The MT-07 Forum

Lets talk chain/sprocket upgrades...

pgeldz

• Global Moderator

108 should be the correct links for the proper wheelbase... but when the tension adjustment on your axles is nearing its max travel and still not in spec... its time to drop a link or two

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 1 month later...

Kinda an older thread but I made a few phone calls to shops regarding the 520 chain. All the different people all said the same thing. For the benefits that we would receive from going from 525 to a 520 are no where near the price we pay. Everyone said endless you are racing there is no point to going down to a 520 chain.

Also they said the same thing about aluminum vs steel sprockets. Are you only racing or do you street ride? If you ride on the street then get steel. The aluminum sprockets are too soft for daily street use and you would need to replace them often.

Also by doing anything other then stock gearing the speedo will be off. Regardless if you keep the front stock.

Adding to that I talked with Nels from 2 Wheel Dyno and he said there should be an update coming very soon that will negate the use of a speedo healer. When tuning the ECM they can adjust for the sprocket change. That will save us $80+ for the healer.

• Global Moderator
Kinda an older thread but I made a few phone calls to shops regarding the 520 chain. All the different people all said the same thing. For the benefits that we would receive from going from 525 to a 520 are no where near the price we pay. Everyone said endless you are racing there is no point to going down to a 520 chain.  
Also they said the same thing about aluminum vs steel sprockets. Are you only racing or do you street ride? If you ride on the street then get steel. The aluminum sprockets are too soft for daily street use and you would need to replace them often.

Also by doing anything other then stock gearing the speedo will be off. Regardless if you keep the front stock.

Adding to that I talked with Nels from 2 Wheel Dyno and he said there should be an update coming very soon that will negate the use of a speedo healer. When tuning the ECM they can adjust for the sprocket change. That will save us $80+ for the healer.
the speedo healer advertised for our bikes doesnt work. or at least the two i tried didnt work, and that was with a t2 tech rep walking through the install with me via skype. 
the first time i received a dead unit.... or so they said. second time, the unit wouldnt power up even though backprobing connectors revealed power getting to the unit.

kinda sucks the update isnt available yet.... i have Nel's flash.. i love it

the speedo healer advertised for our bikes doesnt work. or at least the two i tried didnt work, and that was with a t2 tech rep walking through the install with me via skype. 
the first time i received a dead unit.... or so they said. second time, the unit wouldnt power up even though backprobing connectors revealed power getting to the unit.

At last the voice of common sense, as for the healer if other 07's are the same as mine its only 2/3 mph out at any speed so if you want to be dead on just add 2/3 mph to what ever speed you want but it reality it makes little difference, unlike
most Suzuki were they are out by about 3 mph at 30 and 10 at the ton, the miles are more or less dead on though the
mpg trip is about 5 mpg low, we just like to spend money on our pets then convince our selves we can feel the difference
but there's nothing wrong in that, after all here in the UK at least the slightly fast speedo gives a little more buffer when
passing speed checks.
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
I am interested in how pgeldz sprocket size choice worked out. I am guessing it's geared a little too short now?
I don't think so (geared too short).  I love it! 
Just pulls harder in every gear.  Remember though, going +2 in the rear will not let you be in the middle of the adjustment range and your wheelbase will be shorter, so more wheelie prone on two accounts (shorter wheelbase AND gearing).

To combat this, I added a link and my wheelbase is slightly longer than stock.  Worked out perfectly...you get the added acceleration of the new gearing, but the front end doesn't skyrocket like it normally would.  Best of both worlds.

:)

- Paulie
  • Like 2

At last the voice of common sense, as for the healer if other 07's are the same as mine its only 2/3 mph out at any speed so if you want to be dead on just add 2/3 mph to what ever speed you want but it reality it makes little difference, unlike
most Suzuki were they are out by about 3 mph at 30 and 10 at the ton, the miles are more or less dead on though the
mpg trip is about 5 mpg low, we just like to spend money on our pets then convince our selves we can feel the difference
but there's nothing wrong in that, after all here in the UK at least the slightly fast speedo gives a little more buffer when
passing speed checks.

