The MT-07 Forum

Dedicated GPS options?

DewMan

• Premium Member

Call me a Luddite or what have you but I prefer a dedicated GPS for numerous reasons for all my vehicles. And I'm looking for a viable option for my MT/FZ-07 .
I currently use a [a href=https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/96637]Garmin NUVI 3590 in my cages that I'm happy with. I like being able to use voice commands to tell it  "Hey Stupid, Go Home." and it calculates the best route back to the house.[/a]
I went to look into a dedicated motorcycle GPS with it's proper water repellant properties but suffered from serious sticker shock when I spied the pricing  of the ZUMO compared to cage GPS units. There's no way that adding some water repellant seals should double/triple the cost to an otherwise comparable GPS unit.
I don't mind spending money if the value of the product is good. But I'm not seeing the value in the USD$500-800 ZUMO units.

I'm not planning on any cross country trips. At most I'll be doing day trips most likely. But I do live in Florida, USA where heavy rain can pop up with little or no notice during the day.
So I either want to find a more reasonably priced motorcycle specific model or just find mounting/waterproofing options my existing 3590.
I'd like something a bit more refined, as a mounting solution for my existing Garmin, than a glorified zip-lock bag and a RAM style mount though that would be one of the cheaper options.
I've read @Avanti's excellent mounting solution thread which would be a great option except it doesn't address my waterproofing needs unless I Velcro the "glorified zip-lock bag" to it. But that would still look a bit kludged solution.
[strong]How have the rest of you resolved dedicated GPS usage without spending ZUMO pricing?[/strong] If I missed a helpful thread in my searches please let me know. :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

I got a "waterproof" cover from ebay for the GPS unit that I've not used. This cover could have Velcro installed on the back of it (the same as I put on the GPS unit) and installed onto my mount as easily as without the cover. If interested, let me know and I'll try to find, photograph, and post a pic of the cover.

I just looked at the pic of the "glorified zip-lock bag" you posted.  They are nothing like the cover I refer to above.  Mine is a fitted, black vinyl thingee with a clear panel on the front.  The GPS unit fits in it reasonably snuggly and it then zips-up.

• Premium Member

@avanti Something similar to this?

GPS.jpg

I've found several like this but they all seem to have some type of mounting hardware on the back which would be in the way of using Velcro.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Motorcycle GPS units are severly overpriced BUT!!! they usually allow glove screen inputs and bluetooth voicve instructions to your helmet. I have a Strike . Aweful to use and tiny screen but voice instructions make it OK . I use a Sena but it has it's own inhelmet speaker if you want to use it instead.
If I were doing another long trip ( over 600km) or travelling to big cities, I would get a decent motorcycle GPS as trying to fiddle with a rigged up non motorcycle one in a busy city, with no place to pull to the side of the road is a pain ( experience).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I use an older Nuvi on my bikes. It's snapped into a RAM cradle like this for yours http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-GA53U. I move it from car to either bike just by unclamping the RAM extension bit. The FZ's mount is behind the instruments, my Aprilia uses a stem mount and the car is a one-off custom piece that fits in the hole where the factory GPS could have been.

I've never had issues with gloves on my Nuvi. My phone on the aother hand, well. If it rains, I either disconnect and throw it in the tankbag or go the plastic bag route.

• Premium Member

Yeah, DewMan... that looks similar.

However, note that the "mount" on the back of the case you show is simply a flat piece of slotted plastic perhaps less than an 1/8" thick and is only in the center. It is into this flat piece that another piece (their actual mount) slides into. Hence, the flat plastic on the back of the cover is no issue for mounting it onto my aluminum bracket with velcro. The velcro I have on the aluminum mount I made--bolted to the instrument bracket--only has velcro on the sides which allows room for the flat plastic on the back of the cover to not be an issue.

Far simpler than it is to describe, but I don't have camera access at the moment.

• Premium Member
Yeah, DewMan... that looks similar.  
However, Note that the "mount" on the back of the case you show is simply a flat piece of slotted plastic perhaps less than an 1/8" thick and is only in the center. It is into this flat piece that another piece (their actual mount) slides into. Hence, the flat plastic on the back of the cover is no issue for mounting it onto my aluminum bracket with velcro. The velcro I have on the aluminum mount I made--bolted to the instrument bracket--only has velcro on the sides which allows room for the flat plastic on the back of the cover to not be an issue.

Far simpler than it is to describe, but I don't have camera access at the moment.
I'm pretty sure I've seen the one you describe... has two slots on the flat plastic that slots into bar mount. I'll take another look at it and decide if I can get it to work. Thanks @Avanti 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

DewMan, the one I have has four small slots, but I'm sure it is similar. One only needs to mount velcro onto the back of the the case, on either side of the plastic piece.

Another point I didn't mention is that the vinyl of the case is flexible enough to allow one to press it down where the velcro is (before putting the GPS into the case) to assure the velcro is adequately "stuck" down.

Archived