The MT-07 Forum

Helmet for air flow

mcp2112

I'm looking to get a second helmet for the really hot days. I have a full face helmet that I love, but it has pretty stale air flow. A module helmet, adventure helmet or something like the Shark Drag I think would be great. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not looking to break the bank, something in the 200-300 range would be ideal.

For hot days think of going to a decent adventure helmet. They encourage way better air flow especially if you are stop/go in traffic. Way more air in front of your face. Also more use if foggy or rainy.
This looks good and in your price range:

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

[div]From what you described it sounds like you're having trouble getting enough fresh air to breath on the hot days and the sweaty face. The helmet I use that cures that while the bike is in motion is an Scorpion 1100 EXO. It has a small lever on the left side of the helmet that when you push it down it lifts the face shield up a crack to let fresh air in onto your face. It stays in that position until you lift the shiled with your hand or push the lever back up, which lowers the shield back to the fully closed position. I've complained recently about my helmet having too much air noise but that's mainly because I almost always have the shield cracked open so that's the negative about getting more air to breath, etc. (ear plugs for the fix) other than that it's a great helmet. My head doesn't get hot, it flows air well throughout the helmet, not just at the face shield. Best helmet I've ever had. Check out all the other great features it has not found in way more expensive helmets.

https://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-EXO-1100-Street-Motorcycle-Helmet/dp/B005HJD9LG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495465640&sr=8-1&keywords=scorpion+1100+exo+helmet+large

https://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-EXO-1100-Sixty-Six-Helmet-X-Small/dp/B00FH4DGSW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1495467374&sr=8-7&keywords=scorpion+1100+exo+helmet (my helmet)

If that doesn't suit you the Bell helmet gregjet posted is one I've been looking at for slower, more leisurely rides but with the visor still on to prevent the sun from mucking with my vision. The pro about this helmet not mentioned in the video is you can wear goggles with it. ( Mr.Puss ) That means you can have good eye protection without a shield and let a lot of air in but there's the negatives that go along with that to consider. More wind noise/pressure and bugs, dust, debris that can now get to your face. Forget about communication. I'm not sure whether or not the face shield can be closed if goggles are worn. On Amazon you can ask the question and get an answer, usually. I still think I'll get one for rides not more than 60 mph. and take my chances with facial pain from whatever hitting my face at speed, hopefully not squishy bugs. I could use the neck exercise anyway if I have any trouble with wind twisting my head some, ha! :D   Been there, not too big a deal if not going real fast. (you learn the do's and don't's) 
[/div]

Beemer

I have a EXO 1100, I second what Beemer says. Mine is High vis, bought it when they 1st came out for something like $350. At todays price its a fantastic deal.

I since upgraded to a Shoei gt air, I believe it flows more through vents alone. Though I miss the 1st shield notch(lever Beemer mentions) more than I ever thought I would. That notch made the scorpion flow more air without flowing directly into my eyes compared to the gt.

I had to buy a top of the line helmet for myself because I have to know first hand if they're worth the extra cash. Which I am still debating. Though I will say that scorpion is a fine piece of kit, and wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if I were you.

• Premium Member

I've got the AGV K5 helmet. Check out all the air vents on that. It's pretty good, on closeout on revzilla, and within your price range.

I own the same bell helmet that gregjet mentioned (mx9 adventure). I bought it for my dual sport, but sometimes wear it on the FZ. It flows a ton of air. The brow vents are always open and cannot be closed. This helmet looks pretty cool with the peak taken off and a smoked shield too. Very "fighter pilot" looking. I'm pretty happy with it for a sub $200 helmet.

I also have an Icon Airmada which is also a great lid for hot days. I think the Bell flows more air though.

I have a EXO 1100, I second what Beemer says. Mine is High vis, bought it when they 1st came out for something like $350. At todays price its a fantastic deal. 
I since upgraded to a Shoei gt air, I believe it flows more through vents alone. Though I miss the 1st shield notch(lever Beemer mentions) more than I ever thought I would. That notch made the scorpion flow more air without flowing directly into my eyes compared to the gt.

I had to buy a top of the line helmet for myself because I have to know first hand if they're worth the extra cash. Which I am still debating. Though I will say that scorpion is a fine piece of kit, and wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if I were you.
Thank you! The shield having the ability to be cracked open is the only thing on the whole helmet that actually helps with what we're talking about, "stale air". There are 8 vents altogether on the Scorpion EXO 1100 (more than most helmets) and they all help to flow air to keep your head cooler and that's great but the only one of them that remotely helps with air to breath is the mouth vent on the chin but like with most helmets, it sadly isn't enough. The shield lever feature on the EXO 1100 flows a lot more air than any chin vent on any helmet, including the Shoei Gt Air. Not trying to knock the Shoei GT Air, it's a good helmet but there's just no comparison when it comes to flowing air. 

Beemer

^^ Agreed.

Before the Shoei I had tried the Arai defiant pro cruise. Seriously Awesome helm.  It had vents in the chin bar in front like normal, though were a direct shot through, literally could see straight through it and its mesh inside of it.  It also had vents on the back of the chin bar that allowed even more air to pass.  The defiant pro cruise I really wanted to work, not to say the Shoei is a bad helmet but I would have rather had the Arai between the 2. Unfortunately the Arai did not fit me properly.

I just received, but have been unable to use yet an Icon Variant, I am quite hopeful it will flow better than the Shoei due to the fact it has vents on the inside of the chin bar like the Arai does.

If it fits your headshape, the Icon Airmada is pretty good on airflow. You can find older designs on closeout usually, if you want to try one out cheaply. I got mine for like $70 I think. I wear it on ridiculously hot and humid days or when my Shoei RF-1200 cheek pads are still damp from earlier in the day. Not going to be nearly as much airflow as an MX helmet, of course, but if you wanted to stick with full face, could be an option.

Archived