The MT-07 Forum

Battleax BT023 track pressures?

cornerslider

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Before you beat me up, I KNOW this is NOT the best track tire available, and is classified as "sport touring"..... I am upgrading to some sticky tires soon. I have a trackday memorial day weekend, and don't have time to get new rubber on before then. My background: I've been track riding for 9 years, on everything from a supermoto, to an R6. I just got my new 2016 FZ-07 broke-in/oil changed. Obviously, since it's a new bike that I haven't ridden on-track yet, I'm not going to push it too hard.... I'm just looking for a starting point, that won't get me into too much trouble. Any help would be greatly appreciated-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

If you've been track riding for any length of time I'm guessing you can read tires well enough. I'd start around 30 psi both ends and keep a close eye on them. I don't t have any experience with the 23 however. 

30 is a good starting point. The 23's are pretty ordinary though. I would watch em when they heat up. Don't know for certain as I haven't been on a track since the 07 ( no track within 400km anymore), but I suspect they will be an all or nothing tyre. Maybe it's unfair because Bridgie made 23's a while ago that were AWEFUL!, and I am painting them with the same brush. They wierd ( for bridgestone) harsh carcass could be a downer unless you like Dunlop type carcasses.
Be interested to know where you end up. On a short tight track I am guessing 26 and 27 hot, but that is a guess. Longer track 28/29? maybe more. But they are guesses based on 003's which I had on a bike of similar weight and HP.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I ended up with 27 rear, 26 front...... I took it pretty easy, since I'm still getting to know the bike. I can tell you that I used the whole radius of the tires, and never lost traction ?- just not too confidence inspiring-

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Yesterday, I found the "edge" of the OEM tires.... While I'm truly impressed with what is technically classified as a "sport-touring" OEM tire on the track. I ordered some Dunlop Q3's this morning. The OEM Bridgestone BT-023's where okay. Some have called them an "all-or-nothing" tire. I found that statement to be untrue. When I lost traction in corners, it was predictable, and gradual. I knew I found the limit several times, and backed off accordingly. I have been track riding for nine years, and feel I'm pretty good at "reading" tires. I pushed the OEM's pretty hard before they let loose. If you're a "new" track rider, my advise is to spend money on good coaching, before spending a ton of money on "premium" rubber. The Battleax BT-023 is actually a pretty decent tire in my opinion-

Yesterday, I found the "edge" of the OEM tires.... While I'm truly impressed with what is technically classified as a "sport-touring" OEM tire on the track. I ordered some Dunlop Q3's this morning. The OEM Bridgestone BT-023's where okay. Some have called them an "all-or-nothing" tire. I found that statement to be untrue. When I lost traction in corners, it was predictable, and gradual. I knew I found the limit several times, and backed off accordingly. I have been track riding for nine years, and feel I'm pretty good at "reading" tires. I pushed the OEM's pretty hard before they let loose. If you're a "new" track rider, my advise is to spend money on good coaching, before spending a ton of money on "premium" rubber. The Battleax BT-023 is actually a pretty decent tire in my opinion- 

Yeah I run Q3s on my R6 and I was pretty impressed with the BT-023s on the fz.  I even think they have a bit more traction as a street tire (cooler temps).  They don't quite have the feedback of the Q3s but they're clearly in a different category!  Heard nothing but good about those new Q3+s though, will probably be my next go-to tire. 

Q3's get a good rap for the 07 here. Lots of happy campers with them. I prefer a less harsh carcass but the weight of opinion here is very positive FOR them.
If you have been riding supermoto ( I assume that is motard?) then I suspect your idea of a slide envelope is probably much more finely tuned that the rest of us mortals.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived