The MT-07 Forum

my tracer.

johnakay

14 hours ago, faffi said:

I always felt it looked a bit like a mini V-Max.

That's what a lot of people affectionately called it because of the ram air intakes on the sides, like what the VMax has. (90% of the love/hate thing)

Beemer

• Premium Member

The FAZR always reminded me of the VMAX's midget brother. 😁 But I soo wanted one.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 1 month later...
Grip it & Rip it

My dad always tells me that the VMAX he had was his favorite bike ever, which for some reason I find funny. Not sure why. He proceeds to go on about how it would always burn rubber when he would change gears, and as a result his tires would only last a few thousand miles. 

• Haha 1

Maybe he liked to change tires 🙄

😄

On a serious note, the V-Max was a pretty good muscle bike, able to also go around some corners without nearly the same troubles that most cruisers face.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 2:55 AM, Grip it & Rip it said:

My dad always tells me that the VMAX he had was his favorite bike ever, which for some reason I find funny. Not sure why. He proceeds to go on about how it would always burn rubber when he would change gears, and as a result his tires would only last a few thousand miles. 

The smoking of your dad's tires is all that mattered to your dad. It's like when you have a smoking hot girlfriend you don't care nor complain about the loss of money.

faffi - I saw a video years ago of King Kenny riding his very own Vmax and he said almost the exact same thing about it that you did. As a matter of fact he said the bike handled pretty damn good so that's saying a lot coming from him. I've tried and tried to find that article but no luck. if anyone finds it please post it here, thanks!

• Like 1

Beemer

I know Cycle World said that it handled pretty nice when they tested it cirka year 2000, give or take, but I cannot recall them having Roberts there. 

Grip it & Rip it

Well, it’s settled. Time for all of us to get VMAXs. The older ones (mid 90s or earlier) go for pretty cheap. Those are cooler anyway.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2017 at 6:58 PM, faffi said:

I know Cycle World said that it handled pretty nice when they tested it cirka year 2000, give or take, but I cannot recall them having Roberts there. 

You're probably right about him not being there then. The video I saw showed him at his home, pulling out of his driveway and hauling ass down the road on his VMAX and him commenting about the bike.

Beemer

Either one of us can have the memory off, and I am sure you are correct about Roberts commenting positively. Heck, the old man, long before he grew old, took a journalist on the back of the then new XS1100 for a lap around the old Nurburgring. Wearing nothing but street clothes and a helmet, Roberts still circulating at a record pace for street bikes, carrying the very frightened motorcycle journalist. With Roberts seemingly happy to go at speed on the XS, I have no doubt he felt good with the handling of the V-Max.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, faffi said:

Either one of us can have the memory off, and I am sure you are correct about Roberts commenting positively. Heck, the old man, long before he grew old, took a journalist on the back of the then new XS1100 for a lap around the old Nurburgring. Wearing nothing but street clothes and a helmet, Roberts still circulating at a record pace for street bikes, carrying the very frightened motorcycle journalist. With Roberts seemingly happy to go at speed on the XS, I have no doubt he felt good with the handling of the V-Max.

My foggy memory also remembers that journalist's ride but can't even remember if it was a print article or elsewhere. I'm sure at age 66 today he'd still make a lot of todays pro riders look like amateurs.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

The article was in MOTORRAD, a German magazine, but could of course also have been sold to the press in other countries.

Roberts back in 2010, still having a go

On 1/4/2018 at 3:13 PM, faffi said:

The article was in MOTORRAD, a German magazine, but could of course also have been sold to the press in other countries.

Roberts back in 2010, still having a go

I had a dream last night that I passed Kenny on my FZ-07 and a unicorn handed me a trophy! Hey, it's my only good dream, don't ruin it! 😏

• Haha 2

Beemer

• 1 month later...

johnakay, I was just looking at your pictures and noticed that you have a chain oiler on your bike, if you're still around, would you mind telling me about it and how it's working out for you...thanks, Mark

• 4 months later...

The next chain/sprocket change I do on my bike I'm switching over to a 17T sprocket up front. I'm assuming the people that have trouble with refueling on long trips due to the lack of gas stations would want to or already have done this. Thanks for the review on it!

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...

this sprocket will fit ok..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JT-17-tooth-525-pitch-front-sprocket-for-Yamaha-TDM-850-99-01-H-91-96-N-91-93/282515313867?fits=UKM_Make%3AYamaha&hash=item41c73994cb:g:h7cAAOSw-29ZOR7H

when I bought this chain oiler it was only about 50 uk pounds but now its  100 uk pounds.

I would pay that now. heres a cheaper alternative http://www.loobman.co.uk/

or you could make your own its easy enough.

• Like 1

next year I'm considering moving up to a tracer 900.

went touring over 6 days and did 1400 miles to Scottish highlands,

and found that I could do with a bit more power.

granted most other riders were on a thou bikes.

going again next year with just my wife and we'll see how it goes.

we'll see how I feel if I need to go up or stay with what I've got.

2 hours ago, johnakay said:

I plan on test riding a tracer 900 gt once they are available here. There's a good likelihood I will upgrade 

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, johnakay said:

Highlander, there can be only one!

Sorry, couldn't stop myself. 🙄

Hey, if you need more power for such places you need more. I would bet a 900 Tracer would do the job nicely but then there's the FJR1300. 😮  For two up riding plus gear it would be even nicer.

I know, that price but man, that bike!

• Like 1

Beemer

• 2 years later...

I did get the tracer 900 and went to Scottish highlands only to end up in fort William hospital.

stayed 5 nights. they didn't know what was wrong with me. the following sept had another turn,same symptoms.

this is when they found I had a very low and erratic heart beat.

got a pace maker in and now fine as a fiddle 3 years on.

after a year and a bit the tracer had to go. couldn't get along with it. lovely motor but thats it.

sold it privately and bought another tracer 700.

was looking at several other bikes but the tracer was an old model and had a big discount so bought it for £6200 on the road.

this on the last the last trip to fort william. didn't feel to good them.

70456104_2710302265646948_1321514664785346560_n (2).jpg

• Like 2