3. Look where you want to go. Your bike always goes where you are looking. Try to ride with your eyes 30 feet or so ahead. Pick your lines around corners, that is where your bike will go. It will become second nature after a while.

4.Never look at potential obstacles. When you see a pothole or a big rock or tree on side of road, dont look at it or you will run right into it. Look where you want to go.

5. Never look at cars coming the other way, especially when coming around a corner. You already saw them, so now look where you want to go, look ahead mid corner, where you enter the apex, then look ahead at the exit to the corner and lean appropriately.

6.Hit a corner going too fast? DONT PANIC OR BRAKE! you are already in the corner so just lean more. You can lean alot further than you realize, and a good lean will get you through.

Have fun, focus on the above advice as braking in corners, looking at other cars/obstacles are the two things that kill new riders the most often.

I absolutely consider myself a beginner, and all of this is great advice. From one beginner to another, listen to all of what he said.

1. My father in-law recently let me take his old 2001 VStar 1100 home with me as a 2nd bike. Me and a buddy rode together on it and my FZ07 swapping up from time to time. ALWAYS set your own pace. No matter what, YOU must be in control of the bike, NOT the guy in front of you. Your bike and theirs, your skill and theirs, are not equal. If they are faster, they can always pull over and wait.

2. Pace yourself. Slowly build confidence in your skill, and in the beginning take cornering slow enough that you WANT to accelerate, not scare yourself so you instinctually want to brake. Gradually increase your speed.

3. FOCUS

4. SEE the pothole, or gravel, etc. and then look beside it. You should be going slow enough that you will have plenty of time to see the problem and then change course.

5. Again, see the obstacle and then look around it. You don't need to see them talking on their phone drinking coffee. See them, and then navigate your own lane.

6. Shet WILL happen, you WILL make a mistake and go too fast for your skill level. You have to fight that urge to squeeze the brake when you enter a curve. Your bike is WAY better at cornering than you are. Lean harder, and don't squeeze that lever.

TennesseeCrusin

This might be a silly question. I see everyone say lean harder into corners, if going to fast. Just so I know I'm understanding, I do lean towards the inside of the corner, correct? The side I'm turning?

Yes if you are turning right and realize you are not turning enough do not brake to slow down just lean further to the right.

Archived