The MT-07 Forum

Lets talk chain/sprocket upgrades...

pgeldz

scordiaboy515

Ordered my Vortex Cat5 in blue......be here the middle of the week....https://www.vortexracing.com/shop/sprocket/111/

• 3 months later...

If I was racing on a short track or lived in a big city I would probably be fine with the std gearing or even gear down. But I don't I live in a small town , out of town and mostly tour and short tour with the MT. The gearing is wayyyy too short . 4000rm for 100kph is fuel wasteful and way undergeared. Town riding can easily be done in 6th. I want to gear UP. A motor this torquey that produces power as low in the rpm would be completely happy with higher gearing and I would get better fuel economy, which I need with this princess tiny tank.
Also in a desperate attempt to bias the weight a bit more forward going to 16/41 would give me a link longer swingarm( axle position) which might help the front turn-in.
I found an Aussie dealer for supersprox would be helpful, if the bother to stock an MT07 one. Aussie dealers of anything are basically useless unless you own a bike that has a giant market share.

• Like 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 7 months later...
If I was racing on a short track or lived in a big city I would probably be fine with the std gearing or even gear down. But I don't I live in a small town , out of town and mostly tour and short tour with the MT. The gearing is wayyyy too short . 4000rm for 100kph is fuel wasteful and way undergeared. Town riding can easily be done in 6th. I want to gear UP. A motor this torquey that produces power as low in the rpm would be completely happy with higher gearing and I would get better fuel economy, which I need with this princess tiny tank. Also in a desperate attempt to bias the weight a bit more forward going to 16/41 would give me a link longer swingarm( axle position) which might help the front turn-in.
I found an Aussie dealer for supersprox would be helpful, if the bother to stock an MT07 one. Aussie dealers of anything are basically useless unless you own a bike that has a giant market share.
Interesting concept. What have you so far been able to do to the bike?
How many tooth does it fit, front and rear?

Nothing done. Nothing available unless you go to 520 chain. Eventually I will go 520 when any of the stock Chain, rear or front sprocket need replacing

That was the situation last time I looked. Not totally sure there is actually enough room around the outside of the 16 for a 17 anyway now I look at it properly. Bit unbelievable that more isn't available for one of the biggest selling bikes in the world.

It may feel under geared but it is quite a bit over geared
something like 143 mph in top at max power revs, and to
get to the red line in top 147 mph you would have to chuck it
off mount Everest with a following wind. in most conditions
it's likely faster in 5th.

I think a larger front sprocket might help for beginner riders, who find the torque off the line a bit too much.

It also helps fuel economy, for those that would like to use the bike as a touring bike; or it might ride a lot easier on the highway for those that buy this bike as a commuter.

• Like 1

I am not very Knowledgeable regarding Chains. Help me out here.

Is there something undesirable about the stock 525 chain?

If so, what makes the 520 size chain/sprocket combo better?

525 chain is fine. The "stock" chain is not the best chain available and is one reason for switching. 520 is lighter so it's considered a performance upgrade.

• Global Moderator

I think 2 smaller in the rear would offer a longer 1st gear, on also increase the wheel base slightly.

Lowering the rear sprocket to 41 i actually was able to shorten the wheelbase by 1 link
went ro a 520 106 link chain

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Actually it's funny you say that because wanting to gear up , lengthening the wheel base would be a plus for me. Shift a little more load to the front wheel, and improve the front end feel.

• Global Moderator
Actually it's funny you say that because wanting to gear up , lengthening the wheel base would be a plus for me. Shift a little more load to the front wheel, and improve the front end feel.
Wouldnt a longer wheelbase increase the leverage of the rear swingarm essentially increasing weight on the rear ?

The stock sprockets are 16/43t on this bike, with a 525 chain, which supposedly has 108 links.

I'm just going over a few chain options, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on some of the math:

If the stock chain has 108 links , then gearing commander tells me, if I went to a 520 chain with 16/43t sprockets, I'd probably need one with 126 links.
The gearing ratio remains the same.

Considering that the chain is weaker than a 525 link chain, I probably better get a 17t sprocket up front, to have lower stresses on the chain.
A 17/43t sprocket system, I would probably need a 520 pitch chain, with 128 links.

To go back to near to stock gear ratio, the rear sprocket has to be 45t.

The 520 pitch chain needed for a 17/45t, would be a 129 link.
Since links only go in even pairs, a 128 link would come closest.

17 / 45 t

[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]128[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]58[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]6.1[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]30.0[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]120 MPH in 6th[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]Stock Best top speed
[/tbody] 
- Sprocket F/R: Front / Rear sprocket tooth count
- # links: Chain links for a 520 pitch chain
- MPG (est): Estimated MPG compared to stock
- 1st @ 1.2k RPM: Speed when in 1st gear idling
- 6th @ 2k RPM: Lowest speed to maintain in 6th gear
- Top @ 8k RPM: Top speed at 8k RPM (powerband), Lower RPM when gearing would not allow the bike to reach 8k RPM.
- Comments: Generic comments

PS: The front / rear tooth ratio is not always 3:1.
Changing 1 tooth up front will be the same as changing the amount of rear sprocket teeth, divided by the front one.
With a 16/43, going 1 tooth up in front would equal about 2.6tooth on the rear.

