The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 Akrapovic carbon modified baffle?

kriptikracing

kriptikracing

Anyone modify their akrapovic carbon baffle?  I know some of the titanium guys drill holes and/or cut the baffle an inch or two.  However, I haven't seen anyone modify the baffle on the carbon model.  I wonder if it'll yield same results...a happy medium sound between baffle in/out.  I love having the baffle out but coming home at 11pm or leaving home at 5am...makes me sound like a motorcycle gang of 1 lol.  I haven't got any complaints from neighbors, but I've only had my exhaust for a week.  It's hilarious being in 6th gear at 25mph.

I recommend putting the baffle back in because if you take off out of your drive way in the morning you can idle past your immediate neighbors and not bother anyone. (which gives it time to warm up without hurting it anyway) Then, when you're past a half a dozen homes you can get start to get on the gas a little. It's plenty loud with baffle in and hard on the throttle when it's warmed up after a minute. It just doesn't seem necessary to drill holes for a pipe that can be quiet or loud, depending on how you throttle it. GL, whatever you do! (try 4th gear at 25)

Beemer

There were early reports that the Akra carbon gives slightly MORE power with the baffle in. I do not know whether that was with a reflash to match the unbaffled muffler though.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

topazsparrow
There were early reports that the Akra carbon gives slightly MORE power with the baffle in. I do not know whether that was with a reflash to match the unbaffled muffler though.

I can well imagine there would be more power without a tune, or something like a mild PC5 Tune.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I noticed a decent improvement in torque on the ol' butt dyno when I popped the baffle out and the active tune sorted it out. It was especially noticeable in 6'th gear.

On stock ecu map, the baffles in create more power as it aids in creating backpressure. If you remove the baffles and tune it with a new map or modify fueling you usually create more
Power. Baffles out on stock map kinda leans things out a bit and you lose torque.

I just got mine all installed yesterday. Left the baffle in and since I'm having a problem with the Flash Tune I still have the stock tune on it. The sound is WAY better and I really wasn't expecting the change in torque and HP at the low end I got. The first test ride after it was all bolted back together I popped the front wheel off the ground accidentally. :)

Archived