Just by changing the rear from 43t to 46t will change the ratio by about 7%. Your speedo will be 7% off, on top of how much it is off from the factory. Motorcycles are notorious for being more then 10% from the factory. My GSXR is 14% high and its completely stock. You can totally just add the difference yourself but remember that percentage doesn't change so at higher speeds the gap increases. At 25mph it's off by 3.5 mph. At 75 mph it's off by 10.5 mph.

That also effects your mileage. If your someone that plans on selling later on and wants their mileage to be correct then it is important to have that percentage as close to 0 as possible.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this already, but I'd recommend staying away from aluminum sprockets for anything but track use. I used one before and got only about 15k miles out of it and that was running it a lot longer than I should have. By the time I changed it out my front steel sprocket and chain were still in great shape but the rear aluminum one was worn to the point that a few teeth had broken off of it. Plus the only time you're ever going to notice the weight savings is when you're changing them out and holding one in each hand.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Its interesting how what else you've ridden effects your perception of the FZ-07 gearing. Mine's stablemate is a 2002 Aprilia Caponord. Much taller gearing with more torque. But 165 lbs heavier. I get on the FZ07, and it feels geared SHORT to me! Hahaha!

One of the reasons I'm gearing mine UP is to move the ECO mode upper limit ~5400rpm from ~75mph in 6th, to about 79-80mph. Then I can cruise around 75-76 and not be jumping in & out of ECO mode (close-loop on O2 sensor). Noticeable improvement in fuel economy when you keep ECO displayed.

Just ordered a Vortex 17t CS and will try that next week for a ride to San Diego & back. Mt.Palomar is calling! :-)

Catfish ...

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
With 16/43 sprockets, the stock ratio is 2.68 to 1 (43 divided by 16). So, one tooth on the front equals 2.68 on the rear.

I thought about the possibility of me lowering the gearing, but I'm not certain whether or not I will.
If I do, I'll try 1 tooth less on the front.

I feel that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear are just fine for the sport riding I do - well-spaced with no big gaps from gear-to-gear.
Then, there's a gap from 3rd to 4th that I wish wasn't there (wish 4th was a bit lower and closer to 3rd).
It's not bad, but noticeable.

To me, 6th gear is already quite tall, and I couldn't imagine anybody wanting to gear the bike taller, still.

Don't forget that unless you don't mind a messed-up speedometer/odometer, you'll need to buy a speedometer correction device if you change the sprockets.
I'd also buy a new front sprocket nut because the nut is locked in position by staking a rib on the nut into a cutout on the sprocket shaft, and once you unstake it to get the nut off, you're supposed to throw it away and replace it.

Old thread, but relevant none the less. Has anyone succesfully re-used the front sprocket nut? I carefully bent the tabs out, haven't removed it yet as I have to get a 30mm socket.

Anyway, I ordered what I thought was the correct part but was wrong. Looking at another week off the road waiting for a replacement and I'm dying inside. (my scoot is my main transportation, I'm limited to a minivan with no a.c. until then)

Everything went braap.

With 16/43 sprockets, the stock ratio is 2.68 to 1 (43 divided by 16). So, one tooth on the front equals 2.68 on the rear.

I thought about the possibility of me lowering the gearing, but I'm not certain whether or not I will.
If I do, I'll try 1 tooth less on the front.

I feel that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear are just fine for the sport riding I do - well-spaced with no big gaps from gear-to-gear.
Then, there's a gap from 3rd to 4th that I wish wasn't there (wish 4th was a bit lower and closer to 3rd).
It's not bad, but noticeable.

To me, 6th gear is already quite tall, and I couldn't imagine anybody wanting to gear the bike taller, still.

Don't forget that unless you don't mind a messed-up speedometer/odometer, you'll need to buy a speedometer correction device if you change the sprockets.
I'd also buy a new front sprocket nut because the nut is locked in position by staking a rib on the nut into a cutout on the sprocket shaft, and once you unstake it to get the nut off, you're supposed to throw it away and replace it.
Old thread, but relevant none the less. Has anyone succesfully re-used the front sprocket nut? I carefully bent the tabs out, haven't removed it yet as I have to get a 30mm socket.