I notice I can start in second easy enough, then then as soon as it feels ready, I will gas up to 5,000 , then upshift twice , so now I'm in fourth, it will still accell hard.

Pitch is the same for 520 vs 525 chain.  525 is just wider.

The stock sprockets are 16/43t on this bike, with a 525 chain, which supposedly has 108 links. 
I'm just going over a few chain options, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on some of the math:

If the stock chain has 108 links , then gearing commander tells me, if I went to a 520 chain with 16/43t sprockets, I'd probably need one with 126 links.

Considering that the chain is weaker than a 525 link chain, I probably better get a 17t sprocket up front, to have lower stresses on the chain.
A 17/43t sprocket system, I would probably need a 520 pitch chain, with 128 links.

[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none] 17 / 45 t

[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]128[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]58[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]6.1[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]30.0[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]120 MPH in 6th[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]Stock Best top speed
[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]17 / 43 t[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]128[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]60.7[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]6.4[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]31.4[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]~115MPH 6th@7.3k RPM[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]Better MPG[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]17 / 39 t[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]126[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]67[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]7[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]34.6[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]118 MPH in 5th[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]Best top speed[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]17 / 37 t[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]124[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]70.5[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]7.4[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]36.5[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]~113 MPH 5th@7k RPM[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]Great city riding, lowest top speed[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]17 / 35 t[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]124[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]74.5[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]7.85[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]38.5[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]114 MPH in 4th[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]Great city riding[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]17 / 34 t[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]124[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]76.76[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]8.1[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]39.7[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]118 MPH in 4th[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]Best MPG, Best top speed, Best City riding[/tbody] 
- Top @ 8k RPM: Top speed at 8k RPM (powerband), Lower RPM when gearing would not allow the bike to reach 8k RPM.

Changing 1 tooth up front will be the same as changing the amount of rear sprocket teeth, divided by the front one.

525 chain is not necessarily stronger than 520. depends on chain quality. In fact the longer chain pins can be weaker by virtue of length to thickness ratio. Considering R6's run 520 on the racetrack, the relatively miniscule HP output of the MT/FZ is not going to be an issue for chain strength.
Not that anubody is likely to do it but 17/34 is 2:1. You should NOT run whole integer ratios for reasons of chain wear ( plus a few others). Not 17/51 nor 16/48 either.

• Global Moderator

Yes... a 525vx if the DID customer service line is to be believed

When i got a kink in my stock chain i called em up to see about a replacement... i ended up with the 520 kit

When i got a kink in my stock chain i called em up to see about a replacement... i ended up with the 520 kit
Not sure of the brand, but the stock chain I cut off had black o-ring seals rather than x-ring seals.   

• Global Moderator
Not sure of the brand, but the stock chain I cut off had black o-ring seals rather than x-ring seals. 
Thats what i was told by a customer service rep for did... i dont think he understood me very well
could the mt come with a different chain that the fz?
ended up with the 520erv3 xring

Looking at the chain its a 525VAZ
da8ae0ebeb34a60e5a80840da2fced82.jpg

The DID 525VAZ is the stock chain for the MT-07 in Europe.
Not a surprise that's the same for the FZ too...

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

525 chain is not necessarily stronger than 520. depends on chain quality. In fact the longer chain pins can be weaker by virtue of length to thickness ratio. Considering R6's run 520 on the racetrack, the relatively miniscule HP output of the MT/FZ is not going to be an issue for chain strength. Not that anubody is likely to do it but 17/34 is 2:1. You should NOT run whole integer ratios for reasons of chain wear ( plus a few others). Not 17/51 nor 16/48 either.
In this case it doesn't matter that much, since each chain link will see each tooth exactly once every 17 teeth (or every 17 rotations). It would be bad if the chainlink would see the same teeth every 2 or 3 rotations.

Pitch is the same for 520 vs 525 chain.  525 is just wider.

[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none] 17 / 45 t

[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]17 / 43 t[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]128[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]60.7[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]6.4[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]31.4[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]~115MPH 6th@7.3k RPM[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]Better MPG[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]17 / 39 t[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]126[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]67[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]7[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]34.6[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]118 MPH in 5th[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]Best top speed[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]17 / 37 t[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]124[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]70.5[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]7.4[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]36.5[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]~113 MPH 5th@7k RPM[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]Great city riding, lowest top speed[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]17 / 35 t[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]124[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]74.5[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]7.85[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]38.5[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]114 MPH in 4th[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]Great city riding[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]17 / 34 t[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]124[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]76.76[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]8.1[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]39.7[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]118 MPH in 4th[td style=padding:3px;border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);border-image:none]Best MPG, Best top speed, Best City riding[/tbody] 

I've had some conflicting data concerning this. But some sites indeed seem to indicate that the pitch of a 525 chain is the same as a 520 chain.
If that's the case, you just have to multiply the links in the table by 0.5, and divide it by 0.625, to get the correct # of links.