The MT-07 Forum

Lets talk chain/sprocket upgrades...

pgeldz

I've been looking for a 17 tooth front sprocket for the stock 525 chain. So far nothing. If anyone KNOWS of one please post up.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member
I've been looking for a 17 tooth front sprocket for the stock 525 chain. So far nothing. If anyone KNOWS of one please post up.
I'm pretty sure @bellissimoto can help you here! He was huge help for me when looking for my 520 swap! (ended up getting 16/42) I know there are 15 to 17 front sprockets available so check it out with @bellissimoto
Oh, and yes you should be able to keep the stock chain as 16/43 and 17/43 both should use 108 links chain.

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

I have been chasing a 17t as well for the same reasons as as above but still haven't found one. On another project at the moment so the 07 is getting neglected mod wise ( I have my HEL brakelines sitting waiting to go on as well) so haven't been chasing it. Would really like to do this mod though  it would shorten my wheelbase a bit as well.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
I have been chasing a 17t as well for the same reasons as as above but still haven't found one. On another project at the moment so the 07 is getting neglected mod wise ( I have my HEL brakelines sitting waiting to go on as well) so haven't been chasing it. Would really like to do this mod though  it would shorten my wheelbase a bit as well.
You can get a 17T from Vortex: https://www.vortexracing.com/shop/sprocket/111/

But as I said, check with @bellissimoto as he may be able do something for you!

- Pancho
  • Like 1

I went to the site and it doesn't give me listings of anything except OEM (ie.16) in 525.
If it were important I would indeed chase up bellissimoto but I will wait until the current chain goes ( which is looking like soon as it has tight spots already), and go 520. Plenty available for that.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

For commuting purposes, it's possible to find steel sprockets in a wide range of sizes on a 530 chain conversion. That is,

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF579
http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTR479

But,
1) Does anyone know if the FZ-07 can even accommodate that extra +1/16" chain width?
2) And JTF579 is 0.2mm narrower than the stock front. So is -0.2mm ok, or do we have to shim?

• Premium Member
I went to the site and it doesn't give me listings of anything except OEM (ie.16) in 525. If it were important I would indeed chase up bellissimoto but I will wait until the current chain goes ( which is looking like soon as it has tight spots already), and go 520. Plenty available for that.

Not sure if you saw the "select your pitch" drop down list?. From there you can select 520, 525 or 530 and it will show you all products available for that pitch. For 525, if you click later on the aluminum rear sprockets there are a lot to pick form 35 to 54 and from 15 to 17 for front sprockets.

You can also select a chain if you want to swap to another pitch and also calculate the chain links you will need for a particular combo.  

- Pancho

I'm going to start with a 38t rear, and go further down to 35 if needed.
Same results. Though I had hoped I could fit a 17t front easily.
I hate the payment. No paypal, no way to pay.

• Premium Member
I'm going to start with a 38t rear, and go further down to 35 if needed. Same results. Though I had hoped I could fit a 17t front easily.
I hate the payment. No paypal, no way to pay.
That's something @bellissimoto can assist you too! Trust me, PM him! You wont regret it!

- Pancho

You can buy Vortex stuff pretty much anywhere, but of course they may not carry every option...

200 miles, my first real ride of the FZ yesterday and I thought the engine was quite smooth. To the point I accidentally left it in 5th gear several times. I shift by ear and tingle, and frankly 5500+rpm was not at all noticeable. I have a 2WDW flash and according to some locals, that's the reason it's so smooth. Frankly I didn't see any point in going below 3300 RPM even when in putting around mode. 3700-5200 is the proper steady-state range for this engine IMO.

I slightly prefer the thrum of my SV650 and even after adjusting most of the slack out of the throttle cable and despite 2WDW's efforts, my carbies have a much nicer, less abrupt response during on/off throttle transition.

@level41, if you can try to avoid a small, even multiple between the 2 sprockets. It'll help in sprocket and chain wear.

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 3 months later...

Yeah, first ride yesterday.
The bike can do 30mph in 6th, @2k rpm, but doesn't like it.
35mph in 6th @21xx rpm is much better.

If I can get a fitting 17t front, I will do the swap. That's only a 6% gearing increase.
I want to go for a 10% gearing increase, for easy calculation (so I don't need a speedo correction device).
I really want a 14% increase. That would make my gears spaced out a bit more, and more optimized for cruising and better mpg, but it would make the conversion so much harder. I'm not into hooliganism, and the bike (I find) has plenty of acceleration from the bottom of the rev range.
But even a 10% gearing change, gives a decent mpg boost for hwy (by allowing the bike to remain in Eco mode on the hwy).

Swapped the front sprocket for a 15t from JD last week. I'm really loving it! The bike's hooliganism is probably in FZ09 territory now.  :P
This mod along with the r6 throttle tube really transformed the bike for me. Great value for money in both cases.

I don't use the bike for commuting so it's 100% fun>consumption for me. Another positive byproduct of the swap is that the bike's more responsive @ highway speeds. I usually ride @ around 75mph on the highway and that's now around 5400rpm rather than 5k. This means that if I need to accelerate fast I don't need  to downshift like I used to.  All in all really happy with the change. Definitely never going back.  ;)

• Like 1

My bike hit and indicated 141mph with 16/45. Idk how fast that is because speedo is off.
Your real speed should be around: 141/45*41=~128.5 MPH

Yeaaa! Finally got a 17 tooth front on the way.

It's a Vortex for the OEM chain and rear sprocket.

I'm surprised by the amount of people that want to lower geearing on this bike. I feel it's reving too high, you can leave a stop in 3rd gear.

• Like 1

I'm surprised by the amount of people that want to lower geearing on this bike. I feel it's reving too high, you can leave a stop in 3rd gear.

Who would have thought that different people have different needs and tastes, huh? Strange world I'm telling ya....

Who would have thought that different people have different needs and tastes, huh? Strange world I'm telling ya....

Yeah, who'da thunk it?

Got front sprocket off, waiting for 17 tooth to arrive Friday.

For any that have done this, does it fit with the plastic chain gaurd inside the cover?

Enough slack in the chain to adjust correctly?

I've gone 1 up on most every bike I've owned with no problems.

When I'm done I'll post up if it works out.

• Like 1

Me too! Will arrive either today or tomorrow! 
If you're putting the 17T on the stock bike, there should be enough chain to fit a +2 or +3T easily, although the rear wheel will need to be adjusted all the way to the front with 2 or 3T (regardless if the tooth are added on the front, rear or combination of both sprockets).

You could do +1 front, -1t rear, and your chain wouldn't need adjusting (save just to take the sprockets off).
I never notice the chain wear indicators. My chains last me well over 10k miles, and by that time, my bikes are mostly sold (save for my 250cc which now has almost 20k miles on it).
  • Like 1

Got the 17 tooth on no problems. This is with OEM chain and 43 tooth rear sprocket. I'm only at 2900 miles so I'm not worried about the chain being too worn. Too cold to ride though to test it out.

• Like 1

Got the 17 tooth on no problems. This is with OEM chain and 43 tooth rear sprocket. I'm only at 2900 miles so I'm not worried about the chain being too worn. Too cold to ride though to test it out.
Me too.
I'd say not a lot of difference measured in most gears (is only 6%).
But second gear definitely feels more safe. The front wheel stays on the ground, even at full throttle.

• Like 1

Got to ride today with the 17 tooth sprocket. I like it. Now 1st gear is useful, you don't feel like it's too low to even use.

RPM is reduced 6.25% over all the gears. Just feels right where it is now.

• Like 3