Anyway, I ordered what I thought was the correct part but was wrong. Looking at another week off the road waiting for a replacement and I'm dying inside. (my scoot is my main transportation, I'm limited to a minivan with no a.c. until then)

I have be re installing mine. Haven't had a single issue with reusing it. Changed to a 15 and back to the 16 a few times and reused the stock nut every time.

• Like 1

I've heard changing sprockets can rack up your mileage. what does the odometer read off of?

Yes it does. Re read previous posts on the thread. It will explain how and why it's affected.

thomascrown

I went with a 17t front sprocket. Lost some roll on power and wheelyability, but I like the long first gear, and lower freeway rpms.

• Like 1

Just need to watch your speed. There are gear ratio calculators that will tell you your percentage it has changed by. Your speed might stay 60mph but you will be going faster. So watch out for cops.

The stock speedo is seriously out in Aussie model at least. GPS gives 100kph for 108 indicated (or 8% high). Higher gearing would actually get it closer to right.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator

When i dropped 2t off rear sprocket my indicated 60mph is 59.4mph according to Waze navigation app and 59.2mph via a standalone garmin device

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this already, but I'd recommend staying away from aluminum sprockets for anything but track use. I used one before and got only about 15k miles out of it and that was running it a lot longer than I should have. By the time I changed it out my front steel sprocket and chain were still in great shape but the rear aluminum one was worn to the point that a few teeth had broken off of it. Plus the only time you're ever going to notice the weight savings is when you're changing them out and holding one in each hand.
I would recommend exactly the opposite! If you mainly ride street and tour, an aluminum sprocket would make most sense. For track racing, steel sprockets would make more sense.
On the streets you probably are going to wear the sprocket less than on the tracks.
Also, on the streets if you will want to change the gearing ratio beyond the 40-47t available in steel, you'd have no alternative than to order in aluminum.
I had a VT750 before, with 55-57lb ft of torque, vs the 46 on the FZ-07, and I ran a 38t and a 35t from the stock 40t, and the 35t lasted me well beyond 5k miles (I only did 5k miles with it, but it still looked good).
Aluminum sprockets of 40t last you well above 25k miles.

If you're looking for Eco riding, but don't want to give up top speed, following sprocket setups are to resemble stock 6th gear ratio in 5th, and in 4th.

Stock: 16:43t ; top speed 6th
- 7MPH @ 1400 RPM (1st gear)
- 035MPH @ 2366RPM in 6th

= 45lb ft of torque

Eco 1: 17:40t ; +14% upgeared ; -1 link chain; top speed 5th
- 8MPH @ 1400 RPM (1st gear)
- 040MPH @ 2366RPM in 6th

= 39lb ft of torque

Eco 2: 17:35t ; +20% upgeared ; -2 link ; top speed 4th
- 9MPH @ 1400 RPM (1st gear)
- 50MPH @ 2366RPM in 6th

= 36lb ft of torque

Interesting fact:
Rebelgears lists in their catalog the extremes of the rear sprocket they make,
from 33t to 120t; and front from 15t to 17t for the FZ-07
Source: http://rebelgears.com/images/RebelGears_2015_CatalogDISC.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was looking at dropping several teeth off the rear. The mpg on this bike seems to really crap out over 60 mph and most of my riding is highway. Is there a manufacturer of steel rears with lower tooth count and could I use the stock chain?

• Premium Member
I was looking at dropping several teeth off the rear. The mpg on this bike seems to really crap out over 60 mph and most of my riding is highway. Is there a manufacturer of steel rears with lower tooth count and could I use the stock chain?
@panchobullet dropped 2 teeth from the rear and felt that it hurt acceleration too much.  He's trying a -1 tooth set up on the rear to see if it's better...awaiting his results. 

- Paulie
  • Like 2

• Global Moderator
@panchobullet dropped 2 teeth from the rear and felt that it hurt acceleration too much.  He's trying a -1 tooth set up on the rear to see if it's better...awaiting his results. 

- Paulie
Pancho needs to use his right wrist more... accel is fine @ -2 in the rear...
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

- Paulie
Pancho needs to use his right wrist more... accel is fine @ -2 in the rear...
@panchobullet, want to weigh in here? 
- Paulie