The MT-07 Forum

Lean air-fuel ratio

catfishpancake

catfishpancake

This is more of a concern than perhaps a definite problem, but I've been reading in comment after comment online that the fz-07 comes running lean from the factory.  My pipes blued up very quickly - almost have 900 miles and the header pipes from header to exhaust are discolored. I was finding that the engine temp often climbing toward the 200 degree mark at a stop light on a medium hot day.

I've replaced the coolant with engine ice to help keep the temps down, which has helped.  

Should I be concerned?  Would Yamaha let bikes roll off the production line in a state of tuning that would damage the engine?  I understand that many bikes are tuned lean to help meet emissions standards.  Just seems surprising that a company that is based on reliability and quality would take the risk.

• Global Moderator

I wouldn't be too concerned. With the emissions standards nowadays all bikes run lean to meet it.
So the bike would benefit from a programmer but I doubt Yamaha delivers bikes that is unreliable because it runs lean. You will not damage the engine.
As you know, the engine is water cooled, so no worries there either. Your fan will kick in if it gets too hot.

with no intake or exhaust mods it is ok the way it is. yes its lean but its ok. start doing mods and it will be more lean. even just drilling the stock exhaust will make it worse

I've seen temps up to 225 sitting in traffic and that's when the cooling fan kicks on. It holds steady around 174 while cruising around tho so I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. If the temps kept climbing anywhere above the 225 mark then I'd start to get worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was very regular for me to see temps this high in stop'n'go traffic. I'm glad to see the temps starting to drop here in Memphis... Hopefully the bike won't be getting that hot much more until next summer.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I'd like to wire up a switch so I can kick my fan on right when they start to climb. I would prefer it stay at 180 all the time
I've thought about this too but I don't want to run the risk of forgetting to turn it on and overheat the engine. Unless there's a way to keep it so it still kicks on at 225 via the bikes ECM but also have the switch to turn it on manually.  

The fan temp sensor switch on the radiator has one wire. When the temp goes up...the temp sensor on the radiator connects to ground and the fan runs. If you connect a wire to that one wire going to the switch....and then to an "on off" switch....and the other side of the new switch to ground....you end up with an "on off" switch to ground that controls the fan. No matter if the new switch is in the on or off position...the fan will still run when the temp reaches 205 or so. However if you leave the new "on off" switch in the ON position.....the fan will run as long as the ignition is on...or the engine is running.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

The fan temp sensor switch on the radiator has one wire. When the temp goes up...the temp sensor on the radiator connects to ground and the fan runs. If you connect a wire to that one wire going to the switch....and then to an "on off" switch....and the other side of the new switch to ground....you end up with an "on off" switch to ground that controls the fan. No matter if the new switch is in the on or off position...the fan will still run when the temp reaches 205 or so. However if you leave the new "on off" switch in the ON position.....the fan will run as long as the ignition is on...or the engine is running.  

fz07 has 2 wires that go to the switch. And it's mounted on the back of the head under the throttle bodies. I put a switch on it with one wire going to the power side and the other switch wire going to ground and it worked. But when I flip the switch the Temp says hi and red light comes on. Not really sure how to wire it. Read somewhere that you can wire it to the fan itself

If it's two wire....all you need is to run the ground wire to the on off switch.

If it's two wire....all you need is to run the ground wire to the on off switch.
run the ground wire off the temp switch to the toggle switch and then ground the toggle switch? I tried that and it didn't do anything

I'm not certain you are talking about the same switch I am. The switch that triggers the fan at 210 degrees is always on the radiator. I havn't looked at mine to be honest...but every bike I ever had...the switch was located at the bottom of the radiator.

There definitely isn't one on the radiator. Unless my eyes are deceiving me. The switch I'm talking about reads the temp and I assumed that it kicked on the fan

If there is no switch on the rad and I haven't looked, then the ecu does the switching when the temp
reaches a predetermined value, it's likely it will be switched via a relay and you may be able to fit
a manual switch via that but be careful as the ecu may not take kindly to you sticking 12V on a line
that it does not expect it to be.

There is a coolant temperature sensor on the rear of the cylinder head.I see no fan switch screwed into the radiator, but there is a fan relay on board.

• Premium Member
EJK Fuel controller lowered my temps, especially at low speed/traffic conditions.
Ditto, but with the Power Commander V :) 
- Paulie

Archived